OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He had such a great personality. Awful.

Nick adenhart died in April 2009, almost exactly 10 years ago.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Horrible news. I've heard nothing but good things about him as a person. I know they canceled the game tonight, but I can't imagine his teammates just having to go on and continuing their season after something like this.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
My condolences to Skaggs' family and friends, along with the Angels organization and fanbase.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So sad :( . Tyler Skaggs was drafted in 2009 just 2 months after Nick Adenhart died :( and now 10 years after that draft he has died :(

They had also lost a player in December 2018 when Luis Valbuena died in a car accident.
So thats 2 players gone from the 2018 team :(

Why do these things happen to the players of this team :(
Donnie Moore
Nick Adenhart
Tommy Hanson
Luis Valbuena
Tyler Skaggs.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
So sad :( . Tyler Skaggs was drafted in 2009 just 2 months after Nick Adenhart died :( and now 10 years after that draft he has died :(

They had also lost a player in December 2018 when Luis Valbuena died in a car accident.
So thats 2 players gone from the 2018 team :(

Why do these things happen to the players of this team :(
Donnie Moore
Nick Adenhart
Tommy Hanson
Luis Valbuena
Tyler Skaggs.
Also last year, Trout’s brother in law who was also an Angels prospect.

This organization has had enough of this shit. Awful, awful news. Skaggs was a good pitcher and seemed like he had a super personality that everyone was drawn to. You could see it in any interview or video feature he was ever in.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Also last year, Trout’s brother in law who was also an Angels prospect.

This organization has had enough of this ****. Awful, awful news. Skaggs was a good pitcher and seemed like he had a super personality that everyone was drawn to. You could see it in any interview or video feature he was ever in.
I don't want to speculate given how much has happened to this team over the past 10 years, i do know as personalities go that the late Robin Williams was thought of in the same way that everyone was drawn to and one of the greatest personalities in history of his profession.
Its heartbreaking, he was drafted as one of the guys to become a prospect to fill the holes in the teams depth charts after Adenhart died and now he's gone.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
RIP. Life can be difficult, so I pass no judgement even if it was drugs that got him. Just feel for his family

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I'm a fan of the team to the north also named Los Angeles, but hearing news like this is gut wrenching and just when it seemed like he was turning a corner professionally. Reminds me of the situation with Darryl Kile 17 years ago.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
The injury to La Stella last night looked painful. Bad break coming right before his first all star game

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Pujols could end up finishing with a .800 OPS this season at age 39. Crazy how much better he's been than the previous 2 years despite being nearly 40.
I would have though he'd decline to a .600 OPS.
Going into the season it was thought he'd lose his ABs to Bour & Ohtani, that appears to motivate him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pujols isn't batting cleanup any more, IIRC. He's like 6th or 7th in the batting order. It's a nice perk. I've been watching from a far since Skaggs passed away. I still remember Adenhart's passing.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Kole Calhoun .810 OPS 2.2 WAR. From 2018 having the worst season of his career to having the best season of his career in 2019 but its also happening in a season he has just a option year left & the Angels have to decide if they will trade him or keep him & pick up the 14mil option for 2020 or keep him, decline & he becomes a FA in 2020.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Kole Calhoun .810 OPS 2.2 WAR. From 2018 having the worst season of his career to having the best season of his career in 2019 but its also happening in a season he has just a option year left & the Angels have to decide if they will trade him or keep him & pick up the 14mil option for 2020 or keep him, decline & he becomes a FA in 2020.
If they think Adell is ready, they won't pick up his option.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If they think Adell is ready, they won't pick up his option.
They got to trade him then.
I don't believe he's really having a breakout year and that he's playing this well because he wants get a new contract extension or at worse is decline of his option and signs a 5 year deal with another team followed by going back to a .650 to .700 OPS. Its like Fowler during that contract year when he got re-signed and then went back to firing muffins at other teams D-mens shin pads.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
They got to trade him then.
I don't believe he's really having a breakout year and that he's playing this well because he wants get a new contract extension or at worse is decline of his option and signs a 5 year deal with another team followed by going back to a .650 to .700 OPS. Its like Fowler during that contract year when he got re-signed and then went back to firing muffins at other teams D-mens shin pads.
If I were an Angel fan, I might prefer Calhoun to Upton. But Upton's contract is probably untradeable. Adell looks like a flat stud, can't see them blocking him for long.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'm not so sure Calhoun's turn around is as simple as "he wants a new contract". Think it may have been Ward on twitter who talked a bit about Calhoun earlier this season and how Calhoun has completely changed his stance and swing compared to his previous years, which has obviously been a pretty huge factor in his turn around.

If the Angels are serious about challenging next season then it's a no brainer to pick up Calhoun's option IMO. As good a young player as Adell is, given his durability concerns I'm not too sure I would trust him as a starter in 2020 just yet, and while Goodwin has been a decent 4th outfielder I wouldn't trust him to be an everyday player either.

Of course this could all change if Adell is called up this season and lights it up, but at this point I'd want Calhoun in RF in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad