News Article: Lafleur says Vanek, Patches should GTFO

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
I would like to keep Pacioretty. He had a great season, and had his first healthy playoffs.

I think I can handle losing Vanek.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I can make money selling sports drinks?!

Daaaaaaag, and all this time I've been sittin' here with you suckas on a message board.

In the end Lafleur was a great player if and only if you don't call Price and Subban great players.If you call Price and Subban great players , then you have to step up the term you use to describe Lafleur , for exemple legendary player.All those people sitting on Price's and Subban's dick (don't get me wrong , I think both are very good players that stepped up in the playoff and I respect them) would have been hysterical about Lafleur.

And you know , I prefer a Lafleur that speaks his mind once a year than a Bob Gainey who comes into the club as a GM and destroys the team as well as imposing his philosophy of secrecy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In the end Lafleur was a great player if and only if you don't call Price and Subban great players.If you call Price and Subban great players , then you have to step up the term you use to describe Lafleur , for exemple legendary player.All those people sitting on Price's and Subban's dick (don't get me wrong , I think both are very good players that stepped up in the playoff and I respect them) would have been hysterical about Lafleur.
Lafleur is borderline top ten of all time and definitely top 20. Great, great, great player... Not the longest career but great peak and a ridiculous stretch of six seasons. He can say whatever he wants.

But we still have the right to disagree with him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I respect Lafleur as the player he once was, but every time he opens his mouth in the media leaves me scratching my head.

We were two wins away from a Stanley cup final without our N.1 goalie when a lot of "experts" pegged us outside of the playoffs. Lafleur can suck on that.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lafleur is borderline top ten of all time and definitely top 20. Great, great, great player... Not the longest career but great peak and a ridiculous stretch of six seasons. He can say whatever he wants.

Lafleur has one of the top 5 prime of all-time , his position on the all-time list is getting hurt by his short career , but he is easily top 20.When he was at his best in that 6 years span , there's not 10 players in history who could compete with him.

Like I said , disagree all you want , but why make it personal and ridicule him?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Max is NOT the issue with the team. He's one of the best complementary players in the league - like Hossa, Sharp, Krejci, Carter, etc. who can be one of the top contributors in terms of production, but don't necessarily drive a team to a cup (inb4Krejcicomments). Sure some games they look dominant, but the next game they may or may not be. These aren't guys who can be relied on to be your top forward, but are awesome in a role where they're your #2 or #3 best forward. Ideally we'll have Galchenyuk develop into that driving force of a #1 centre, then Patches will be the ultimate complement, especially at his current cap hit. Vanek wasn't great, but people are being too hard on him. He's like Max, but with a little less drive, in certain respects. I'd love to have Vanek back at anything under $7m per. At the absolute worst, he draws top defensive matchups, which enables our exploitation lines to dominate.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

He was a great player and all, no doubt about it, but what has this statement to do with his hockey play?

Vanek? It's okay with me. He won't sign in MTL anyway.

But Max? Really? Those guys grow on trees, right?

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
The same Lafleur who complained about Koivu all these years?

Let me laugh a bit. This guy has been a massive tool ever since he took his jersey off.

It's funny how good offensive players on low skill teams generally don't have high production playoffs until they get on contenders. Can't be because they get focused so hard by the other team, right?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lafleur has one of the top 5 prime of all-time , his position on the all-time list is getting hurt by his short career , but he is easily top 20.When he was at his best in that 6 years span , there's not 10 players in history who could compete with him.
If you include goalies and blueliners, some could make that case.
Like I said , disagree all you want , but why make it personal and ridicule him?
He kind of brings it on himself though. He was no angel off the ice. I still remember waking up to the paper when he'd crashed off the highway and there was a picture of his broken windsheild and a cop with a "missed it by that much" expression on his face.

Yeah, he was amazing, my favourite of all time. But not everyone is Guy Lafleur and this is the same guy who smoked about 100 packs a day... kind of opens himself up to this kind of criticism when he says stuff like this.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
He is right about Vanek, as for Patches it's probably his answer to what was posted in the Gazette. In a way he is right, cause I don't feel bad for these hockey players that complain about pressure

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Oh sure , but everytime he makes one of those comments a pack of "habs fans" on this board makes it personal with Lafleur instead of just criticizing his comments at face value.

I prefer a guy like Lafleur than Beliveau personally , at least he's saying what he thinks.Who the hell ever knew what Beliveau REALLY thought about this or that? Nobody or his close circle.

Who cares what they are thinking

Sentinels

Apr 1, 2009
Vanek I agree with but Patches? Hellz no. He is doing quite fine for someone that is not playing with a legit first line centre.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I am shocked by the amount of hate Guy is getting around here. Where the hell is this coming from?!?!

As for what he said, he is absolutely right. Patches did score goals in these playoffs, but it was infuriating to see him float around while DD and Gallagher were fighting along the boards to win the pucks. I don't think I have seen him win ONE battle along the boards. He NEVER used his size, ever. Yes, he can score, but if he doesn't step up his game in the next playoffs, he will confirm his regular season player label.

As for Vanek... LOL, don't let the the door hit you on your way out. What a floater.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Vanek has to go, patches I loved before the playoffs, he said some stupid **** after the playoffs where over, but I just chauled it up to him being young and maybe he learned a lot about what is expected of you during a long playoff run. I'd keep patches but i'm 100% behind getting rid of vanek

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Patches led the team in shots per game. He was willing and able to pay the price, the shots just weren't going in for him.

While I agree that pacioretty should stay, he was NOT paying the price. He was a playing with the tip of his stick and got a few lucky breaks.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Hate him if you want but he's absolutely right. Players that don't show up when it matters should GTFO. And he has his 5 Cup Rings to prove it. Always play for the Cup, not to make the playoffs or have a good season.

PricePkPatch*

I am shocked by the amount of hate Guy is getting around here. Where the hell is this coming from?!?!

Some posters obviously believe he was only on the Habs because he was french. He would never have had an NHL job otherwise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad