Confirmed with Link: L. Schenn and Lecavalier (each 50% retained) dealt to Kings for Jordan Weal & a 3rd

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He is on a better team which shelter's them against his weaknesses. Whether he will sustain his play, it is hard to say, but I would not be surprised if he continued to contribute in that system.

The issue that concerns me is whether he will retire or not at the end of the season. Vinny is a fairly prideful guy (at least that is what it seemed like in Philly) who believes he can still play and contribute. At this moment he is playing and contributing and he may continue to do so over the remainder of the season. The agreement to retire, from what I gather, is simply a handshake, which is not a binding contract (note that there may be some behind the scenes agreement that I/we are not aware of, so I admit that). This begs the question "why should he retire if he thinks he can still play and contribute?" This was the gist of his issue in Philly and the reason why he did not simply retire as a Flyer. What changes that thought process for Vinny now as a King? If anything, he has validated himself, to himself that he can still play and contribute.

Lombardi made it clear that the only condition on his acquiring Vinny from the Flyers was that Vinny is retiring, because he can't take his cap hit next year. Without that agreement, he would still be a Flyer.

If Vinny comes to camp he will ruin LA's season before it starts, and likely sit in the pressbox for the duration of his contract, his reputation in tatters for violating his word. He won't do it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he still wants to play he could terminate his deal, and sign somewhere else without losing much money.

But if the worst happens and he plays in LA for two more years we will be fine, and much better off than if we had bought him out.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised Luke Schenn is a solid defenseman who went to a team far better suited to covering his warts.

Vinny is exactly who he seemed to be. He still has an excellent shot, he just can't consistently get to the spots to use it anymore, he's poor at best defensively, and he's getting demolished at even strength -- 43.6 CF% in 6 games with LA, which drops to 40.3% during this goal streak while scoring on 3/8 total shots. This is a guy people think can keep it up?
I think this is selling him a bit short. He's been good for us goals aside. There's a reason why Sutter bumped up his ice time.

I don't know if it's sustainable, but he's putting in a lot of effort out there right now. He's playing like a guy that's got something to prove.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think this is selling him a bit short. He's been good for us goals aside. There's a reason why Sutter bumped up his ice time.

I don't know if it's sustainable, but he's putting in a lot of effort out there right now. He's playing like a guy that's got something to prove.

Yeah, he started that way in Philly too. He crashed fast and hard.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Doesn't really matter at this point I suppose....Vinny wasn't a fit here regardless and it sounds like he still can't play a 200 foot game. That still makes him overpaid and not much of an added value even if LA is benefitting from what is most likely a dead cat bounce....

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I don't think any reasonable Flyers fan during his tenure would question his character or effort. Quite frankly, I hope he somehow manages to be a valuable piece for one last run because he's spent his career being pretty much a model of what you want in a player on and off the ice.

I am just saying the underlying numbers are painting the same picture they did here. That's not a good sign.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Lombardi made it clear that the only condition on his acquiring Vinny from the Flyers was that Vinny is retiring, because he can't take his cap hit next year. Without that agreement, he would still be a Flyer.

If Vinny comes to camp he will ruin LA's season before it starts, and likely sit in the pressbox for the duration of his contract, his reputation in tatters for violating his word. He won't do it.

You are probably right, but he certainly remained in the press box in Philly. I am not so sure that he is worried about his reputation as it relates to his word. He is a player in the twilight of his career, who has earned a lot of money and accomplished plenty. That will account more for his reputation than a suggested word or handshake.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
It's important for us all to remember the facts here:

1. Except for his play pre-injury in his first season for us, he was downright horrible. Nobody was being "hard on him." He sucked, in every aspect of the game. He was given numerous chances with a variety of different line combinations, and he still looked like a slug out there.

2. His contract was brutal. Even if he was playing at an average level for us this year, we would have had to figure out how to get rid of his contract burden for the next 2-3 years.

3. We're on the hook for $2.25M this year and nothing after that. It doesn't matter if he leads the league in scoring and hits for the rest of the season; this was the best scenario, sans a sudden midseason retirement, we could have ever hoped for.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
You are probably right, but he certainly remained in the press box in Philly. I am not so sure that he is worried about his reputation as it relates to his word. He is a player in the twilight of his career, who has earned a lot of money and accomplished plenty. That will account more for his reputation than a suggested word or handshake.

He wants to retire on a high note, so he took the King's offer which was his only way out of Philly. He's been given that chance, and good luck to him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It's important for us all to remember the facts here:

1. Except for his play pre-injury in his first season for us, he was downright horrible. Nobody was being "hard on him." He sucked, in every aspect of the game. He was given numerous chances with a variety of different line combinations, and he still looked like a slug out there.

2. His contract was brutal. Even if he was playing at an average level for us this year, we would have had to figure out how to get rid of his contract burden for the next 2-3 years.

3. We're on the hook for $2.25M this year and nothing after that. It doesn't matter if he leads the league in scoring and hits for the rest of the season; this was the best scenario, sans a sudden midseason retirement, we could have ever hoped for.

All true, esp. the last line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just interested to get a Philly take on it, but was Lecavalier not given a fair shake?

Granted it wasn't a great fit and he's well insulated in LA, but were the Flyers more interested in alienating/ridding themselves of Lecavalier than trying to make it work?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just interested to get a Philly take on it, but was Lecavalier not given a fair shake?

Granted it wasn't a great fit and he's well insulated in LA, but were the Flyers more interested in alienating/ridding themselves of Lecavalier than trying to make it work?

He was given a fair shake. He just kept getting progressively worse as time went on to the point this offseason/season the organization basically gave up on him.

He would have been traded after his first season here if the Flyers got their wish. They had two deals lined up but they both got nixed. The one was with Nashville, one of the owner's wouldn't sign off on it because he was still bitter by the Weber OS. The other was with Ottawa that Vinny himself blocked.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

He was given way too many chances here and failed every single time. It's nice he is having a good start on LA, but I wouldn't expect it to last long.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He was given too many chances, he just wasted them.

What you're seeing now is the last twitches before an animal dies. He's running on pure adrenaline and luck, he won't keep it up long.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

I give a massively long leash to players i like and have hope for. I even still liked Bryz up until the buyout and surge of Steve Mason. So trust me when I say, Vinny was given his ice time and opportunities and just flat out stunk.

I think adding Vinny was smart for the Kings in a "let's win it for the Vet about to retire" kinda way. The fact that he's fitting well enough in LA is a pleasant surprise to those that liked him in Philly. I am still thrilled with the trade. Luke is a great Greene/Mitchell replacement too

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
5v5 Corsi as a Flyer: 45.3
5v5 Corsi rel as a Flyer: -5.1%
5v5 P/60 as a Flyer: 1.4

5v5 Corsi as a King: 43.6%
5v5 Corsi rel as a King: -16.2%
5v5 P/60 as a King: 1

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
5v5 Corsi as a Flyer: 45.3
5v5 Corsi rel as a Flyer: -5.1%
5v5 P/60 as a Flyer: 1.4

5v5 Corsi as a King: 43.6%
5v5 Corsi rel as a King: -16.2%
5v5 P/60 as a King: 1

What is his QoC? Im guessing he is facing tougher opposition than he was here, where he was as sheltered as possible.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What is his QoC? Im guessing he is facing tougher opposition than he was here, where he was as sheltered as possible.

Tougher QoC (against top 6's), but his zone starts are up at 56%... he was at 57% as a Flyer.

Also the corsi QoC figure is arguably a bit skewed as it stands, as he has played against Dallas, St. Louis and Detroit in his 6 games. Over the last 6 games most of the Kings players have very high corsi QoC as a result.

The average ice time of his opponents is 17.2 vs the 17.0 he had in Philly.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tougher QoC (against top 6's), but his zone starts are up at 56%... he was at 57% as a Flyer.

Also the corsi QoC figure is arguably a bit skewed as it stands, as he has played against Dallas, St. Louis and Detroit in his 6 games. Over the last 6 games most of the Kings players have very high corsi QoC as a result.

The average ice time of his opponents is 17.2 vs the 17.0 he had in Philly.

So he is playing pretty much the same as he was here when all factors are weighed. Have fun with that when the PP gimmes dry up LA. Lol.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So he is playing pretty much the same as he was here when all factors are weighed. Have fun with that when the PP gimmes dry up LA. Lol.

Having watched 3 of his games he is visually playing a bit better in LA... but it is mainly down to the fact that he is actually skating hard now. He looks the same player skills wise, read wise etc... just he is putting in more effort.

Basically looks like Vinny from the back-end of 2013-14 and first half of 2014-15 instead of Vinny in last calendar year.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I guess with such a toxic organization LA have been with terminating players, drug busts and deportations Vinny could be a good news story for them.

Anyone could look good there unless they are Dustin Brown I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad