Rumor: Kyper: Dermott and Holl available for a trade

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Totally fair, I said as much that he'd at most be a completementary piece. Those other guys would be pure throw ins and not effect the draft pick, whereas Sanford with retention probably would - say, as the difference between returning OTT 3rd vs BOS 3rd. But that's the extent of it.
ot sure your prospect situation outside of the big guys like Sanderson, Boucher, etc.. but maybe a Sokolov

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I saw that, but you're excluding over half your roster and making mostly depth defensemen and picks available.

The Leafs are likely looking for more of a Bear for Foegle trade, rather than just trying to liquidate Holl/Dermott.
Fair enough, but if that's the case then Ottawa almost certainly wouldn't be able to meet the ask. I just thought there might be interest in adding a draft pick or two to use as ammo at the deadline.

Personally, I would happily do TB 2nd + a depth player or 5th rounder, but we simply aren't the team who could offer up a legit top 9 fwd for him. If that's a deal-breaker, totally understandable. Just wanted input from Leafs fans.
ot sure your prospect situation outside of the big guys like Sanderson, Boucher, etc.. but maybe a Sokolov
Doubtful they would move Sokolov. He's a fan favourite and loved by all our coaches. We are also really lacking at RW. I understand there is a lot "off the table", but I think I am being realistic as to how Dorion would approach such a trade. He's said publically they won't move any top prospects unless its for a game-changer and they definitely consider Sokolov part of that group.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I saw that, but you're excluding over half your roster and making mostly depth defensemen and picks available.

The Leafs are likely looking for more of a Bear for Foegle trade, rather than just trying to liquidate Holl/Dermott.

I think the Leafs missed out on Foegle. Holl coming off a better season than Bear. They were looking for a RHD. Seemed like it could've been a better trade for Carolina at the time.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think the Leafs missed out on Foegle. Holl coming off a better season than Bear. They were looking for a RHD. Seemed like it could've been a better trade for Carolina at the time.
How could it be considered a miss if they didn't know how Sandin and Liljegren would play in full time minutes?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Kypreos is suspect at best as an insider

Kypreos' sources are player agents. They should be considered second hand sources and possible liars but they're better than some good guesser writing a blog in his basement. Player agents aren't completely out of the loop.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
How could it be considered a miss if they didn't know how Sandin and Liljegren would play in full time minutes?

Well there would obviously have to be more moves. Sandin was pretty much on the team. And they could've been able to get a Bogosian type guy to fill Holl's spot.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not that I trust a Kypreos rumor, but unless a roster forward with some top-6 potential is coming back I have no interest in trading Derms. Kravtsov comes to mind, but there would need to be a decently significant add from the Rags.

Holl I hate, but even then you need to get a #7 replacement + at least a 3rd unless you truely think Rubins is good enough.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
From Sportsnet:
"(The) price for one of these expendable right-side defenders would be an upper-mid-round draft pick ... The cap-tight Leafs have little to no flexibility to take on a salaried player in return, they are short on picks as is (just three in 2022), and Dubas must clear money for both the short- and long-term future.

In about four weeks, Ilya Mikheyev (broken thumb) and his $1.645-million cap hit will need to slide off long-term injury reserve and onto a roster currently toting less than $1 million in cap space."

As a cap space-clearing move certainly makes more sense, but I wonder how many late nights Dubas and his team have spent trying to find any angle to help them manage their lack of cap room, and the inevitable result always seems to be moving players that inevitably makes the team worse.

Reactions: geo25 and tmlfan98

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
From Sportsnet:
"(The) price for one of these expendable right-side defenders would be an upper-mid-round draft pick ... The cap-tight Leafs have little to no flexibility to take on a salaried player in return, they are short on picks as is (just three in 2022), and Dubas must clear money for both the short- and long-term future.

In about four weeks, Ilya Mikheyev (broken thumb) and his $1.645-million cap hit will need to slide off long-term injury reserve and onto a roster currently toting less than $1 million in cap space."

As a cap space-clearing move certainly makes more sense, but I wonder how many late nights Dubas and his team have spent trying to find any angle to help them manage their lack of cap room, and the inevitable result always seems to be moving players that inevitably makes the team worse.

Means that Liljergren is here to stay. I hope it’s Dermott who goes instead of Holl.

Reactions: The Iceman

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Liljegren's been ready. What does this have to do with Dubas?

Weird how like so many posters can't contain themselves and must have Dubas living rent free in their head 24/7 because he's not failing.

What would failing look like?

What if the team had a ridiculously easy schedule and still sat outside the playoffs? What if they also had the most games played in the division? Would that be failing?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
deflect all you want

I think the point here, is that most posters are engaged to discuss the Leafs, their players, and potential moves. Where a poster seems to have a vested interest in immature name calling of specific individuals on the Leafs, it's going to get called out, as @kb has done.

Reactions: kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What would failing look like?

What if the team had a ridiculously easy schedule and still sat outside the playoffs? What if they also had the most games played in the division? Would that be failing?

At 10 games into an 82 game regular season, those who are getting too excited, or too down, are short-sighted. Failing is not making the playoffs or losing in the first round. At this point, we have not been eliminated from the playoffs, and have 72 games left to qualify. Failing would be posters massively over reacting to every bad event, every loss...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sorry, I don’t understand what you are saying here.

Doesn’t any trade get done because the accepting GM likes one offer more than the other?

Based on team need, GMs are prepared to offer more if they are in deeper need, so yeah to get a trade done, if Dubas or any GM has greater need, he offers more to get it done.

Not exactly rocket science here…..

The point is Dubas liked Weegar and McCann more than any other GM in the league, and was the high bidder for both.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
At 10 games into an 82 game regular season, those who are getting too excited, or too down, are short-sighted. Failing is not making the playoffs or losing in the first round. At this point, we have not been eliminated from the playoffs, and have 72 games left to qualify. Failing would be posters massively over reacting to every bad event, every loss...

Yes, there is lots of road left, but that doesn’t mean the team hasn’t looked like trash in 9 of the 10 games. They played really well against Vegas, but that’s an aberration at this point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well there would obviously have to be more moves. Sandin was pretty much on the team. And they could've been able to get a Bogosian type guy to fill Holl's spot.

The number of guys who were available, who could have filled that type of roll was pretty small. RD, under $2 mil, physical...... It's basically Gudbranson, Schenn, Hakanpaa... I'm fairly confident that Gudbranson and Schenn are significant down grades, leaving just Hakanpaa.... so you are willing to let a RD go, for the hopes that you can sign the singular RD that fits your needs, that is available? I mean really>?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, there is lots of road left, but that doesn’t mean the team hasn’t looked like trash in 9 of the 10 games. They played really well against Vegas, but that’s an aberration at this point.

Trash 9 of 10 games? Clearly you haven't watched the games, and have disqualified yourself from further comments. Watch the games, and have some patience.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone who says to move Holl or Dermott for a pick needs to learn the basics about team building and hockey, plus injuries.
Seems to be a disconnect somewhere. Everything we see and hear says they are looking for a pick to clear space for Mikheyev. Weird.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
The number of guys who were available, who could have filled that type of roll was pretty small. RD, under $2 mil, physical...... It's basically Gudbranson, Schenn, Hakanpaa... I'm fairly confident that Gudbranson and Schenn are significant down grades, leaving just Hakanpaa.... so you are willing to let a RD go, for the hopes that you can sign the singular RD that fits your needs, that is available? I mean really>?

Could've made it Liljegren's spot then. Wouldn't need to be a physical player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad