OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
Tonight's game will likely be delayed or postponed at some point. Huge storms supposed to fire up with baseball to grapefruit sized hail, 70 mph winds and a few tornadoes.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Tonight's game will likely be delayed or postponed at some point. Huge storms supposed to fire up with baseball to grapefruit sized hail, 70 mph winds and a few tornadoes.
With all of the problems here, I would still rather live here than in an area with that type of weather exposure.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Guess we know why Angels didn't bring back Shoemaker, 26 starts and 137.1 IP in 3 seasons now.

Feel really bad for Shoe though, seems like a great guy just can't stay healthy at all and most of the time it's freak incidents too.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This team is embarrassingly bad. We better not go another offseason without addressing the rotation. It's an absolute joke that we have the rotation that we have after having had Trout for 7 years.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What does Trout have to do with having a bad rotation?
When you have a player of this caliber logic would indicate that you put effort into building a good team around him that can compete, and after 7 years we've been unable to acquire any core piece to the rotation.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
When you have a player of this caliber logic would indicate that you put effort into building a good team around him that can compete, and after 7 years we've been unable to acquire any core piece to the rotation.
They've tried, but most of their moves have been poorly conceived. Hamilton, Pujols, C.J. Wilson, Blanton to start. They haven't been able to draft and develop pitching. Ohtani could be a core piece, but IMO is more valuable as a position player.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
They've tried, but most of their moves have been poorly conceived. Hamilton, Pujols, C.J. Wilson, Blanton to start. They haven't been able to draft and develop pitching. Ohtani could be a core piece, but IMO is more valuable as a position player.
Yes, very few moves they've made have made any logical sense. That's why I am beyond fed up with Arte and Eppler. The team is absolutely embarrassing. I really don't get your last sentence though. Ohtani has #1 starter potential, way more than any other pitcher within the organization. I don't see how it could possibly by argued that he has more value as a position player.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yes, very few moves they've made have made any logical sense. That's why I am beyond fed up with Arte and Eppler. The team is absolutely embarrassing. I really don't get your last sentence though. Ohtani has #1 starter potential, way more than any other pitcher within the organization. I don't see how it could possibly by argued that he has more value as a position player.
because he'd be more durable as a position player & could achieve higher career WAR as a position player/DH than as a starting pitcher thats always hurt. Bigger difference between getting tommy john surgery due to pitching injury vs position player that misses a few weeks due to a hamstring injury.

In the long run i see him eventually moving to 1B/OF/DH full time when Ohtani decides its the best move for him, right now his heart is set on being a dual player pitching/hitting

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Because an elite position player has more value than a pitcher who is an injury risk. Can impact the game every night. Ohtani as an everyday RF would be an absolute beast in all phases of the game. He would be like a Bellinger or Yelich.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Because an elite position player has more value than a pitcher who is an injury risk. Can impact the game every night. Ohtani as an everyday RF would be an absolute beast in all phases of the game. He would be like a Bellinger or Yelich.
We have our future RF in Jo Adell

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Felix Pena pinch running and Bourjos playing second base. Amazing

EDIT: And now Bourjos makes a diving stop to rob Gardner of a base hit

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The Angels went to the playoffs under DiPoto with Trout, just putting that out there.

Pujols and Hamilton were Arte FA pickups. Arte flew out to them, not DiPoto. Both FA signings cost the Angels a first round pick in consecutive years under DiPoto. CJ Wilson wasn't bad. DiPoto traded for Greinke, but Arte wanted Hamilton instead. This opportunity represents a huge divide in thought between DiPoto and Arte (and to an extent, Eppler). By trading for Greinke and re-signing him, the Angels keep an ace and don't lose a first round pick. Arte bypassed all that b/c he's the owner. Arte doesn't care about first round pick and values the long ball over the pitcher (which a lot of fans on here are re-iterating between Ohtani the hitter vs Ohtani the pitcher). Anyhow, can you imagine having Greinke for the playoffs instead of a washed up Hamilton, forced up into the lineup by Sosh?!!!

Yet, people keep blaming DiPoto for a terrible farm team when DiPoto didn't have two first round picks. DiPoto wheels and deals, but he doesn't want to waste a first round pick.

When Eppler took over, pitching wasn't a priority like it was for DiPoto. Eppler's traded out pitchers, remember we traded 1st rounder Sean Newcomb away for positional player Simba. Traded a couple of pitchers for OF Upton. Eppler's relying on the pitching contingent that DiPoto scrounged and traded for several years ago. Eppler hasn't had a club finish above .500 in his three years as Angels GM.

The Mariners and DiPoto were thought to be in re-build mode this season. So many people keep harping on DiPoto that he there isn't a trade he doesn't like, yet they're flying high still.

But Eppler doesn't get the brunt of the blame. That still goes to owner Arte. The self-imposed salary cap despite Pujols taking up $30 doesn't phase Arte. Arte thought he could be Steinbrenner west, but failed miserably and is now wanting profit. I think with more money, Eppler could do more with his philosophy. Yet it was DiPoto who happened to be more versatile.

Reactions: Deuce22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad