NFL: LA Relocation thread. The Los Angeles Rams/Chargers of Inglewood

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing with the Raiders is that in L.A. there was always the notion that 'nice people' root for the Rams and 'trashy people' root for the Raiders. But a lot of that is just geography. The Raiders went from Oakland, a pretty rough city itself, to South Central L.A. at a time when gang culture really took off there and was soon flushed into public awareness via rap music. That doesn't mean all Raiders fans came from there but their fan base had a significant proportion of inner-city people with all the implications that came with that.

Meanwhile the Rams moved to Orange County at the end of the 70s. At the time that was a lot more suburban and respectable an environment than it is now and drawing your fans in to a significant part from the suburban Southern fringe of the region helped create a lot more of a genteel fan base.

Of course, this is where it will fall down a bit. It's not like Raiders fans were some marauding group of hooligans coming in from out of state, the area is just full of grittier lower-class people. The 'new' Rams will first be in South Central and then they'll be in Inglewood. And they might well be the only NFL team in L.A. Who do you think will those gritty urban people of the Greater Los Angeles area root for now? NFL fan bases always tend to be grittier than NHL fan bases because the NFL enjoys far more support on the lower ends of the socio-economic spectrum than hockey. So with the new Rams, it's gonna be more Dodgers and less Kings and Rams fans could easily acquire a reputation of their own. Blue Rams vs Red 49ers, yeah I could see that being a bit of a tough game to attend with the wife and children.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Stan Kroenke is asking for public tax money for a project in St. Louis.

You have got to be ****ing kidding me. I realize LA people hated (and still do hate) Georgia but at least when she stuck the knife in, she left and didn't come back (or did she? Correct me if I'm wrong on that)

This guy is an absolute horrific joke of a human being.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Stan Kroenke is asking for public tax money for a project in St. Louis.

You have got to be ****ing kidding me. I realize LA people hated (and still do hate) Georgia but at least when she stuck the knife in, she left and didn't come back (or did she? Correct me if I'm wrong on that)

This guy is an absolute horrific joke of a human being.

That is a bit too much. I understand the hurt feelings, but your blinders are on the extreme. :shakehead

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
The Kings changed their colors from black and silver because of the association with the Raiders color scheme.

Not true.

former Kings owner Bruce McNall explained that after taking control of the team, he wanted to give the team a distinct identity from Los Angeles’s other purple and gold team, the Lakers.

After asking such Kings players as Luc Robitaille, Jimmy Carson, and Bernie Nicholls for their input, McNall received feedback that choosing black would make them feel bigger and tougher. Robitaille had the greatest impact, telling McNall he enjoyed wearing the black and silver of his junior hockey team, the Hull Olympiques.
note - Gretzky had just bought the Hull Olympiques as well

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/11/23/fade-to-black/

Captain Mittens*

Not true.

note - Gretzky had just bought the Hull Olympiques as well

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/11/23/fade-to-black/

You aren'the even talking about the jersey change that is being discussed. Did you just read one post and reply?

What was being discussed was why the Kings changed from silver and black to purple in 1998
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jun/21/news/ls-62011

Also influencing this change was the fact that in recent years, black and silver had become associated with gangs, and some schools have banned students from wearing those colors.

I will never cease to be amazed the number of people who don't read a thread to understand context or who argue something they know nothing about on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Mittens*

She did come back to Socal for more money but the did take the knife out and stick it back in when
Georgia said leaving Los Angeles was the best thing she ever did after winning the superbowl.

Captain Mittens*

This is true, have you ever seen a Raiders/Chargers game in San Deigo? It feels like I'm at the Oakland Colesium

That's because Chargers fans sell their tickets for Raiders games. They are tired of Raider's fans Raidering.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Yes.

It's the fact that he left here to go privately fund his project in LA entirely on his own, but now wants to come back to a place he just ****ed over and wants public money for it.

That's ridiculous.

St Louis is a major city still worth investing real estate dollars in. The guy is interested in making money afterall.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Chargers will be LA bound it appears ,, Spanos can keep team there until 2020 when lease expires but you gotta imagine its becoming clearer and clearer that SD is never going to build Chargers a stadium

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Chargers will be LA bound it appears ,, Spanos can keep team there until 2020 when lease expires but you gotta imagine its becoming clearer and clearer that SD is never going to build Chargers a stadium

& then the fans will cry out when they leave for LA.

Would be crazy if we had them move this year along with the Raiders to LV.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Did SD help with paying for PETCO Park?

Or did the Padres owner foot the entire cost?

All told, land acquisition and construction for Petco Park cost $456.8 million: $225 million financed with municipal bonds repaid by hotel taxes; $57.8 million from redevelopment funds generated within the project area; $21 million from the Port of San Diego and $153 million from the Padres.

So mostly by the city. Their portion was voted 60% yes by the citizens of SD.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Bumping this one.

Measure C for public funding towards a new stadium for the Chargers via an increase in the hotel tax fails last night. Only gets 43% Yes votes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/san-diego-chargers-stadium-funding_us_581b7341e4b07cfea321b3e7

Spanos has until January 15 to decide if they're joining the Rams in LA.

not a lot of trust going on there between the fans of the Chargers and Spanos. Cant say as I blame them. They know he has the cash and they know he brings in money from the league every week. Why should fans from other cities who stay in those hotels pay extra hotel tax.
I would of told the Spanos family to **** off as well. Call his bluff and see what he does.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
not a lot of trust going on there between the fans of the Chargers and Spanos. Cant say as I blame them. They know he has the cash and they know he brings in money from the league every week. Why should fans from other cities who stay in those hotels pay extra hotel tax.
I would of told the Spanos family to **** off as well. Call his bluff and see what he does.

.... move to LA? Where there is going to be a brand new stadium done in 2019?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
& then the fans will cry out when they leave for LA.

Would be crazy if we had them move this year along with the Raiders to LV.
You know, when you're from an area it hurts to watch the team you like move. Obviously San Diego to La isn't as drastic as St. Louis to La, but saying fans 'cry' over it is a bit insensitive.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You know, when you're from an area it hurts to watch the team you like move. Obviously San Diego to La isn't as drastic as St. Louis to La, but saying fans 'cry' over it is a bit insensitive.

Well they voted 60% to fund the Padres new park, obviously an NFL stadium costs a lot more but if they don't wanna help pay then sucks for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad