News Article: Lafreniere, expected No. 1 pick in 2020 NHL Draft, to skip QMJHL season

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think Mark Messier should call him and tell him if he wants to win a Stanley Cup In NY he needs to learn to play center and dominate from the middle like Mess did when he was a kid.

Too good too much vision and strength to play the wing because you don’t like to defend. Puck should be on his stick as much as possible. Maybe his skating used to hold him back or his consistency. Those aren’t weaknesses anymore. Make the switch
Why fiddle with what has already made him great? He is responsible in his own zone and has a bit of grit to him. Laf is more than good enough to lead his own line even at the wing. I wouldn't tinker with what is already special.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel that Lefreniere is the type of player who takes whatever level of production a center is and ups it like 10-20 points.

So if you have an 80 point first line center, I think he elevates him to the 90+ range.

Kind of like Chicago, or even Washington, I think we can get away with having our best players be the wings so long as we have talented centers on the roster.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I feel that Lefreniere is the type of player who takes whatever level of production a center is and ups it like 10-20 points.

So if you have an 80 point first line center, I think he elevates him to the 90+ range.

Kind of like Chicago, or even Washington, I think we can get away with having our best players be the wings so long as we have talented centers on the roster.
Which we have 1 already, and we have more than enough assets to bring in a 2C.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think he’s short changing what he can be by staying on the wing. Just my humble opinion but he’s too complete a player.

Like Aho like Mess. Completely changed their trajectories.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I can’t tell if you’re serious. I think you are. You really have it out for this kid eh? What’s the deal?
I like him. Huberdeau with an edge is what I’m hearing more and more. What’s to not like? But there are many promising prospects who end up not living to the hype because they think the talent that has gotten them so far will be enough to carry them forward. I wasn’t aware of the Q’s schedule this year — but “skating on his own” sounded kind of complacent. I wouldn’t stop going to my current work if I just got an offer to start at another place in a few weeks; it’s not responsible / professional.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I think Mark Messier should call him and tell him if he wants to win a Stanley Cup In NY he needs to learn to play center and dominate from the middle like Mess did when he was a kid.

Too good too much vision and strength to play the wing because you don’t like to defend. Puck should be on his stick as much as possible. Maybe his skating used to hold him back or his consistency. Those aren’t weaknesses anymore. Make the switch
Just because he likes Messier doesn't mean he needs to try to be Messier. Let Laf play where he is best and that's it. No need to mess around with him and start changing his game, he's too valuable to us.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just because he likes Messier doesn't mean he needs to be Messier. Let Laf play where he is best and that's it. No need to mess around with him and start changing his game, he's too valuable to us.

except that he does play a lot like messier and like messier he could switch to center because he’s more than capable of doing so.

doesn’t need to start there but he should get looks there at some point as he matures.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I like him. Huberdeau with an edge is what I’m hearing more and more. What’s to not like? But there are many promising prospects who end up not living to the hype because they think the talent that has gotten them so far will be enough to carry them forward. I wasn’t aware of the Q’s schedule this year — but “skating on his own” sounded kind of complacent. I wouldn’t stop going to my current work if I just got an offer to start at another place in a few weeks; it’s not responsible / professional.
What are you talking about?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

theres zero point in him going to play in the Q in October. He needs to get acclimated and ready for a full 82 game nhl season. Not play extra games in the Q for no reason.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
except that he does play a lot like messier and like messier he could switch to center because he’s more than capable of doing so.

doesn’t need to start there but he should get looks there at some point as he matures.
But he isn't Messier. Let's not force things with this kid

Reactions: egelband

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
With all due respect, this makes absolutely no sense. He has no obligation to return to the Q, and he has completely and totally outgrown it. He is as ready as a 1st overall pick as you can get minus Crosby/McDavid.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
But he isn't Messier. Let's not force things with this kid

What is this argument? Of course he isn’t messier. Obviously.

the example is a similar type of player being able to make that move and becoming an even better player. As I said MY OPINION is he can do the same and frankly I think he should for himself and for the franchise. Again don’t think from day 1 but I think at some point he should get some looks there as he matures.

please don’t say he isn’t messier again.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
What is this argument? Of course he isn’t messier. Obviously.

the example is a similar type of player being able to make that move and becoming an even better player. As I said MY OPINION is he can do the same and frankly I think he should for himself and for the franchise. Again don’t think from day 1 but I think at some point he should get some looks there as he matures.

please don’t say he isn’t messier again.
Right. A potential franchise LW is joining this team and you want him to play center. Just makes no sense at all. Why waste time even trying him there? Because you have some kind of vision that he can do it?

Reactions: dapowl

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
With all due respect, this makes absolutely no sense. He has no obligation to return to the Q, and he has completely and totally outgrown it. He is as ready as a 1st overall pick as you can get minus Crosby/McDavid.
As long as he shows up properly conditioned, I will more than happily eat crow. The success of our picks and this franchise is far more important than being right in a potentially outlandish suspicion. :)

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com

Completely agree. It never hurts to have more than one guy on the line taking draws.
He has the tools and defensive awareness.
No brainer.

Reactions: egelband

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
As long as he shows up properly conditioned, I will more than happily eat crow. The success of our picks and this franchise is far more important than being right in a potentially outlandish suspicion. :)
Which is why this move is for the best. Focus on training and adapting to the NHL game. I do believe Kakko playing as much as he did had some impact on his game during the first season.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Right. A potential franchise LW is joining this team and you want him to play center. Just makes no sense at all. Why waste time even trying him there? Because you have some kind of vision that he can do it?

yes that’s precisely what I said

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
yes that’s precisely what I said
And i don't think it makes any sense. Leave him at the position where he dominated. And even if they try him at center, how long will he be there? You'll need a long time to evaluate him at center and by then, he will be back at LW since that's where he is most comfortable.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You had quite a few knocks on the kid a couple of days ago. You seem to be in favor of taking Byfield with the pick, and now you’re calling him lazy/arrogant for not wanting to go back to the Q when it’s obvious that he’s ready for the NHL. Seems like you aren’t super excited to see him on Broadway like everyone else is.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
You had quite a few knocks on the kid a couple of days ago. You seem to be in favor of taking Byfield with the pick, and now you’re calling him lazy/arrogant for not wanting to go back to the Q when it’s obvious that he’s ready for the NHL. Seems like you aren’t super excited to see him on Broadway like everyone else is.
There's probably a less than 0% chance we'd stay at 1 and pick anyone not Laf, so I don't know what this person was thinking if what you say is true about his previous comments.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kind of like a Jagr, or a Kane, or an Ovechkin, I think we have great potential talent on the wings. I'm pretty cool leaving well enough alone on that one.

If you look at Lefreniere's playing style, one of the primary reasons he's probably on the wing is because of the space on the ice in which he likes to operate. He's often coming from the boards or slinking down the side. He's not really setting up behind the net, or skating into the slot and finding a streaking winger. He finds his targets from the boards, where he almost looks snakelike in how he slithers in and out of danger.

I think that's part of his magic.

And I really think we need to start leaving these kids in their proper and comfortable positions. I'm not in love with the idea of moving wings to center, right defenseman to the left, etc. I think we have some amazing pieces, that are just fine where they've thrived to this point.

The focus needs to be on helping our young players transition their success at previous levels to the NHL level. Adjusting to the best hockey league in the world is challenging enough for kids who can't even order a post game beer at a Manhattan watering hole. I'd leave them be.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Drafting Byfield instead of Laf or moving Laf to center, which idea is worse?

Both options feel like being a handed a $100 bill and pursuing a low percentage chance to turn it into $110, while willfully assuming the higher percentage risk of turning it into $90 instead.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Both options feel like being a handed a $100 bill and pursuing a low percentage chance to turn it into $110, while willfully assuming the higher percentage risk of turning it into $90 instead.
Why have some people in hockey media even made it a discussion of moving the pick or taking someone else, Edge? I mean, if you just understand the obvious and here how JD (who even slipped up) and the rest have talked about the kid, it's as much of a lock you can get we're taking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad