Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m
Source confirms #Leafs CEO Tim Leiweke interest in Brendan Shanahan in a potential role with hockey club. More 2nite on @Sportsnet Connected
Expand

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
So this means Burke can fire Hartley in hopes of signing Carlyle and bring Nonis in as GM? Seems to be the pattern. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, Shanny would be a good addition IMHO.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Why are the Toronto Maple Leafs, a team with nearly unlimited resources, considering giving out top positions to people with absolutely no experience managing or operating an NHL hockey team? Say what you want about the staff we have now, but they have/had resumes a mile long and are well respected hockey people.

Kyle Doobas*

Why are the Toronto Maple Leafs, a team with nearly unlimited resources, considering giving out top positions to people with absolutely no experience managing or operating an NHL hockey team? Say what you want about the staff we have now, but they have/had resumes a mile long and are well respected hockey people.
It says 'a role'.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada

Then i vote get some fresh minds in here.... Screw this mile long resume thing, obviously its not working for us.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
hmm..this definitely sounds intriguing...heard some rumour that he is definitely interested in being a GM..although I'm not sure if thats what Tim L has in mind...

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Then i vote get some fresh minds in here.... Screw this mile long resume thing, obviously its not working for us.

We saw it when we hired Burke that we are about the only team in this league that can poach GMs. There are few untouchables out there.

Bluejaysfan*

Brian Burke had experience, look what happened...
Ron Wilson had experience, look what happened...
Dave Nonis had experience, look what happened...
Randy Carlyle had experience, look what happened...

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

You gotta start somewhere. Aside from JFJ, we've brought in people with pretty good resumes to no success since the 2005 lockout, I don't see a problem with going a different direction.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

All I'm saying is we are about the only team that can have our way with the league when it comes to finding a new GM. You think Calgary could find a way to will someone like Scotty Bowman into a job? Or Buffalo? No. But the Leafs could.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All I'm saying is we are about the only team that can have our way with the league when it comes to finding a new GM. You think Calgary could find a way to will someone like Scotty Bowman into a job? Or Buffalo? No. But the Leafs could.

Bowman was the GM in Buffalo and he was terrible?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m
Source confirms #Leafs CEO Tim Leiweke interest in Brendan Shanahan in a potential role with hockey club. More 2nite on @Sportsnet Connected
Expand

ooho.
this could mean we won't be hosed on suspensions anymore ;)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What if Shanahan brings his buddy Ken Holland with him?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Ratings grab. He knows people aren't going to watch with the Leafs out of the playoffs. You've all just got lured in.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

They were just talking about this on Leafs lunch the other day.

Why do we always feel the need to HAVE to bring in a guy with experience?

Everyone always whines and argues "Ohh you can't have a rookie *blank* (coach/president/gm/whatever) The market will eat them alive."

I don't buy that for a second!

Look at rookie coaches in the last few years.... Craig Berube has been awesome in Philly. Jon Cooper was fantastic in the A and now look at Tampa. Paul Mclean won the Jack Adams last year in Ottawa.

The Leafs are archaic. Always going after retreads and recycling GM's/coaches/etc. Maybe a fresh face is what this team needs? (I understand JFJ didn't work out but different time/people/etc).

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
This sounds like when an organization brings in an outside person to evaluate the organization and make recommendations. Just speculation on my part of course, but I would think it may go in the direction of a John Davidson in Columbus/Brian Burke in Calgary type of hire. Have a look, make some recommendations to ownership and see what happens?

Of course this is just me speculating. Hopefully he gets on with the Leafs and helps things. I've always thought that getting a good mind in any organization is good no matter how good your team is doing.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Montreal was in the same situation and brought in someone with little experience.

Jacob8hockey*

Shanahan or Gretzky are both welcomed by this Leaf fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad