Sportsnet: Kypreos: Tim Leiweke wants to bring in Brendan Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob8hockey*

Well certainly enough confirmation that he's been approached. Still have to see if Shanahan actually takes the offer and what comes after that.

From the way I have seen situations like this go as soon as the information gets out (where we are right now) it doesn't take long for it to finish up.

Todays another example with Linden and Van.

But yeah it should be interesting to see if he is interested. I'd like to think and assume that he is.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Can anybody clarify what kind of impact a "top hockey ops" position has?

Not quite sure but it definitely means dave nonis is in trouble.

My guess is Nonis gets the summer and most of next season, if we dont look on the right track he's replaced by shanahan

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Stevie Y had no experience either.

Neither did Dan Bylsma.

RC was loaded with it.

It's about the right buy for the job.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Just the fact that candidates are being contacted for "top hockey ops positions" could be a signal that there are significant changes coming to the management.

Jacob8hockey*

Not quite sure but it definitely means dave nonis is in trouble.

My guess is Nonis gets the summer and most of next season, if we dont look on the right track he's replaced by shanahan

It wont be that long. TL isn't going to talk to Shanahan about a job potentially a year away. He wants to change the culture now, whether Shanahan and Nonis work together or not.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I've been leaning this direction as well. I'd love to hire the Nashville duo (Trotz + Poile) if they are let go, but if not, i'd like a young coach and young gm with a new direction. The NHL has evolved, I'd like a new mentality for running this team

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Stevie Y was an assistant in Detroit. Pretty sure Bylsma was somewhere as well.

Yeah Shanahan seems just way out of left field for me.

There are better fan favourite figurehead guys to be had (Sakic/Linden to their respective franchises make sense.. Shanahan was never a Leaf) and there are definitely more experienced former players to be had.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Can anybody clarify what kind of impact a "top hockey ops" position has?

The purpose of the position is to make it appear that MLSE is doing something about the Leafs. He won't actually do anything, but he's somebody to fire in a few years time when the fanbase gets all uppity again.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I've been leaning this direction as well. I'd love to hire the Nashville duo (Trotz + Poile) if they are let go, but if not, i'd like a young coach and young gm with a new direction. The NHL has evolved, I'd like a new mentality for running this team

Poile? What the **** has that loser ever accomplished?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well Shans has the connections and the experience in Detroits systems of play. Probably would help some.

Perhaps we won't get 7276363 suspensions. Although maybe he hates the leafs organization and is sworn enemy... Oh the plot thickens

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
That's just it.

Don't see why he would want to come here. He has no association to Toronto at all really. And I highly doubt we're the only team offering him a job. Don't see how this works except for Leafs fan desperate for a sense of direction going into the off-season.

Money talks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@mirtle: In all seriousness on the Leafs, I'll say this much: I don't think anyone's safe right now.

@bruce_arthur: If Tim Leiweke is talking to Brendan Shananan about a hockey ops job, then Dave Nonis is in trouble.

THE WRATH OF LEIWEKE IS COMING! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad