Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It would start the timer on Nonis' "elimination clock" thats for sure. One thing new guys always want is "their guy". Firing the current guy buys them a reprieve when things go south (as I expect Nonis will exercise on Carlyle in the near future).

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That's just it.

Don't see why he would want to come here. He has no association to Toronto at all really. And I highly doubt we're the only team offering him a job. Don't see how this works except for Leafs fan desperate for a sense of direction going into the off-season.

Hes from Toronto, isnt he?

That and he knows along with the rest of the world that whomever brings Stanley back to Toronto will be like Gods.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

That and he knows along with the rest of the world that whomever brings Stanley back to Toronto will be like Gods.

i think that's it. regardless of the shambles of the organization - the fact that you'd have Schools named after you (children named after you, statues) would enough to lure anyone here really.

and I agree with your previous comment.
Lieweke brings in his own president. the President is going to make sure that he has his own guys in place.

buhbye Nonis & Carlyle.

Bluejaysfan*

Yup, it's pretty much the same reason why Phil Jackson left retirement and the Lakers to join the Knicks. Whoever brings a championship to that city will be treated like a god. When TL said he wants to bring in people that embrace the pressure, I'm sure he meant it in all aspects. Truly great players thrive under that pressure, most others fail. This also applies to the front office. Some people want and demand that pressure. That's what separates the great from the good.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

That's about as much as I could see him wanting to come to Toronto is because it's close to home. Obviously it depends on what position we're offering him but I think TL would be throwing more money at him then anything..

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
That would be unreal, imagine all the stuff we could get away with if Shanny was president of hockey operations and kept his role as sheriff. No more suspensions baby! Kadri can run all the goalies he wants, nice guy Clarkson can jump of the bench anytime he senses a teammate in danger, Kessel can slash players legs off when they outwork him, and Phanuef can smash players faces in when they blow past him!!

In all seriousness thou, Shanny would be good depending on the role.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It'll be something like "President of hockey operations" or something of that mold. I don't see us handing over the GM position to a noob.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If it's a sign of greater changes I'm all for it. Maybe in that President of Hockey Operations role and then able to start setting things up from there.

With this team you always wonder, but at least at the current time we can just go ahead and speculate.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
If Shanahan wants to move into the management side for a team sure why not, wouldnt give him the reins of GM thou, President of hockey ops is fine.

Jacob8hockey*

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
Confirming that MLSE prez Tim Leiweke has contacted @NHLShanahan for top hockey ops position with Maple Leafs.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
A proven winner who doesn't tolerate losing is exactly what this franchise could use.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well certainly enough confirmation that he's been approached. Still have to see if Shanahan actually takes the offer and what comes after that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hooo boy.

Drahhhmaaaaahhhh

tumblr_m9uyriuKb01qi0d7lo3_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad