Confirmed with Link: L. Schenn and Lecavalier (each 50% retained) dealt to Kings for Jordan Weal & a 3rd

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Scored off the PP. really felt like a kick in the gut as I was driving home from the game.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
:bow::bow::bow: thanks guys! i know it's an awesome deal for you guys too but it's crazy to believe how both LeCavalier & Schenn couldn't fit at all in Philly and yet in LA!

LeCavalier is doing everything, and i think most of us were certainly not expecting this

a nice win-win trade for both teams!

Vlad*

Has anyone been hearing any rumblings of "should've kept Vinny!"

the trade was good for both teams but people here badly overdid the whole "he's not an NHL player anymore" thing

you guys made it sound like everything was his fault. you forget how good he was for the Flyers before his initial injury. he came back and was inconsistent but was also saddled with terrible offensive players and they also attempted to move him to a position he's never played before

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He was given every chance all over the roster. Hell, if anything Berube gave him way too many chances.

The guy is well rested. New scene. Let's see how he's doing after a handful of games.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Again before people start saying Vinny is revived, lets remember how good he was the first few games for the Flyers.

Glad this is working out for the Kings... But I 100% expect him to come crashing back.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
What if Vinny has a terrific playoff run, love the team, want to play some more hockey and LA would glady keep him? How badly would the 50% retain impact your team?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Badly, but I doubt Lombardi would do that to Hextall.

I could see Vinny doing it to Hextall, however. Not in a mean way.

More likely they mutually terminate and resign him if they want him. Everyone wins.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
What if Vinny has a terrific playoff run, love the team, want to play some more hockey and LA would glady keep him? How badly would the 50% retain impact your team?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do any real harm based on the current cap outlook, especially since 2.25M is still better than a buyout.

I seriously doubt, though, that LA would want to keep Vinny or would be happy with him refusing to retire since they're not exactly sitting pretty against the cap. If Vinny stays, they only have ~11M for next year to sign a backup, three defenseman and Lucic.

Last edited:

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
:bow::bow::bow: thanks guys! i know it's an awesome deal for you guys too but it's crazy to believe how both LeCavalier & Schenn couldn't fit at all in Philly and yet in LA!

LeCavalier is doing everything, and i think most of us were certainly not expecting this

a nice win-win trade for both teams!

Schenn fit in fine here, we just have a lot of young D on the way and he was a UFA

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It wouldn't mater much since I don't think the Flyers have plans to go after big free agents this summer. It might force Hextall to buy out Umberger, which he probably should do anyway. The guys in bold have yet to be signed, but I think my guesses for their cap hits are reasonable.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 8.25
Streit ~ 5.25
MacDonald ~ 5
Couturier ~ 4.33
Mason ~ 4.1
BSchenn ~ 4
Simmonds ~ 3.975
MDZ ~ 3.875
Read ~ 3.625
Gudas ~ 2.75
Schultz ~ 2.25
Raffl ~ 2.25
Vinny retention 2.25
Neuvirth ~ 1.625
Umberger buyout ~ 1.6
Konecny ~ 0.925
Provorov ~ 0.925
Gostisbehere ~ 0.863
Laughton ~ 0.863
Cousins ~ 0.75
VandeVelde ~ 0.7125
Bellemare ~ 0.7125
Weal ~ 0.65
TOTAL (22 man roster) 69.806

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Listening to some kings fans, I hope he stays and they are stuck with his cap hit. We were stuck with it no matter what so glad at least half of it is gone. 3 PP goals, none at even strength.

And most here knew Luke was a good d man just not being sheltered on a horrible D core

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised Luke Schenn is a solid defenseman who went to a team far better suited to covering his warts.

Vinny is exactly who he seemed to be. He still has an excellent shot, he just can't consistently get to the spots to use it anymore, he's poor at best defensively, and he's getting demolished at even strength -- 43.6 CF% in 6 games with LA, which drops to 40.3% during this goal streak while scoring on 3/8 total shots. This is a guy people think can keep it up?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised Luke Schenn is a solid defenseman who went to a team far better suited to covering his warts.

Vinny is exactly who he seemed to be. He still has an excellent shot, he just can't consistently get to the spots to use it anymore, he's poor at best defensively, and he's getting demolished at even strength -- 43.6 CF% in 6 games with LA, which drops to 40.3% during this goal streak while scoring on 3/8 total shots. This is a guy people think can keep it up?

Goals hold the most weight with the average fan. Once Vinny stops scoring, they'll understand how terrible the guy is. IDGAF about his scoring rate. He could have 20 goals for the rest of the season and I still wouldn't regret the move to get rid of him. Neither he nor Schenn are guys you should care about moving.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
sa cyred said:
Again before people start saying Vinny is revived, lets remember how good he was the first few games for the Flyers.

Glad this is working out for the Kings... But I 100% expect him to come crashing back.

I agree completely. Plus, I don't think enough is made of the effect the seismic shift in environment has on Lecavalier's mental make-up. Here, the situation devolved to where he was barely playing and was under a microscope when he did. No need to prove himself because expectations are low.

That's not to say that his diminishing hockey skills were front and centre in the negative circumstances with the Flyers. Like sa said, Lecavalier came in here like gangbusters, was the Flyers' best forward for a stretch, threw out his chronically bad back, came back a shadow of himself, and the slippery slope was engaged.

I am glad that Lecavalier is making the most out of finishing his great career on a high note. I am likewise pleased that Hextall was able to so elegantly get out from under Lecavalier's contract for the next couple of years.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So Vinny is playing a 200 foot game in LA? How come I find this hard to believe? Probably all adrenaline...he'll flame out.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
So Vinny is playing a 200 foot game in LA? How come I find this hard to believe? Probably all adrenaline...he'll flame out.

He is on a better team which shelter's them against his weaknesses. Whether he will sustain his play, it is hard to say, but I would not be surprised if he continued to contribute in that system.

The issue that concerns me is whether he will retire or not at the end of the season. Vinny is a fairly prideful guy (at least that is what it seemed like in Philly) who believes he can still play and contribute. At this moment he is playing and contributing and he may continue to do so over the remainder of the season. The agreement to retire, from what I gather, is simply a handshake, which is not a binding contract (note that there may be some behind the scenes agreement that I/we are not aware of, so I admit that). This begs the question "why should he retire if he thinks he can still play and contribute?" This was the gist of his issue in Philly and the reason why he did not simply retire as a Flyer. What changes that thought process for Vinny now as a King? If anything, he has validated himself, to himself that he can still play and contribute.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
yeah, Schenn playing well is no big surprise. He hasn't been as bad as leafs fans on the main board like he pretend that he is.

Vinny's recent rediscovery of goal-scoring is just one big fluke. He's not exhausted yet, he'll come crashing down soon enough.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Well on the PP he will probably continue to produce, as LA needed a hard shot. Also it seems like so far defenders are almost ignoring him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Listening to some kings fans, I hope he stays and they are stuck with his cap hit. We were stuck with it no matter what so glad at least half of it is gone. 3 PP goals, none at even strength.

And most here knew Luke was a good d man just not being sheltered on a horrible D core

Yeah but if he stays...then we too are stuck with half the hit. If he retires, we are done.

In the summer, trade him to Tampa for a day, let him terminate the contract, then re-sign with LA for 1 million 1 year deal. Everyone wins again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
LA is the ideal fit for Schenn. We are perfectly aware of what Schenn can do in the right conditions.

Vinny's production isn't sustainable. A lot of LA fans on the main board are going to eat crow.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even if Vinnie scores for LA, he wouldn't get on the ice here.
Same with Schenn, who's a decent 3rd pair D-man with the right partner, but an awful fit for Hakstol's scheme.

It doesn't matter what they do for LA, for us the trade was a net gain in terms of both assets and cap room. Even if Weal doesn't pan out, we have a 3rd rd pick and enough cap room for Hextall to maneuver this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
LA is the ideal fit for Schenn. We are perfectly aware of what Schenn can do in the right conditions.

Vinny's production isn't sustainable. A lot of LA fans on the main board are going to eat crow.

Oh come one! It has been six games! That is plenty of time to prove that he has rejuvenated his career! Or does that only apply to Flyers prospects? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad