Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I've been leaning this direction as well. I'd love to hire the Nashville duo (Trotz + Poile) if they are let go, but if not, i'd like a young coach and young gm with a new direction. The NHL has evolved, I'd like a new mentality for running this team

Trust me, you do not. Poile is way too timid, and Trotz is steadfast on his veteran first approach and sucking offense out of games.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Poile? What the **** has that loser ever accomplished?

Considering he's the GM of Nashville? Basically built his team without using free agency (due to being a small market team), built through the draft, and builds his teams from the net out.

If he could spend to the cap, his teams would've been way stronger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m
Source confirms #Leafs CEO Tim Leiweke interest in Brendan Shanahan in a potential role with hockey club. More 2nite on @Sportsnet Connected
Expand

LOL..seriously..??? I was going to crack a joke on here yesterday about Leiweke bringing in Brandon Shanahan.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Trust me, you do not. Poile is way too timid, and Trotz is steadfast on his veteran first approach and sucking offense out of games.

Think so? I think more than anything I want a GM who doesn't trade picks and builds through the draft

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Considering he's the GM of Nashville? Basically built his team without using free agency (due to being a small market team), built through the draft, and builds his teams from the net out.

Sounds like Polie would be the perfect person to do the hiring for our amateur scouts. He seems to be able to hire a competent drafting team.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 29s
On @TSNDrive, @TSNBobMcKenzie says Brendan Shananan would be brought in to be above the general manager's position.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

If leafs owners were smart they would enforce an internal salary cap of 90% of actual.

No team should ever max out the cap. Never ever ever ever because if something to good to say no to cones up you are screwed or screw up or if you are Dave Nonis you double screw up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So pretty much Tim Leiweke doesn't want to be the one to fire Nonis after giving him the long extension. BUT if he brings in someone (Shanahan) to run the Hockey Operations so he can focus on TFC and Raptors... and that person (Shanahan) decides to fire Nonis, then its all good

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
That's change I can get on board. What's the point in complaining about experience? Everyone has got to start somewhere and besides that, it's not like all that experience has done the organization any good. Maybe having a rookie on board will bring some fresh perspective rather than using experience who reuse old strategies and hope they work.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
So pretty much Tim Leiweke doesn't want to be the one to fire Nonis after giving him the long extension. BUT if he brings in someone (Shanahan) to run the Hockey Operations so he can focus on TFC and Raptors... and that person (Shanahan) decides to fire Nonis, then its all good

Hittin' the nail with a hammer here

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
McKenzie "Shanahan would want to be more hands on. If he were to come in & Nonis stayed. No question Dave's role would be marginalized"

Dave Nonis would be Greg Sherman'd :laugh:

"Dave, you are still my General Manager.... but you can't do anything with player transactions at all"

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Hey, if that person can come in and make necessary changes I don't care if they take the roundabout route :). Plus not like bringing in Shanahan by its nature is a bad idea. Not a bad guy to be putting in the spot directly above the GM.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Think so? I think more than anything I want a GM who doesn't trade picks and builds through the draft

Yes. If he's let go, that doesn't mean his scouts are coming with him. I want a GM that's not afraid to shake things up and make moves. If that's what you're looking for, Poile's not your guy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
McKenzie "Shanahan would want to be more hands on. If he were to come in & Nonis stayed. No question Dave's role would be marginalized"

Dave Nonis would be Greg Sherman'd :laugh:

"Dave, you are still my General Manager.... but you can't do anything with player transactions at all"

Hahaha that's got to be an embarrassing position to be in for Nonis.

It's the ya, I am a dope so they got me a nanny. Lol

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Sounds like Polie would be the perfect person to do the hiring for our amateur scouts. He seems to be able to hire a competent drafting team.

It's a mute point , ownership will never allow that to happen.

It takes to long and it opens chances at making the playoffs less.

Case in point

Brian Burke those picks out the door for a nhl ready player in Kessel.

Those players sent to calg ( that could have been sold for picks) for a nhl ready player Dion.

inking Liles,Grabo and holds mac(why? sniffing the POs) because moving them out risked taking a step back.

Nonis , last TD sniffing the POs holds onto Mac and adds Obryn

Nonis inks Clarktard , send picks out for Bolo , holds onto all his UFAs at the TD ( despite not having 2013/2014/2015 2nds), why? sniffing the POs

had to ink Dion,why? fear of taking a step back? but back from what? (sniffing the POs).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Nonis' role is marginalized/reduced, you just know he is stepping down and going to Calgary.

Could get mighty interesting. Looking more and more likely Nonis will be gone

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I have to assume TL is smart enough to keep this stuff quite until Shanahan has indicated he would want the position. Seems like a lot of unnecessary talk if both sides aren't interested.

I personally would like it, someone to stop Nonis from signing Bolland for 6+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad