OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
D3GYx_QWAAEoHOh.jpg

No Cozart

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Another loss. Our offense was still completely anemic, we wouldn't have scored if the Mariners defense wasn't so awful. Stratton had a bad start but looked ok after the first. This team is going to be hard to watch until Ohtani and Upton get back. 0 offensive talent in the lineup outside of Trout. Our bullpen gave up its first runs courtesy of Bruce's 2 run home run. Looking like it's going to be a rough season.

Reactions: duxfan1101

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Angels lose again. Offense is still abhorrent as they score only 1 run. It was enough to keep it tied into the 8th until Garcia gave up a home run. Angels had runners on the corners with 1 out in the 9th, but Pujols struck out and Lucroy, who led the offense today, grounded out. Angels are now 1-5, worst record in the majors, which they will possibly share with the Red Sox if they ended up losing the A's tonight.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
This is going to be a loooooooooooong slog of a season. This lineup is literally unwatchable (outside of Trout) until Ohtani gets back in mid-May, except I would just walk Trout every time up and force someone else to beat me.

Also can't wait until all the kids get up here from the farm. We need dynamic athletes and it shows because this team is slow as f***. Feels like no one can pressure defenses into taking the extra base because our team speed is below average.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This is going to be a loooooooooooong slog of a season. This lineup is literally unwatchable (outside of Trout) until Ohtani gets back in mid-May, except I would just walk Trout every time up and force someone else to beat me.

Also can't wait until all the kids get up here from the farm. We need dynamic athletes and it shows because this team is slow as ****. Feels like no one can pressure defenses into taking the extra base because our team speed is below average.
It needs to start now. Ward and Thaiss are ready. No reason for Thaiss not to be up after his monster spring. Bour and Cozart are horrific.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
At least Cahill looked impressive

We've played only 6 games out of 162 games. Pitchers Harvey, Skaggs, and Cahill's second appearance looked good. Offensively, we're missing two big bats in Upton and Ohtani. Pitching, we're missing Heaney for a bit and we don't get Ohtani back until next season. We're 1-5 and I think our hitting philosophy isn't small ball, except for Trout (going from first to third on a hit). Starting off 1-5 is disheartening, but we're also missing a lot of weapons.

The Mariners were supposed to be tanking this year as they sold off a lot of starters for youth, as DiPoto has quickly revamped the farm team. They're 7-1 right now. Some of their trades wasn't for prospects only. DiPoto sent 8-time all star Cano (along with his high salary) and big time closer Diaz to the Mets for five players, two vets and three prospects. The vets are OF Jay Bruce and relief P Swazrak, both helping with wins already. The three prospects are OF Kelenic (2nd overall Mariners' prospect), RHP Dunn (3rd overall), and RHP Gerson Bautista (27th overall).

That trade reminds me of GM Bob Murray such that he's rebuilding on the fly. Bob traded Bobby Ryan (and his high salary) for Silf, prospect Noesen, and a first round pick (who became Nick Ritchie). We lost Noesen to waivers to the NJ Devils. Ritchie is on a 2-year bridge deal. Silf was re-signed for five more years, with an AAV of $5.25 mil. I think we made out, considering Silf produced similarly to Ryan at a far cheaper rate.

Anyhow, the season is still early. The Mariners could still collapse once people figure out where their deficiency lies (that defense is masked by their offense). The Angels can surge upwards once more weapons return from injury in batters of Upton and Ohtani as well as pitcher Heaney. At the moment, though, it appears DiPoto's still doing something right at the MLB and MiLB levels.

Farm team rankings going into 2019
B/R rankings: Mariners 10th, Angels 22nd
Club House corner: Mariner 12th, Angels 20th

Anaheim4ever wrote:
If he keeps it up they can probably get something for him at the trade deadline assuming the Angels are out of it

So wrong, but this made me laugh heartily b/c I really don't want to think that far ahead. LoL

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Way late on this but I was pleased to see that Trout signed the big extension. Like any fan I would have loved to have him hit the open market and join my team but overall it just seems right for these legendary type talents to stay put.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
My first game I attended this year. Trout is the best in the world as usual. Bullpen, god damn they are lights out. Thank you Eppler. Cozart, Bour, and Bourjos all suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest