OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Why is Goodwin batting 9th instead of 1 spot behind Trout or in front of Trout ?
Manager Ausmus is.....never thought someone could be even dumber with a lineup than Scioscia.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
One thing I absolutely can't stand is the OBSESSION with matching up left handed hitters against right handed pitchers, and vice versa. I understand there are many players who benefit from the opposite handed matchup, but you can't just put that blanket over every player. Goodwin (in very limited at bats) is hitting .275 against lefties in his career, versus a .245 clip against righties. Every player is different, and you obviously have to take into account who is hot or not, too.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
One of the teams I play on is moving to Irvine and apparently we are going to be playing against John ahlers.... I think the division is too low....

Oct 18, 2011
Still not a very good team. At this point the Angels are apparently trying to emulate the Oilers. A few good stars surrounded by poor players.
They haven't had their full team yet, Upton and Heaney will be significant additions. We just got Ohtani back today and Griffin Canning looks like he belongs. Still early

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Cahill & Harvey are somehow doing a worse than the job Jeff Weaver & Bartolo Colon did in 2006 for the Angels & that was in the sterioid era back then where only 1 pitcher in the AL finished with an ERA below 3.00, Jeff got traded to STL that year & wound up winning a WS ring.....he turned into Cy Young once he landed in St. Louis.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bourjos & Stratton have been DFAed. Bourjos was .091/.109/.114/.222, Stratton had a 8.59 ERA. Mario Mendoza of the Mendoza Line says he's off the hook thanks to Peter Bourjos.
When Bourjos was killing it in Spring Training it seemed fake, pitchers often work on new pitches in spring & leave pitches up in the zone during spring.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Buttrey: 11.0 K/9 rate & 1.5 BB/9 rate, 1.36 FIP & 1.00 ERA.
Kid is lights out & rarely walks anyone. He will become the closer eventually even if its next year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So those Mariners that Dipoto is running are 5-19 vs Teams above .500 while the Angels are 6-8 vs teams above .500, that explains why the Mariners have fallen down to earth.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Interestingly enough, the Angels strikeout way less often than any other team in the league (more than 50 fewer than the next closest team). However, the higher contact rate has also led them to grounding into the most double plays. Simmons has somehow already grounded into 14 himself.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Interestingly enough, the Angels strikeout way less often than any other team in the league (more than 50 fewer than the next closest team). However, the higher contact rate has also led them to grounding into the most double plays. Simmons has somehow already grounded into 14 himself.
Whats also interesting is they could have a ton of guys batting .300 this year, currently Goodwin, Fletcher & Simmons are hitting .300+, Trout will probably finish above .300 as, possibly Ohtani too and then there is La Stella who is hitting .299. Having guys who draw alot of walks like Trout & Ohtani is good too. Still haven't seen Upton yet so this lineup could end up being very good. The rotation however is worse than the 2004 Angels who's best starter was Escobar with a 3.93 ERA. 2004 Colon & Sele had a 5.01 & 5.05 ERA vs Cahill & Harvey with ERA's over 6.00.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Great start from Canning. Also, Ty Buttrey is damn good
As far as stats go Buttrey is having the best season as an Angels reliever that i can remember. His Strikeout to walk ratio is just incredible.
All this from just acquiring Kinsler & then trading him to Boston for Buttrey.

Mariners fall to 4th place in the AL West. They may be last place in a week.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So those Mariners that Dipoto is running are 5-19 vs Teams above .500 while the Angels are 6-8 vs teams above .500, that explains why the Mariners have fallen down to earth.

to be fair, DiPoto stated it would take the Mariners about two years to be competitive. I'm surprised they had a huge start. Now their pitching staff is falling out of favor faster than GoT fans with season 8. The Angels have had hitters for years. Eppler's had three previous years to build up the Angels. We should be the superior team when compared to a Mariner's team in complete rebuild.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Whats also interesting is they could have a ton of guys batting .300 this year, currently Goodwin, Fletcher & Simmons are hitting .300+, Trout will probably finish above .300 as, possibly Ohtani too and then there is La Stella who is hitting .299. Having guys who draw alot of walks like Trout & Ohtani is good too. Still haven't seen Upton yet so this lineup could end up being very good. The rotation however is worse than the 2004 Angels who's best starter was Escobar with a 3.93 ERA. 2004 Colon & Sele had a 5.01 & 5.05 ERA vs Cahill & Harvey with ERA's over 6.00.

Salivating at the prospect of getting Upton back to this lineup!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
to be fair, DiPoto stated it would take the Mariners about two years to be competitive. I'm surprised they had a huge start. Now their pitching staff is falling out of favor faster than GoT fans with season 8. The Angels have had hitters for years. Eppler's had three previous years to build up the Angels. We should be the superior team when compared to a Mariner's team in complete rebuild.
Lots of weird stuff happens every year in the past 10 years, Every season there is at least one or two teams that are supposed to be rebuilding but end up doing much better than expected. I remember those depleted Athletics teams where they end up in 3rd place or the time they won the AL West with a depleted roster full of mostly just prospects & a few low cost FAs signed to 1 year deals.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Salivating at the prospect of getting Upton back to this lineup!
With him back they will be comparable to the 2009 Angels lineup. Was quite fun to watch: Morales, Hunter, Abreu, Figgins, Aybar, Kendrick, Napoli, Rivera, Vlad were all productive.
They had one game in 2009 where everyone in the lineup was currently hitting .300 & was nicknamed the '300 Sparta lineup'

Oct 18, 2011
They're going to score runs and the good thing with Upton back is they can rotate guys and keep all those OF's fresh and Trout and Ohtani at some point will get hot at the same time.

Hopefully the pitching is good enough

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
They're going to score runs and the good thing with Upton back is they can rotate guys and keep all those OF's fresh and Trout and Ohtani at some point will get hot at the same time.

Hopefully the pitching is good enough
upload_2019-5-19_16-12-31.png

It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad