News Article: Lafleur says Vanek, Patches should GTFO

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The object of a game is one thing. Building a winning team is an entirely different one.

True, but that also hasn't changed since the 70's or even before that. It's the same plan: you need players that score and players that prevent scoring. Guy played with the best of both talents so he should be able to spot it today just as well. That being said, he does tend to go overboard a lot. :laugh:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
lol good one...but you didn't answer the question? Why does Guy feel the need to do this?

Probably because he sees Vanek at an outrageous salary and whor1ng himself for more , floating around giving up on plays providing no help to his teammates , giving no effort . He probably watches the media scrums and Vaneks care free demeanour then sees his puffed up face and man boobs and wonders to himself how a fat lazy heartless ungrateful uncaring tool could be allowed to wear the same jersey Lafleur honoured so greatly .

Pacioretty is not Vanek but he isn't exactly Claude Lemieux either .

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'd trade Max for the right price. Absolutely. But no point trading him just to trade him. Would have to be for significant pieces. I don't like his game, though and would love to package him and DD in a deal for a top winger who is physical and a top 4 dman. Something like Kane and Bogosian..would add a pick.

Sure, lets trade a 39 goal scorer and a 16 goal scorer for a guy who scored 19 this season. Bogosian throws in 3 more goals.

Sounds like a solid plan. Eller should pot 50 goals next season once DD is out of the way.

Did you happen to think about offense before you thought this out?

I know you "dont like his game" but do you realize that only 3 other NHL forwards scored more goals than Max this past season? And you want Kane to step up and take over that role?

I am thankful you are a keyboard GM and not entrusted to making the Habs better.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yet he doesn't mention high priced, god awful talents like Briere or Lord David.. hmmm.. wonder why that is.. let me think about that

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
he was right about koivu...that guy never gave us anything for what he was asked, but that was a management error, he should have been a 2nd or 3rd liner

Koivu a third liner LOL. Yes he was a third liner, last 2-3 seasons with the Ducks. Tell me a 3rd liner in the league averaging 65-70 points playing with Higgins, Ryder, Zednik, Savage, Petrov, Latendresse, Bulis, washed-out Audette, etc. Yes he did play with good line-mates like Recchi, Corson, Kovalev and he was almost PPG in those games. Koivu was probably a bottom tier 1st liner or a very good 2nd Centre.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
True, but that also hasn't changed since the 70's or even before that. It's the same plan: you need players that score and players that prevent scoring. Guy played with the best of both talents so he should be able to spot it today just as well. That being said, he does tend to go overboard a lot. :laugh:

Well in that case, Gretzky should be an amazing coach too? Milbury and Houle should have been terrific GMs too.
Sorry but no, Guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Crapping on a guy that just scored 39 because he wasn't able to take the team on his back and produced as much in the POs is pretty stupid. Did I mention Max is only 25 and in his 2nd POs, the first time he was healthy?

Look back at the goals Lafleur used to score. They impress you? Guy takes a routine slap shot from almost outside the zone and it went in.
Guy comes from an era where players smoked between periods, they barely even trained, exercise science was so underdeveloped back then. How do you relate that to the grueling and difficult pace the players set in today's NHL?
It's so different man.
Not to mention, the rules are different too. So no, it's not quite the same game.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd trade Max for the right price. Absolutely. But no point trading him just to trade him. Would have to be for significant pieces. I don't like his game, though and would love to package him and DD in a deal for a top winger who is physical and a top 4 dman. Something like Kane and Bogosian..would add a pick.

I don't think you're going to be very pleased with Kane if you don't like MaxPac. He is terribly inconsistent.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
hes right somehow on his perception of them but I think we need to keep them

he was right about koivu...that guy never gave us anything for what he was asked, but that was a management error, he should have been a 2nd or 3rd liner

vanek was used like **** in the playoff, i dont really blame him.. its a gamble but we need a player like him

pacioretty is too weak on 1v1 as 1st line winger, he can dangle around but he cant dangle through..we need player that gets through the ****

if we can keep both guys to play a full season alltogether with desharnais..**** could get real

Koivu a third liner LOL. Yes he was a third liner, last 2-3 seasons with the Ducks. Tell me a 3rd liner in the league averaging 65-70 points playing with Higgins, Ryder, Zednik, Savage, Petrov, Latendresse, Bulis, washed-out Audette, etc. Yes he did play with good line-mates like Recchi, Corson, Kovalev and he was almost PPG in those games. Koivu was probably a bottom tier 1st liner or a very good 2nd Centre.

yep just ignore that I also said 2nd liner while you re at it..:sarcasm:
first liner for a winning team are averaging 70 OR MORE, nothing less
koivu was never meant to be a first liner

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's my biggest issue with all these overreactions. Playoffs are tough. I think it's pretty obvious a lot of people here don't realize not every player can just step it up in every PO series. Even the best player in the NHL gets shutdown at times during POs.
Crosby had 1 goal. Hossa 2 goals. Sharp only 10pts. Are all these guys losers that should be traded? Guys you don't win with?
Actually, I'm good with this now. Weisse and Gallagher on the first line and Bourque and Gionta on the 2nd. We get Paul Stastny and it's all good.

Let's just rebuild - again - and go hope that we can draft a couple of players who are better than Max AND Vanek. With any luck Galchenyuk will be in his mid 30s by the time we draft one and then... well look out!

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Typical Flower:

Rough translation: "Guys like Max and TV, you can't keep them on your team if they're not willing to pay the price. Your team will never win with guys who disappear when they face adversity."

Discuss.

Vanek + Pacioretty + Plekanec + Tinordi + 1st round pick 2014 and 2015 for Malkin

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Being a great player does not mean that you are actually a great speaker and can never be wrong. Lafleur will always be known as one of the greatest player that have ever lived. Yet, I really don't care about what he has to say. Yes, both guys should have given more. But to just send them away because of it? Of course, if Patches continuously look bad in the playoffs after dominating the regular seasons, then yes, something needs to be done. But obviously way too soon right now.

Unless....Lafleur is a genius. You send away everybody who was dissapointing and you SURELY get one of McDavid, Hanifin or Eichel. And even Sean Day for 2016. Pure brillance. :sarcasm:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Vanek + Pacioretty + Plekanec + Tinordi + 1st round pick 2014 and 2015 for Malkin

No. You keep them and wait for the right moment to dump them for lottery picks or the equivalent, kind of like how Guy Lafleur himself was obtained. ;)

Getting rid of something does not require getting rid of them hastily and at bargain basement prices for the opponent.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Pacioretty and Vanek didn't do that bad. It's not like anybody else aside from Subban was lighting it up.

Pacioretty was tied for second, with hero Rene Bourque, for points by a forward. Vanek was one point behind them.

While Bourque played a full 5 minutes less per game and got nowhere near as much (if any) PP time.

But at this point, bringing up stats like these only make you someone trying to find excuses for Pacioretty. I'm sure you watched the games like I did, and Pacioretty was a bit sluggish whereas Bourque was sharp and ready to perform. Part of it is because Patch played against tougher opponents... because he played more in the regular season and accumulated little injuries and fatigue... but only looking at performance, Bourque was way ahead of Patch. Not even close.

As for the current subject, Lafleur has always been a dumb & bitter attention ***** who's completely out of touch with reality. Nothing new here. Of course he has the right to his opinion, but when his opinion is controversial and negative (and it always is), he could keep it to himself a little bit more and show some wisdom. All he's doing is making Bergevin's job harder. He's an idiot. Always has been.. an idiot who was blessed with incredible talent.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Guy Lafleur was one of the greatest players in NHL history, he's a Habs legend, and if anything I admire that he's willing to say whatever he feels like.

There's also a reason the organization has wanted very little to do with him, Beliveau he is not. It's great that he makes his opinions known, but they don't have much credibility. Being very talented doesn't mean you know what makes other players successful, what's funny is guys like Vanek if anything follow Lafleur's example more than intangible-packed "winners."

I might love to watch Guy Lafleur highlights and own a faux-retro shirt with his name on it, but I'd listen to people on this forum before I'd listen to him.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
Flower should have his tongue removed. Such a Pejorative Slur. Beeing good at sport don't rime with high IQ and everytime he speaks he is putting shadow on his prior highlights and the Habs in general.

Wanting Maxpac out with a 4,5 cap hit is beyond insane.

Apr 28, 2010
I think the Habs just need to treat Patches like a second line left winger. I think we'll see a different, effective player.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
He's kinda right.

Pacioretty didn't play very well and in the Boston series he would get great opportunities to throw a solid hit and he wouldn't.

If you're not a physical player, that's fine, but if someone smokes you, you better get back up and look to smoke someone in a legal fashion. Allowing yourself to get run over time and time and time again while not doing anything about it isn't "character", or "resiliency" it's called be a giant ass *****.

Pacioretty was extremely bad against Ottawa, but had an injury. This year he was just bad.

This was Pacioretty's second playoffs. He played a grand total of 21 games and during those games, he has 11 points.

Lafleur, in his three first playoffs, he played a total of 29 games and has 13 points.

Guess we never won with Lafleur.

EDIT: Someone posted the same thing before. It's funny Lafleur opens his mouth like that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well I don't think the Habs can win with Patches as a primary scorer. All he does is wait for breakaways. He won't pay the price, his one-timer is not very good. He's a one trick pony. That being said, he has excellent value at $4.5 million a year. He's a steal. I just don't think he should be the go-to guy offensively.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Pacioretty scored 4 goals (all ES) and 4 assists in the last 9 games of the playoffs.

I don't care what he says. Give him a real center with a real PP structure and he will be even better.

I guess we should keep playoff monster Bourque for his 5 good games a year in May and trade talent for MOAR character.

So he showed up for half the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad