Speculation: Kypreos: "Some suggest Habs will take a good run at Beleskey"

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Ya, Belesky looks like a Clarkson type move. Atrocious PPG, insane shooting percentage, single year goal scoring boost and riding shotgun with Getzlaf and Perry day it all. Fortunately, even a buyout of PAP doesn't free enough space to get him.

Honestly 15% isn't that insane of a shooting %. DD shoots that.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm not sure what you guys really want Bergevin to do.. If we sign Belesky everyone will complain, and if we don't sign anyone, everyone will complain. The only major change I want is our coaching staff gone, even at the AHL level. No MT means no DD, and that makes are team exponentially better. We have the tools to be competitive, pursuing a player like Belesky would be a good idea to increase our competitiveness, but we can't sign him and still have DD center the top line. We'll never, ever, be competitive with him playing top minutes. Either MB needs to say **** it, and go for it, or build for the future (even though we have Price). What I don't want is to try and remain semi-competitive, and let DD center the top line until Price is in his 30's and Chucky walks. However, that's the direction I think we'll go with MT. If we can dump DD I'd gladly sign Belesky

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
You should challenge our GM to come up with solutions, not posters on a internet messages boards.

That's part of the point. Everyone has "the answer". Problem is we as fans are really on the periphery. We like to think we can affect the team's fortunes but we really have little impact apart from discontinuing our support of the team financially. The most hilarious part of the social media era is that a twitter account somehow seems to legitimize a persons credibility and or perspective. People read a tweet about the Habs they don't agree with and people get bent out of shape. Don't agree with coaching decisions? Vent on a message board or twitter. Don't like the moves or perceived inactivity of the GM? Vent on a message board or twitter. Don't like the Habs roster on June 28th months before the next season starts? Vent on a message board or twitter.

Everyone has the right to their opinions about the team they root for. To carelessly trash and moan and complain about the status of the team incessantly however is so indicative of the small-mindedness and immaturity of the instant gratification society we have become. FIRE THERRIEN. FIRE BERGEVIN. FIRE EVERYONE.

Yes, let us please keep starting from scratch every 2-3 years. Now there's a recipe for success..... :shakehead

Every season 29 clubs and their fan bases lament over what could have been and question what could be done differently. Fine. But the amount of so-called "fans" that want to tear everything down all the time speaks to the fickle approach many have when it comes to following sports.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Every season 29 clubs and their fan bases lament over what could have been and question what could be done differently. Fine. But the amount of so-called "fans" that want to tear everything down all the time speaks to the fickle approach many have when it comes to following sports.

I haven't seen one person suggest tearing everything down.

This isn't year one or two. It's the 4th summer. Bergevin has not improved the top 6 the slightest since his first season. That needs to change, there's no debate about it. I'm not talking about a crap player either like Briere or PAP, or Versteeg.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sadly, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us make this mistake...

Hopefully some other gm is willing to outbid us.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
That's part of the point. Everyone has "the answer". Problem is we as fans are really on the periphery. We like to think we can affect the team's fortunes but we really have little impact apart from discontinuing our support of the team financially. The most hilarious part of the social media era is that a twitter account somehow seems to legitimize a persons credibility and or perspective. People read a tweet about the Habs they don't agree with and people get bent out of shape. Don't agree with coaching decisions? Vent on a message board or twitter. Don't like the moves or perceived inactivity of the GM? Vent on a message board or twitter. Don't like the Habs roster on June 28th months before the next season starts? Vent on a message board or twitter.

Everyone has the right to their opinions about the team they root for. To carelessly trash and moan and complain about the status of the team incessantly however is so indicative of the small-mindedness and immaturity of the instant gratification society we have become. FIRE THERRIEN. FIRE BERGEVIN. FIRE EVERYONE.

Yes, let us please keep starting from scratch every 2-3 years. Now there's a recipe for success..... :shakehead

You do realize the management apologist like yourself are just as/if not more annoying than the people wanting to see change right?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Honestly 15% isn't that insane of a shooting %. DD shoots that.

DD isn't a volume shooter and scoring goals isn't his primary strength or job.

Belesky has no history of being a sniper and scoring goals is his entire value since he's of average size, doesn't pass, isn't great defensively and isn't a great possession player. Every year a players will get lucky shooting but regress back to their norm. He's a 15 goal, 25 point-ish guy that got minutes with Getzlaf and Perry.

That he shot at rates like Patrick Eaves, Deaharnais, Pirri and Bozak doesn't exactly instill me with confidence. If you're going to gamble on players with career high shooting years, there are cheaper options. Like Eaves.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, Beleskey is fine and all, but he doesn't really address any needs. I have no problem with him on the third line (or second from time to time) but he's nothing to write home about.

I'm a little puzzled by the Beleskey hate here, and I'm not sure how you could say that he doesn't address a need. Beleskey works hard and drives to the net with abandon and he's a pretty tenacious puck retriever which could compliment a line with players that maybe don't excel in that regard. That absolutely addresses a need in the top six. I think he'd be a solid addition to the second line and with Gallagher driving to the net one one line and Beleskey doing it on the other, it would change the dynamic of the top six in a positive way.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm a little puzzled by the Beleskey hate here, and I'm not sure how you could say that he doesn't address a need. Beleskey works hard and drives to the net with abandon and he's a pretty tenacious puck retriever which could compliment a line with players that maybe don't excel in that regard. That absolutely addresses a need in the top six. I think he'd be a solid addition to the second line and with Gallagher driving to the net one one line and Beleskey doing it on the other, it would change the dynamic of the top six in a positive way.

Most haven't seen him play. Just look at his career numbers and yell CLARKSON. He didn't even play a whole lot with Perry/Getzlaf. Where as Clarkson played the entire year with Kovalchuk/Parise.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Yes, i think it's the price tag that gets people grumpy.

But for sure, Beleskey would be a very good fit to the Habs and their style of play.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Most haven't seen him play. Just look at his career numbers and yell CLARKSON. He didn't even play a whole lot with Perry/Getzlaf. Where as Clarkson played the entire year with Kovalchuk/Parise.

I've seen him play and he's nothing special, definitely not special enough to warrant a 4.5m+ long term deal. Sure he's a fine player to have, he plays physical and seems to have found a scoring touch but he just doesn't bring enough to the table for that price tag.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I've seen him play and he's nothing special, definitely not special enough to warrant a 4.5m+ long term deal. Sure he's a fine player to have, he plays physical and seems to have found a scoring touch but he just doesn't bring enough to the table for that price tag.

I agree. I can't see us paying that much.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Anybody who watched the Ducks a little this winter know that Beleskey would be a solid addition.

He might get overpaid, he might get a tad long term. But overall, this guy is a grindy-goalscorer who will help a lot the habs or the team that will acquire him. I hope MB find a way to sign him

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
All the guys that are saying it would be awful to sign Matt Beleskey, know this:

Beleskey is so good that that the Anaheim Ducks made a healthy scratch out of future league MVP Jiri Sekac in order to dress Beleskey.

So yeah, there's that.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
All the guys that are saying it would be awful to sign Matt Beleskey, know this:

Beleskey is so good that that the Anaheim Ducks made a healthy scratch out of future league MVP Jiri Sekac in order to dress Beleskey.

So yeah, there's that.

Still doesn't mean he'd be a fit here.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Speaking of healthy scratches and Beleskey
Jan 14th, 2015
Beleskey is expected to be a healthy scratch tonight vs. Toronto.
This comes as a bit of a surprise considering Beleskey is leading the team in goals with 17, but his playing time has been diminishing as of late, so head coach Bruce Boudreau must want him to correct something. Tim Jackman will play with Beleskey out.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

So yeah, there's that.

What beleskey being an NHL player have anything to do with people not wanting him for 5 millions a year for the next 5 years?

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Isn't there some irony in that people say we are after Belresky and Sekac will get to play with the Ducks at least in part because Belesky was to rich for the Ducks? Murray is pretty shrewd we should be careful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad