Rumor: Kyper: Dermott and Holl available for a trade

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Is there any LW around the league that is available, signed through at least next yr at less than 2.5m, and can be an offensive contributor to the bottom 6?

Bonus if the player is physical and/or can play C if needed.

Not a lot of options I'm sure... but that's the ideal player I'd imagine Dubas is looking for... Basically another Bunting or what it was hoped that Ritchie would be.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think if they move one the Leafs better hope there's no injuries on the blueline.

I get that if Dubas feels he has a surplus and wants to give that 7th d-man a chance to play elsewhere, but don't do so at the risk of handicapping your own team during a(nother) critical season for this group.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Holl won't get much but a late round pick so I don't think it is anything more than CAP relief on that front so Mik can come back ..
Dermy will get something decent like a D ELC and a 2nd rounder because another team does not have to spend 4 years of NHL development time on him and he could be a 3rd/4th wheel

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think if they move one the Leafs better hope there's no injuries on the blueline.

I get that if Dubas feels he has a surplus and wants to give that 7th d-man a chance to play elsewhere, but don't do so at the risk of handicapping your own team during a(nother) critical season for this group.

We're going to accrue cap space and have room to bring in a better D at the deadline if we need to.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Hence why I'm not super keen to move Holl (or Dermott) despite being a big fan of Liljegren. However, if this is true then it appears Dubas and co. have a lot of faith in Rubins (and possibly Menell?) to be able to fill in on the bottom pair for any injuries.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hence why I'm not super keen to move Holl (or Dermott) despite being a big fan of Liljegren. However, if this is true then it appears Dubas and co. have a lot of faith in Rubins (and possibly Menell?) to be able to fill in on the bottom pair for any injuries.

If it happens I'd want a cheap steady 7 coming back, but maybe someone that pressbox time isn't a "waste" for. Expiring depth vet.

Not sold on the idea unless it's part of a chain of moves or something more complex

edit example - Ritchie + Dermott for Cousins+Benning + LA 3rd

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Also a real chance that some media pundits just ran with this story since Holl has been healthy scratched for a few games.

A little reactionary to be looking to move Holl after 10 games when management had him penciled in as part of our shutdown pairing. However, most fans would agree that Muzzin carried that pairing the majority of the time (except the first 20 games of the season last year).

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If it happens I'd want a cheap steady 7 coming back, but maybe someone that pressbox time isn't a "waste" for. Expiring depth vet.

Not sold on the idea unless it's part of a chain of moves or something more complex

Or you can wait until the deadline/an injury to do that... you can always trade for a fill-in if needed and/or get somebody on the cheap like we did with Hutton last year. No need to spend 750k on a guy to sit in the pressbox.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Or you can wait until the deadline/an injury to do that... you can always trade for a fill-in if needed and/or get somebody on the cheap like we did with Hutton last year. No need to spend 750k on a guy to sit in the pressbox.

Exactly this.

Absolutely no reason to try and fix your depth Dmen by..... trading depth Dmen (???) at this stage of the season.

This reeks of "Oh, Holl's been out of the lineup for a few games, let's talk nonsense".

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

The very reason I'm not fully onboard is that said 7 (or Dermott) or whoever is next man up after our top 6 is likely to get 30-35 games. Unless it's Menell/Rubins that they're talking about making room for (which is risky) that's opening up a big hole in our depth for no reason.

Reasons to do it:
Trim cap
Add young assets
Free up playing time for younger players

Reasons not to it:
Hurts depth, have to spend young assets to fix later

Reactions: Community and kb

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Adding a forward without waiver eligibility is a tough fit.
You’d think that keeping a vet D yo insulate Sandin/Liljegren would be smart, but maybe the FO really means they’re ready to give these guys a chance?
Also, this is a good reminder that Lili’s bonus structure was a big factor last year. It gets lost in the shuffle, but it’s a real factor.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I understand the whole McCann thing even less now. And I didn't think that was possible.
Leaving a middle 6 replaceable forward available while keeping your D?

Conceptually it's not hard. At the end of the day, Seattle had their choice (not the Leafs choice) of Kerfoot, McCann, and Dermott.

Seattle chose McCann. Every team loses a player - every single one. Odds are it will either be the teams 5th best forward, or their 4th best D, or their #2 G.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Makes no sense to me, our D depth is pretty poor with only Biega in the minors who's remotely capable of coming up and playing at something of an NHL level. We have 7 NHL Dmen, 8 if you include Biega, you're really streatching it if you include guys like Kral and Rubins.

We've had really good luck the last couple season with D health but at some point we are going to have some injuries on the back end, every team needs at least 8 guys. In the past we had Sandin/Lily in the minors who could have come up if we needed them giving us the needed 8-9 players of depth, we were just very lucky not to need it.

The only way it makes sense is if you think teams around the league really value Holl and will give you back a capable depth dman plus picks/prospects. For the Leafs that would be a swap of 7th dmen while picking up some assets and cap space. Teams would have to value Holl as a legitimate top 4 guy for that to work though, and the Leafs would have to feel Holl is no longer that in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad