Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Bowman was the GM in Buffalo and he was terrible?

Between here and there he also became one of the most celebrated coaches and hockey men in this league's history. But sure, he was bad at being a GM in 1987. The year Kessel was born. But he probably didn't pick up any tips in the meantime.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They were just talking about this on Leafs lunch the other day.

Why do we always feel the need to HAVE to bring in a guy with experience?

Everyone always whines and argues "Ohh you can't have a rookie *blank* (coach/president/gm/whatever) The market will eat them alive."

I don't buy that for a second!

Look at rookie coaches in the last few years.... Craig Berube has been awesome in Philly. Jon Cooper was fantastic in the A and now look at Tampa. Paul Mclean won the Jack Adams last year in Ottawa.

Patty Roy....
Yzerman (rookie GM)
Sakic (Rookie President of Hockey Ops)
John Davidson (when he was in St Louis)

it's making sure you have the BEST Rookie in place.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
This sounds like when an organization brings in an outside person to evaluate the organization and make recommendations. Just speculation on my part of course, but I would think it may go in the direction of a John Davidson in Columbus/Brian Burke in Calgary type of hire. Have a look, make some recommendations to ownership and see what happens?

Of course this is just me speculating. Hopefully he gets on with the Leafs and helps things. I've always thought that getting a good mind in any organization is good no matter how good your team is doing.

If he evaluates the organization the same way he evaluated suspend-able/non-suspend-able penalties we are screwed for another decade.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Montreal was in the same situation and brought in someone with little experience.

And he proceeded to miscalculate the value of his most important player, which will soon cost him millions of dollars in real money and capspace.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Between here and there he also became one of the most celebrated coaches and hockey men in this league's history. But sure, he was bad at being a GM in 1987. The year Kessel was born. But he probably didn't pick up any tips in the meantime.

Not sure if your serious.

What is Bowman now, 75? 80?

My mistake, he's a spry 81.

Last edited:

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
They were just talking about this on Leafs lunch the other day.

Why do we always feel the need to HAVE to bring in a guy with experience?

Everyone always whines and argues "Ohh you can't have a rookie *blank* (coach/president/gm/whatever) The market will eat them alive."

I don't buy that for a second!

Look at rookie coaches in the last few years.... Craig Berube has been awesome in Philly. Jon Cooper was fantastic in the A and now look at Tampa. Paul Mclean won the Jack Adams last year in Ottawa.

The Leafs are archaic. Always going after retreads and recycling GM's/coaches/etc. Maybe a fresh face is what this team needs? (I understand JFJ didn't work out but different time/people/etc).
Very true. All coaches were "rookies" at one point. I did notice Dallas Eakins was missing form your list thought. ;)

Who are the top guys out there right now that could potentially be in consideration if we are talking about coaches? I honestly don't know.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Very true. All coaches were "rookies" at one point. I did notice Dallas Eakins was missing form your list thought. ;)

Who are the top guys out there right now that could potentially be in consideration if we are talking about coaches? I honestly don't know.

Davis Payne.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I seriously doubt Shanahan is being looked at as a Coach or GM.

driver3000

Dec 17, 2011
Niagara
He's going to be the new pres of hockey ops. Pretty much a guarantee that's what he's looking to bring him in as.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This would be the perfect time to give Stamkos' Dad a Front Office Role.

Bluejaysfan*

Exploit MLSE's HUGE FINANCIAL ADVANTAGE

That's what I don't get about the Leafs and MLSE in general. Why not use their financial resources to hire a guy like Gary Roberts as their strength and conditioning coach, ask Scott Neidermayer if he is interested in working a defense coach if anything so that he can mentor Rielly and Gardiner...Things like that

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well it's an interesting bit of information at any rate. Not sure what the plan there is exactly, but it's something.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Didnt you know, without Toronto there is no NHL :sarcasm:

That's just it.

Don't see why he would want to come here. He has no association to Toronto at all really. And I highly doubt we're the only team offering him a job. Don't see how this works except for Leafs fan desperate for a sense of direction going into the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad