Sportsnet: Kyper says Leafs have inquired on Berglund for Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Nazem Kadri is a more valuable player than Patrik Berglund, but teams can sometimes improve their team with a lesser player who fits better. This may be one if those situations.

This is how I see it too.

He's obviously not as skilled as Kadri. But this doesn't mean he can't be a key cog.

I look at it like Riberio vs. Hanzal. Even though a guy like Hanzal isn't as skilled, I'd think my team would be better off having a guy like him locked in as our 3-C as opposed to Riberio as 2C.

Also for future outlook, if we ever landed a No1 C..... 1C - Bozak - Berglund works very nicely.

Although Berglund is still trying to put it together, just like Kadri. So he's no sure bet either.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He's obviously not as skilled as Kadri. But this doesn't mean he can't be a key cog.

I look at it like Riberio vs. Hanzal. Even though a guy like Hanzal isn't as skilled, I'd think my team would be better off having a guy like him locked in as our 3-C as opposed to Riberio as 2C.

Also for future outlook, if we ever landed a No1 C..... 1C - Bozak - Berglund works very nicely.

Although Berglund is still trying to put it together, just like Kadri. So he's no sure bet either.

My problem is we already have Berglund in the system: Gauthier. Even though Gauthier might still be a couple of years away, if we are trading Kadri it should be for something we don't have in the system. So (with Kadri) if we finish 8th last this year and (with Berglund) 10th last next year who cares. Why move up a few draft spots and still miss the playoffs. Even with Berglund we still have shoddy D and no first line center. It doesn't matter. Kadri out, Bolland out, Berglund in. We are hardly right there.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
My problem is we already have Berglund in the system: Gauthier. Even though Gauthier might still be a couple of years away, if we are trading Kadri it should be for something we don't have in the system. So (with Kadri) if we finish 8th last this year and (with Berglund) 10th last next year who cares. Why move up a few draft spots and still miss the playoffs. Even with Berglund we still have shoddy D and no first line center. It doesn't matter. Kadri out, Bolland out, Berglund in. We are hardly right there.

By the time Gauthier is ready to actually take Berglund's spot, Berglund will be in his 30s and it will all be part of the normal NHL roster shuffle.

Gauthier could very easily be 5-6 years away from being at Berglunds current level. He could easily be 3 years from NHL action and another 1-2 on top of that to be someone a coach can rely on.

I don't think the leafs should be sitting and waiting because there's a guy in our system that could potentially be our 3C 43-6 years down the road. He could just as easily become nothing.

Guys like Gauthier shouldn't be influencing the moves this team makes today. He's just too far away. Guys like Carrick, Granberg, Holland, D'amigo are knocking on the door and are at the point in their development where management has to take them into consideration. I can't imagine people around here would be happy if we passed up on a Kadri for young top 4 D because Matt Finn could be a top 4 D in 3-4 years.

DoubleDouble*

Points are just part of the measure of a player, hope most remember this. Like I said he can be Ribeiro 2.0, put up points and never win a cup. Some will like this, I prefer complete players that may put up less points but atleast win cups.

He is TWENTY THREE. Stop making presumptions on his entire career.

Also, Kadri is not a bad defensive player. Slightly below average, but most offensively gifted players are. Not everyone can be Steven Stamkos or Jon Toews.

DoubleDouble*

Also, Berglund doesn't suck...in fact I'd love to have him. But to me, he's a slight improvement on Kulemin. You do not trade Kadri for a player like that.

Corleone

Sep 25, 2006
Peterborough

Berglund had been in the league for 5.5 seasons, while Kadri has been in the NHL for 1.5. I think Berglund is much more established and isnt finding his way, he is what he is.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Berglund had been in the league for 5.5 seasons, while Kadri has been in the NHL for 1.5. I think Berglund is much more established and isnt finding his way, he is what he is.

I'm not saying I'd do Kadri for Berglund.

I'm saying he (Berglund) is more of a "known" quantity at this point. You know what you're getting with him for the most part. Sure he'll probably improve more, but you're looking at a 3C. I don't think there is any debating that.

Kadri is more of a wildcard. He's far from a "known". 5 years from now, we could easily be talking about "remember that time we almost moved Kadri for Berglund, man we should have done that".

I still think back to about 3 years ago when the Leafs nation flooded the Trade forum with TOR-STL proposals for Berglund (much the same way we've seen with Statsny/JVR/B.Ryan etc.) because he was the 'next Sundin'. Probably thankful we didn't sell the farm for a guy that didn't make it as a 1C....we could very easily think about Kadri in this same way 5 years from now....or not.

Basically, you can have a known quantity that fills an important role (Berglund)....or you can keep the riskier asset and hope they pan out to be better than the known asset you could have had.

I'm not advocating or protesting the thought of a Kadri/Berglund swap. I'm simply saying I understand that there are 2 different scenarios to consider and it could easily go either way.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Kyper is getting worse by the day. He spews out every rumor he hears, even the ones from janitors at the local movie theater. Guy is losing all credibility. How many days till the season starts?
Have you guys heard the one about Gardiner playing forward? :laugh:
Going to be a long off season.

The trade doesn't even make sense.
And now we have a new category of "young vet", what the hell is that? Complete oxymoron. Making up new categories just to slam Kadri. This is getting rather pathetic. Glad I put some on ignore.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kyper is getting worse by the day. He spews out every rumor he hears, even the ones from janitors at the local movie theater. Guy is losing all credibility. How many days till the season starts?
Have you guys heard the one about Gardiner playing forward? :laugh:

He's going down the Dreger path ... Up until last year and earlier this year, Kyper had some really good inside scoops .. But now he's just talking too much and throwing tons of **** to the wall

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
More big bodied Carlyle 3rd liners required.

Why not just trade for picks.

Kadri Gardiner JVR Kessel Lupul Dion (This is the only skill we have left)

Kules Berglund Clarkson
D'Amigo Bolland Ashton
Bodie Holland Leivo
Devanne Mc Smith

There you go what a beauty team.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

Kules Berglund Clarkson
D'Amigo Bolland Ashton
Bodie Holland Leivo
Devanne Mc Smith

:laugh: some here would love that lineup.
But you forgot the king of intangibles Bozak.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

Kules Berglund Clarkson
D'Amigo Bolland Ashton
Bodie Holland Leivo
Devanne Mc Smith

Yet again, you take a rumour...blow it out of proportion... turn it into something completely ridiculous...and then act like it's actually a legitimate example of management's thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad