NFL: LA Relocation thread. The Los Angeles Rams/Chargers of Inglewood

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Nah, he'll get an extension. Fisher pulled this sort of stuff in STL for years too. Took down all things GSOT, etc.

Being in LA isn't going to change the way the franchise is run. Pretty hilarious that the Rams draw lower ratings now than they ever did in St Louis though.

Seriously? That's wild I hadn't read/heard that before. Do you have a source/website for that?

Oct 18, 2011
This is so ill-conceived, LA is not a Chargers territory, it really depends on how much of the SD fanbase remains loyal. The Chargers are probably at best, the 4th most popular NFL team in the area.....i am so sick of these teams essentially issuing ultamatums to cities for stadiums when they are rolling in money.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ratings don't mean a ton in this market because of how huge it is and how disparate the demographics are...the raw number of eyes on the team has undoubtedly gone up by a good deal. The Lakers & Clippers didn't even combine to get a 3 here last season (the Lakers averaged a 3.54 in 2010, a year they won their second of back-to-back championships...that looks paltry until you realize that that represented 200,000 households...or ~70,000 more households than any other NBA team).

The team being dreadfully boring to watch and being run by idiots certainly isn't helping draw in new fans, either, but you can't really compare ratings between cities that disparate in size. The Pirates get triple the ratings the Yankees do until you take market size into account...

The team has been bad this year which also isn't going to help ratings. Plus they need to bring back some of the fanbase after 20 years of playing elsewhere.

This is so ill-conceived, LA is not a Chargers territory, it really depends on how much of the SD fanbase remains loyal. The Chargers are probably at best, the 4th most popular NFL team in the area.....i am so sick of these teams essentially issuing ultamatums to cities for stadiums when they are rolling in money.

But in the Chargers case the taxpayers were OK with contributing more than 50% of the money needed for Petco Park. Why should they now ave to pay for a stadium themselves when their counterparts didn't?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
That's apples and oranges. At least with a baseball stadium you can attempt to justify it as putting people to work for 81 days.

And having one secures their status as a "major league city", so there's less to "gain" at this point than if the Padres had left.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's apples and oranges. At least with a baseball stadium you can attempt to justify it as putting people to work for 81 days.

And having one secures their status as a "major league city", so there's less to "gain" at this point than if the Padres had left.

NFL stadiums can also be filled with many events including the Super Bowl, College Bowl Games, College Games, Wrestlemania, Concerts, soccer, Motor Sports etc.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
NFL stadiums can also be filled with many events including the Super Bowl, College Bowl Games, College Games, Wrestlemania, Concerts, soccer, Motor Sports etc.

All one-off events that come to town once every ten years or every generation. Few concert acts play stadiums as well and sometimes a baseball stadium will suffice for that. Much more bang for your buck with a baseball stadium than an NFL stadium and at about half to two-thirds the cost.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
All one-off events that come to town once every ten years or every generation. Few concert acts play stadiums as well and sometimes a baseball stadium will suffice for that. Much more bang for your buck with a baseball stadium than an NFL stadium and at about half to two-thirds the cost.

Then the fans have 0 right to complain when the Chargers leave.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I can't stand dean spanos.

The Raiders should be going to LA and the Chargers should be told to choose between San Antonio and Las Vegas.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Then the fans have 0 right to complain when the Chargers leave.

Sure because taxpayers should totally accept being ripped off.

Using the economic argument always ends in the taxpayers being ripped off and paying for way more than what they receive.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Would this be Cleveland to Baltimore type of re-brand and 'new start'?

Keep the Chargers history, colours in San Diego? Keep the door open in case a stadium plan does come up. With LA about 2 have 2 teams and likely one going to Vegas, the league will 'need' a New LA or at least the perception of one to keep the pressure on cities going.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I really like the Chargers branding and would be pretty bummed out if they change it...that said I get why a team whose primary colors are blue & gold would balk at retaining that color scheme when moving into a market and eventually a stadium with another team with a similar color scheme.

Keep the Chargers history, colours in San Diego? Keep the door open in case a stadium plan does come up. With LA about 2 have 2 teams and likely one going to Vegas, the league will 'need' a New LA or at least the perception of one to keep the pressure on cities going.

No...the history of the team would come along with the team. As far as the NFL history books are concerned the Ravens were an expansion team, whatever the Chargers are called next year would retain their lineage. Ignore that the Tennessee Oilers were a thing for a couple years and I'd imagine it'd be more akin to the Houston Oilers becoming the Tennessee Titans, except with a bigger color scheme change.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

What history :laugh:

But I doubt they do that. Wouldn't make sense.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the chargers to LA would be a massive failure

and i'd hate to see them rebranded, love that logo and colors

what the league should have done in the mid 90s was expand to st. louis instead of jacksonville and kept the rams in LA

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

what the league should have done in the mid 90s was expand to st. louis instead of jacksonville and kept the rams in LA

Georgia would have just moved Rams to Jacksonville or SA for big $$$ instead of St Louis

Also keeping Rams in LA and giving St Louis team would change nothing in regard to Chargers outside of destination

We would be seeing Chargers moving to SA , LV or Jacksonville (Or whatever city of similar size would be looking for NFL team)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

There was no where adequate to play in LA. Rams weren't going to remain at Anaheim Stadium and the Raiders at the Coliseum. Both STL and JAX had new stadiums to move to.

That's why teams move.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
How about the Los Angeles Golden Knights?

Should be the 'Angeles' Golden Knights ;)

Or they can call themselves the LA Xtreme. Buy the 1 year XFL history from Vince McMahon. As they were the champs in that league's lone season.

Spanos would have a championship banner to hang before the first kick-off :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad