Sportsnet: Kyper says Leafs have inquired on Berglund for Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Lol you are among the most bi polar posters on here.

You hate the Gauthier pick because we passed on higher potential players, and he's just a big bodied two-way player who wins puck battles.

But you hate Kadri because he's a higher potential player who isn't a two-way player who can win puck battles.

Never change Interactif, never change.

Berglund is not an improvement for this team. His plus/minus does not reflect his defensive acumen. That's just what happens when you play on an exceptionally defensive team. He's not even that physical for a player that is 6 foot 4 (which makes the suggestion that he's "harder to play against" quite laughable). He has less hits, less blocks, less takeaways, and less faceoffs wins (while being only marginally better at them) than Kadri. He's significantly worse offensively, and suggesting he's some strong defensive player is pushing it. He takes more penalties than he draws (he only took 5 less penalties than Kadri).

And the guy was -7 in 4 playoff games this year. MINUS SEVEN. He was awful in the playoffs. And saying his plus/minus in the season proves he's strong defensively is flawed. Kadri had a better plus/minus last season in less games, he must have been soo much better!

Oh and it gets better. Berglund actually had a high PDO, suggesting his numbers (including his high plus/minus) were the result of luck. That's great, a 32 point player probably didn't deserve to be that high! And some think he'd be an improvement on Kadri? In fact, while Berglund had better Corsi for percentages, Kadri had the better Corsi For Relative percentages (a better indicator of possession relative to the team). Meaning Kadri is actually the better possession player. Making the idea that Berglund would somehow improve our possession numbers a fallacy.

Did I mention that the guy had less assists than Kadri had primary assists (Kadri had 19 primary assists, and Berglund had only 18 total assists). Of those total assists, he had THIRTEEN secondary assists. Or that Berglund had higher offensive zone starts than Kadri?

No matter what the trade would result in, replacing Kadri in any way, shape or form with Berglund would not in any way be an improvement for this team.

Sorry Interactif, the stats don't support your desire to punt Kadri off this team for berglund.

Great post, Wookie.

Kadri for Berglund? I hate this trade, if that's what it is. Complete lose for us the second it happens, and it's not even close.

:shakehead

BB

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Worst season? He's only had one full season.

Also looking at Berglund's stats I find it no coincidence that they started to go down once Hitchcock became their coach in November of 2011. He strikes me as player who needs a change of scenery and opportunity(perhaps a different coach) to get the most out of him.

He has, and it was as good as Berglund's best.
The difference?
We have reason to believe Kadri could be more.

I'd rather hang on to the 23 year old than hope that a 26 year old might someday revert back to his 23 year old numbers.

There is no way any team does this deal. It just doesn't happen.

HonestHockey*

Seriously though. The Leafs are broke. Why not try something? If the game plan is to be harder to play against then why not. Sorry but Nazem's not hard to play against.

Do you think if Kadri was as good as this board thinks that he wouldn't be in these discussions?

HonestHockey*

He has, and it was as good as Berglund's best.
The difference?
We have reason to believe Kadri could be more.

I'd rather hang on to the 23 year old than hope that a 26 year old might someday revert back to his 23 year old numbers.

There is no way any team does this deal. It just doesn't happen.

Be more what? Wonder if LA would rather the 23 year old Carter or the more complete player Carter.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seriously though. The Leafs are broke. Why not try something? If the game plan is to be harder to play against then why not. Sorry but Nazem's not hard to play against.

Do you think if Kadri was as good as this board thinks that he wouldn't be in these discussions?

Gare Joyce who reports for Sportsnet says Kadri + Gardiner plus our 8th is not enough to get us the 1st overall pick this draft. This would seem to be enough to get Tallon to deal.

But If this is true, then GM's don't think highly of them either. We will see if this is true.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Gare Joyce who reports for Sportsnet says Kadri + Gardiner plus our 8th is not enough to get us the 1st overall pick this draft. This would seem to be enough to get Tallon to deal.

But If this is true, then GM's don't think highly of them either. We will see if this is true.

You mean one GM doesn't, and it's pretty ridiculous to think it's true, when Kadri would easily be his top scorer, Gardiner would be the second on defense with 2nd PP time, and both would fit in perfectly with their core.

HonestHockey*

I'm definitely convinced that GMs don't see these two as some Leafs fans do.

HonestHockey*

You mean one GM doesn't, and it's pretty ridiculous to think it's true, when Kadri would easily be his top scorer, Gardiner would be the second on defense with 2nd PP time, and both would fit in perfectly with their core.

Then its a done deal. Perfect.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Really? That same article also said JVR with Gardiner and the pick also wouldn't get it done. Seems other GM's don't think too highly of him either. Maybe if we packaged all 3 with the pick....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I was somewhat surprised also, and I am one of the Leafs posters that overrates Kadri and Garidner here. Thus It is interesting, to read other opinions of them that are even lower than mine.

Kadri package not enough to get No. 1

A brief survey of NHL execs suggests that the Florida Panthers might get off the No. 1 pick in the draft, but they won’t get off it for anything along the lines of a much-floated rumour out there: the Leafs’ No. 8 pick, plus defenceman Jake Gardiner and centre Nazem Kadri.

Said one senior exec: “I get the sense that [the No. 1 pick] is out there. [Pathers GM] Dale Tallon has all kinds of young players in the organization and wants to make the playoffs sooner rather than later. Still, Kadri in the package won’t get it done.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-draft/kadri-package-not-enough-to-get-no-1/

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

You're going to toss our #2 center after spending years to develop him just because you want to try something? Send Orr to the Marlies, that's something and you aren't making a terrible trade in the process.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Players on team's sites are always usually overrated. I consider myself realistic in my evaluations.

Kadri and Gardiner are talented but flawed young vets.

But the article says a senior exec does not see them being enough with our 8th to move up to #1.

Whatever the truth is, it is a rude awakening on how other teams view our players not named Bernier, Bozak, Kessel or Rielly.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I was somewhat surprised also, and I am one of the Leafs posters that overrates Kadri and Garidner here. Thus It is interesting, to read other opinions of them that are even lower than mine.

Kadri package not enough to get No. 1

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-draft/kadri-package-not-enough-to-get-no-1/

Give them Dion and the 8th for the 1st. Then trade Kessel back to his buddy Burke for the 4th overall and get whoever drops down form Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaltl and call it a day.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Players on team's sites are always usually overrated. I consider myself realistic in my evaluations.

But the article says a senior exec does not see them being enough with our 8th to move up to #1.

Whatever the truth is, it is a rude awakening on how other teams view our players not named Bernier, Bozak, Kessel or Rielly.

JVR?

I'd be confident in saying Gunnarsson is fairly well appreciated around the league as well.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Well I suppose that could be said for all of us. But thanks for sharing anyway. :)

HonestHockey*

You're going to toss our #2 center after spending years to develop him just because you want to try something? Send Orr to the Marlies, that's something and you aren't making a terrible trade in the process.

Did you watch 30 seconds of the Stanley Cup finals? It's tough sleddin out there. If you think our2 can play in that arena you are mistaken. Our 2 helps us miss the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

LOL. Do tell, which senior exec provided you with this gem. :sarcasm:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did you watch 30 seconds of the Stanley Cup finals? It's tough sleddin out there. If you think our2 can play in that arena you are mistaken. Our 2 helps us miss the playoffs.

The World Championship showed he still has a ways to go. Turris, Schenn, Huberdeau, Hodgson, Read, Schiefele, Ward, Mackinnon, Garrison, Ellis, Bieksa all outscored him. Even Rielly officially finished ahead of Naz in scoring. It's pretty disappointing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

So your solution is to trade him for a soft player who is not a center on his own team....Kadri is a pain in the ass to play against, as seen by just how many players he pisses off....he draws penalties among the best in the league as a result. He hits hard and a lot more frequent to the player you are suggesting to trade him for.

Do you have anything else to back up your opinion of this stupid trade?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The World Championship showed he still has a ways to go. Turris, Schenn, Huberdeau, Hodgson, Read, Schiefele, Ward, Mackinnon, Garrison, Ellis, Bieksa all outscored him. Even Rielly officially finished ahead of Naz in scoring. It's pretty disappointing.

Oh boy.....this has past all reasonable expectations of a hockey forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad