NFL: LA Relocation thread. The Los Angeles Rams/Chargers of Inglewood

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There was no where adequate to play in LA. Rams weren't going to remain at Anaheim Stadium and the Raiders at the Coliseum. Both STL and JAX had new stadiums to move to.

That's why teams move.

She chose STL because it was her childhood home and she wanted a team there after the Cardinals left.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
CBS in LA dropped Chargers vs. Browns this week in favor of showing Colts/Raiders. The Raiders are the most popular team here as everyone knows. This is noteworthy because Colts/Raiders is going up against the Rams game. I do not ever recall one network deciding to switch time slots to go up against the home market team.

So why are these going to be our teams again? The NFL needs to get their **** straight.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
CBS in LA dropped Chargers vs. Browns this week in favor of showing Colts/Raiders. The Raiders are the most popular team here as everyone knows. This is noteworthy because Colts/Raiders is going up against the Rams game. I do not ever recall one network deciding to switch time slots to go up against the home market team.

So why are these going to be our teams again? The NFL needs to get their **** straight.

Raiders/Colts vs Rams/Niners, can't wait to see the ratings difference in that one. Who would even want bother watching the Rams/Niners? Although, the Rams might actually win that game, so it might be worth watching.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Where did you see this? As the Rams are at home, that would violate league rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_on_television said:
No games are allowed to compete with a sold-out home game, as it encourages ticket-holders to attend the game instead of watching another game on television, but secondary markets are not subject to this rule, as it is less expected for fans from a market potentially 100 miles away to attend every game.

506 still has the Chargers game listed, as does the CBS LA program guide.

http://506sports.com/
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/program-guide-2/

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
There was no where adequate to play in LA. Rams weren't going to remain at Anaheim Stadium and the Raiders at the Coliseum. Both STL and JAX had new stadiums to move to.

That's why teams move.

i don't think she would have moved the team to jacksonville or any other city. she was set on STL because that was her hometown

if the league had decided to expand to STL i think georgia would have been willing to take part in negotiations to keep the rams in socal. who knows what might have happened

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My conspiracy theory of the expansion was that Jacksonville won the vote because enough owners were eyeing Saint Louis if they had to move.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Sure because taxpayers should totally accept being ripped off.

Using the economic argument always ends in the taxpayers being ripped off and paying for way more than what they receive.

Sadly, they will have to provide for a new stadium as the Murph is showing its age and has to be replaced (along with being too big for most demands outside of the Chargers).

The public is still "screwed" either way.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Sadly, they will have to provide for a new stadium as the Murph is showing its age and has to be replaced (along with being too big for most demands outside of the Chargers).

The public is still "screwed" either way.

Wasn't this latest election asking for an additional 3 - 4% tax for hotel rooms? (to fund a new stadium)

How would that be screwing the public? It's after the tourists' money. I am quite surprised the city helped pay for Petco, but won't help out the Chargers.

And while the Murph is showing its age, it's easily 20x better (or more!) than either the Coliseum or Rose bowl. Even after the Rams new stadium is occupied, L.A. still won't have it right having these 2 worthless stadiums.... - forever!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
My conspiracy theory of the expansion was that Jacksonville won the vote because enough owners were eyeing Saint Louis if they had to move.

This is probably what happened. After the fiasco with the Bidwills taking the Phoenix area (that city was supposed to get an expansion), Jacksonville got a team so St Louis could be a landing spot for a moved team. I bet they thought Jacksonville would be gone 10 years ago as well.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Wasn't this latest election asking for an additional 3 - 4% tax for hotel rooms? (to fund a new stadium)

How would that be screwing the public? It's after the tourists' money. I am quite surprised the city helped pay for Petco, but won't help out the Chargers.[ax i/QUOTE]

A tax is a tax is a tax. Calf voters don't really like the 12% tax as it is and such an increase is easily a shot at them. Lost tourists, conventions, meetings etc eat into any potential revenue.

Padres opposed it as they feared revenue losses from increased competition.

And while the Murph is showing its age, it's easily 20x better (or more!) than either the Coliseum or Rose bowl. Even after the Rams new stadium is occupied, L.A. still won't have it right having these 2 worthless stadiums.... - forever!

Pasadena runs the Rose Bowl, not LA.

As for the Coliseum, it has landmark status that makes it more difficult to bring up to an NFL standard. At least the new plans are concrete.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Chargers season ended yesterday and they now have until January 15 to decide if they're going to LA.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-charupdate-0103-story.html

According to the above article, the city, county and SD State have made an apparent final offer of 375 mil in public $$$. Still about 125 mil short and now the Chargers are appealing to the NFL for help.

Is this a legit offer or another PR stunt as it looks a like a 'we're giving it our all but it's in the NFL's hands now' spin.

If accepted, this will keep the Chargers in SD for at least another 2 years as a public vote on the offer can come in November 2018 at the earliest.

What will happen now?

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they're going to end up moving. what happens once they land in LA? i'm very interested to find out how that ends up

pretty sad scene in SD yesterday. probably their last home game and the entire stadium was made up of chiefs fans

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Chargers season ended yesterday and they now have until January 15 to decide if they're going to LA.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-charupdate-0103-story.html

According to the above article, the city, county and SD State have made an apparent final offer of 375 mil in public $$$. Still about 175 mil short and now the Chargers are appealing to the NFL for help.

Is this a legit offer or another PR stunt as it looks a like a 'we're giving it our all but it's in the NFL's hands now' spin.

If accepted, this will keep the Chargers in SD for at least another 2 years as a public vote on the offer can come in November 2018 at the earliest.

What will happen now?

I don't think they are going to want to wait that long to find out if the plan is going thru. Kroenke's masterpiece will nearly be done by then anyway so they may as well start playing LA next seasons and build up a new fan base. It would make the transition easier rather than stay in SD for two years, worst case the vote fails and now you have to again apply for relocation.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

How would that be screwing the public? It's after the tourists' money. I am quite surprised the city helped pay for Petco, but won't help out the Chargers.

Unfortunately, I think the Petco experience hindered the public's desire to help out the Chargers: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2015/feb/12/ticker-taxpayers-271-million-petco-hook/#

As mayor Kevin Faulconer's task force works on a stadium financing plan to keep the Chargers from leaving town, the San Diego City Council is fighting a court battle to hang on to $271 million in reimbursements for city obligations used to pay for downtown's Petco Park.

If they fail, as some legal observers expect they might, taxpayers here could be forced to make up the considerable ballpark debt, even as the city faces the prospect of coming up with yet more millions for a new professional football stadium.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
A meeting between the league's finance and stadium committees is scheduled for January 11. Unlikely Spanos will decide before then

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/

Breakdown of the 375.00 million offer

San Diego officials recently extended an offer for money they are willing to put to a public vote. Including $100 million San Diego State has committed to fund raise toward a stadium, the total contribution from the city, county and SDSU would be $375 million. (The city is offering $200 million, same as it was in 2015, while the county is proposing a $75 million contribution, half its 2015 pledge.)

With $300 million from the NFL and the Chargers’ previous pledge of $350 million, there remains a gap of $100 million to $175 million between what appears available and what the Chargers say a stadium will cost.

No mention of how the funds would be raised if they're going to avoid the hotel tax increase route.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Stadium and Finance committees underway in NY.

Due to the playoffs and holiday Monday. A much shorter extension than I thought they would get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad