Confirmed with Link: L. Schenn and Lecavalier (each 50% retained) dealt to Kings for Jordan Weal & a 3rd

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't really think it would be that bad for the Flyers. Obviously worse than if he retires, but we were anticipating a buyout or the possibility of at least one more year at full cap hit before a buyout. I think the difference between the buyout and the retention is actually more if he were bought out. In other words...this is a win-win for the Flyers. He retires, the cap hit is gone 100%. He stays and plays, the the cap hit is less than it would be if he were to stay here and get a full cap hit, and is also less than if he was bought out (plus we don't have the two extra years of ~$1 million).

Definitely.

The worst case scenario now is still better than if we never traded him or bought him out.

Unless he scores the game-winning goal in triple overtime of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Then i'll be homicidal lol.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If Vinny actually plays well, despite how low that probably is, it could be extremely bad for the Flyers if he doesn't retire and the Kings don't want him to. We should wish him well, but hope he sucks.

I fail to see how that could be extremely bad for the Flyers. The flyers were more than likely going to buy him out anyways. By trading him and retaining 50% of his contract the flyers are better off. People should be just grateful the flyers ended up trading Vinny at this point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Extremely bad would have been keeping Vinny on the roster for 16-17.

Bad would have been having to buy him out.

Anything else is not bad in comparison.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If Vinny wants to keep playing and still keep his word to Kings, can't he still terminate and then resign for 750 K ?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'm going to go with no here. I don't have the exact rules but that sounds like something teams would/could take advantage of without some type of rule in place to prohibit that.

You can terminate but not sign with same team iirc.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I really want to see Weal in the lineup as soon as possible. If he could translate some of his offense to the NHL level at center and be OK defensively, it would help the balance of the team a lot.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah that's what I meant. If it's like a compliance buyout you'd have to wait a year before you can sign with that team again.

In the end though I don't think he plays next year. I think he just wanted to go out on his own terms.

Sort of. Lombardi told him he had to retire or he was not acquiring him.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
It's easier to mask/ cover for his flaws on a stacked kings team. I am happy for him, but happier that he is not here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He scored a hat trick in one of his first games here, but then turned to ****.

If they expect him to keep playing like this they're delusional.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LA is the best possible place for Vinny. They get away with so much interference as a team that his lack of skating ability is not such an issue.

I still can't believe he's killing penalties for them, though. He had 2:46 of SH TOI in two and a half seasons as a Flyer.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Uhh... I guess Sutter likes Vinny's reach on the PK? Pretty baffling move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad