Sportsnet: Kyper says Leafs have inquired on Berglund for Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
a 23 year old with one dimension to his game, his ppg is nothing special compared to other top players in his age group. Hes Mike Ribeiro when this team needs a Patrik Berglund. I'll take a 50 pt big strapping defensive responsible C any day.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Of course, why have a 23 year old with a PPG of .6 when you can have a 26 year old at a ppg of .5?

Oh and lets not pretend this guy is some defensive stalwart.

Kadri's played a lot less games and it's kind of inflated due to the half season.

He got 50 in 78 playing as a #2c this season, Which is good; But the way people are scoffing at a 6'4 centre who's cable of 50 points is a bit strange to me.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Look you make some strange choices, some are great but the ones you support often blow up in our faces.

The main problem is you routinely support taking asset loses for legit players selling low always.

To me your opinions mirror the decision of leafs management and are typically not good ones to say the least.

Bozak was fine for a bit there and I was happy. Big picture he is 28 at absolute peak value off a top performance year and good contract. We both know he is part B of the Kessel contract though so no moves will be made.

Clarkson is the only disappointment, Bernier and Bozak turned out fine.

As for the team having a bad defence, that was well before the New team came in.

You don't think the Komi buyout was warranted? And we both supported the Gleason deal for Liles so you can't say that one was bad.

Tyler Biggs*

Kadri has not hit his prime yet Leafs are dumb to try and trade him give him a few more years and he will be a star forward for the team.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Kadri's played a lot less games and it's kind of inflated due to the half season.

He got 50 in 78 playing as a #2c this season, Which is good; But the way people are scoffing at a 6'4 centre who's cable of 50 points is a bit strange to me.

So Kadri's stats are inflated and unreliable even though his worst offensive output is equal to Bergs best, but Berglund is a 50 pt capable player despite doing it once in what, seven seasons?

And I'm really struggling to see the defensive beast this guy apparently is?

It's a terrible deal for Toronto.

Last edited:

HonestHockey*

Email sent just waiting for the NHL to approve. Berglund has been notified I'll be picking him up after dropping Kadri. Both terminal 1.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
a 23 year old with one dimension to his game, his ppg is nothing special compared to other top players in his age group. Hes Mike Ribeiro when this team needs a Patrik Berglund. I'll take a 50 pt big strapping defensive responsible C any day.

I would too, but that's not Patrik Berglund, he's a 3rd line 30-40 point C. had 50 points ONCE and that was years ago. Very doubtful he hits that again with Clarkson and Lupul on his wings.

Kadri>Berglund and it's not even close, Kadri has shown he's getting better at faceoffs and will slowly get better defensively, his offensive game is miles ahead of berglund.

I wouldnt even remotely consider this trade.

HonestHockey*

I would too, but that's not Patrik Berglund, he's a 3rd line 30-40 point C. had 50 points ONCE and that was years ago. Very doubtful he hits that again with Clarkson and Lupul on his wings.

Kadri>Berglund and it's not even close, Kadri has shown he's getting better at faceoffs and will slowly get better defensively, his offensive game is miles ahead of berglund.

I wouldnt even remotely consider this trade.

Lupul and Clarkson!?!? Lupuls gone too. And Clarkson will play on Bollands line.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So Kadri's stats are inflated and unreliable even though his worst offensive output is equal to Bergs best, but Berglund is a 50 pt capable player despite doing it once in what, seven seasons?

And I'm really struggling to see the defensive beast this guy apparently is?

It's a terrible deal for Toronto.

Worst season? He's only had one full season.

Also looking at Berglund's stats I find it no coincidence that they started to go down once Hitchcock became their coach in November of 2011. He strikes me as player who needs a change of scenery and opportunity(perhaps a different coach) to get the most out of him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
436 gp vs 177 gp is massive difference in sample size IMO. Kadri's production once becoming a 2nd line centre when Grabovski was moved went down over 82 game season.

Also "irrational hate" is a bit strong, But the kid still got a lot of maturing to go both on and off the ice. Defensively he's still not great and his skating still needs work which for a forward who's only 5'11 isn't fantastic either.

It's obvious he's talented, But there's still work to be done with him.

That's the point. Kadri is just getting started. There's no guarantee he will ever be much better than he is now. But there is no reason that I can think of to say than he's not capable of being much better than he is now.

If Kadri gets to 26 with 400+ GP and is no better then he is now, then we can trade him for a Berglund. Pulling the trigger on this trade now is basically saying that Kadri will never get any better than he is now and there is just no way that anyone can be certain of this.

At best, this could end up as a very small win for the Leafs. At worst, it could end up as an enormous loss.

HonestHockey*

That's the point. Kadri is just getting started. There's no guarantee he will ever be much better than he is now. But there is no reason that I can think of to say than he's not capable of being much better than he is now.

If Kadri gets to 26 with 400+ GP and is no better then he is now, then we can trade him for a Berglund. Pulling the trigger on this trade now is basically saying that Kadri will never get any better than he is now and there is just no way that anyone can be certain of this.

At best, this could end up as a very small win for the Leafs. At worst, it could end up as an enormous loss.

Who would want him then? Trade him before he's Matt Stajan.

HonestHockey*

So you think Kadri is on his way to becoming Matt Stajan. Well OK then. :laugh:

What makes you believe that Kadri stops making the same mistakes he's made since day one? Don't hang on to long like we did with Stajan.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What makes you believe that Kadri stops making the same mistakes he's made since day one? Don't hang on to long like we did with Stajan.

You're really going to be ignorant to the concept that he might learn from experience?

Stajan never had the ability to control a game like Kadri has shown he can do ... Brutal comparison

And, since we're playing this game, maybe we shouldn't sell low on Kadri like we did with Steen

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Do you honestly think anyone in the Hockey world respects Kypreos enough to give him inside information? He's just trying to remain relevant by throwing baseless rumors out there hoping something sticks, knowing any headline involving a Leaf will garner attention.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Do you honestly think anyone in the Hockey world respects Kypreos enough to give him inside information? He's just trying to remain relevant by throwing baseless rumors out there hoping something sticks, knowing any headline involving a Leaf will garner attention.

Kyper has actually been fairly reliable in recent memory, though now it seems like he's throwing a lot more out there than he usually does .. Could be going down the Dreger path..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You're really going to be ignorant to the concept that he might learn from experience?

Stajan never had the ability to control a game like Kadri has shown he can do ... Brutal comparison

And, since we're playing this game, maybe we shouldn't sell low on Kadri like we did with Steen

Haha yeah you beat me to it. Maybe Kadri is the next Stajan. But maybe he's the next Steen. So let's trade him for a guy 3 years older who is pretty much guaranteed to never be much better then he is right now. Now there's a plan. :laugh:

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Haha yeah you beat me to it. Maybe Kadri is the next Stajan. But maybe he's the next Steen. So let's trade him for a guy 3 years older who is pretty much guaranteed to never be much better then he is right now. Now there's a plan. :laugh:

good thing someone is speaking sense at least.

i'm not inherently opposed to trading kadri. But i find it difficult to envision a scenario where we win that trade

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This is too dumb to be true right?
If St Louis actually got this offer they'd make it right away and the deal would have been done yesterday...
If this deal were actually made then we're all doomed for being fans of such terrible management...

No, it's simply too stupid to be true.
Yes ... that's right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad