Rumor: Kyper: Dermott and Holl available for a trade

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The relieve the impending roster crunch when Mikky comes back, the bewt trade would likely be a 1D + 2F for 1F package deal. Perhaps looking at a more expensive forward sOMEhere that might be an impending UFA.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Makes no sense to me, our D depth is pretty poor with only Biega in the minors who's remotely capable of coming up and playing at something of an NHL level. We have 7 NHL Dmen, 8 if you include Biega, you're really streatching it if you include guys like Kral and Rubins.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Rubins, and there's a decent chance he's ready, too.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think if they move one the Leafs better hope there's no injuries on the blueline.

I get that if Dubas feels he has a surplus and wants to give that 7th d-man a chance to play elsewhere, but don't do so at the risk of handicapping your own team during a(nother) critical season for this group.

If injuries add up in the d-core getting a #6 defenseman doesn't cost a whole lot. I would imagine (like Hutton) a 5th round pick could take care of it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Also a real chance that some media pundits just ran with this story since Holl has been healthy scratched for a few games.

A little reactionary to be looking to move Holl after 10 games when management had him penciled in as part of our shutdown pairing. However, most fans would agree that Muzzin carried that pairing the majority of the time (except the first 20 games of the season last year).

Holl dropping from top four to healthy scratch isn't insignificant though. Dermott is playing in more games now but isn't really playing all that much in terms of minutes per game. Rubins has been recalled from the Marlies. I can see how this all adds up to...something.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Leaving a middle 6 replaceable forward available while keeping your D?

Conceptually it's not hard. At the end of the day, Seattle had their choice (not the Leafs choice) of Kerfoot, McCann, and Dermott.

Seattle chose McCann. Every team loses a player - every single one. Odds are it will either be the teams 5th best forward, or their 4th best D, or their #2 G.

Hope this helps clear things up.
No, it doesn't clear things up.

Kerfoot off the team is a net benefit. And Dermott I wouldn't have cared about either.

I personally would rather have McCann's 7 points in 8 games than any of Kerfoot, Dermott, or Holl.

Like I said, it made absolutely no sense at the time and it still doesn't.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I understand the whole McCann thing even less now. And I didn't think that was possible.

That, and the whole Dermott and Johnsson for Weegar thing are 2 scenarios I sure would like to revisit because it looks like we are going to come out of both scenarios on the wrong side.

not every trade needs to be blockbuster or a decisive win for Dubas but losing in scenarios like these add up ……

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Kerfoot off the team is a net benefit. And Dermott I wouldn't have cared about either.

I personally would rather have McCann's 7 points in 8 games than any of Kerfoot, Dermott, or Holl.

It's because because McCann is playing more and higher up the lineup than he ever would have here.

Now check his defensive stats.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That, and the whole Dermott and Johnsson for Weegar thing are 2 scenarios I sure would like to revisit because it looks like we are going to come out of both scenarios on the wrong side.

not every trade needs to be blockbuster or a decisive win for Dubas but losing in scenarios like these add up ……

It's funny because you are actually criticizing Dubas for being the highest bidder for both McCann and Weegar. No GM offered more for them than Dubas did.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009

The Weegar trade was the other way around I believe.....Fla said no.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm choosing not to believe these rumors - nothing comes out of that Leafs camp, they are so tight lipped.

Why would they be moving off of a decent Dman or two? You don't just blow a hole in your depth, just because 1 or 2 guys aren't getting the ice time you expected them to get.

Because as a GM you have to sometimes let go of players in order to fill the greater needs of the team. For example Bunting, Kerfoot, and Ritchie are not exactly your ideal Left wing depth for a contending team. You can't tell me that Mikheyev's return will fix all that.

Reactions: geo25

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dubas' goal at the expansion draft was to protect both Holl and Kerfoot.

If he didn't care about Kerfoot - he could have just protected his 4-4-2 without acquring McCann.

He acquired McCann as a protection plan for Kerfoot - and it sounded like they wanted to protect Holl no matter what.

I've believed the whole time that McCann is superior to both Holl and Kerfoot - and I was very irked when the expansion draft played out the way it did.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dubas' goal at the expansion draft was to protect both Holl and Kerfoot.

If he didn't care about Kerfoot - he could have just protected his 4-4-2 without acquring McCann.

He acquired McCann as a protection plan for Kerfoot - and it sounded like they wanted to protect Holl no matter what.

I've believed the whole time that McCann is superior to both Holl and Kerfoot - and I was very irked when the expansion draft played out the way it did.

You weren't the only one.

But Dubas doesn't strike me as someone who makes knee-jerk reactions. Always thinking in the long term. If he wanted to protect Holl at the expansion draft just a few months ago, he's not going to all of a sudden change his mind and trade him now.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Call me crazy, but I prefer Kerfoot's 6pts in 7 playoff games over McCann's 7 points in 8 regular season games.

Could McCann be better this year? For sure, but Kerfoot just came off of a series where he raised his game significantly. McCann's most recent playoff series resulted in 1pt in 6 games. So I'm not going to say I prefer McCann because he had a good offensive start to the season.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
"I've got my poorest performing defensemen up for trade. I'm looking for a forward with no performance issues in return."

Classic dealing from a place of weakness scenario. Number 1, let's make sure Liljegren's recent commendable play (2 games) continues on more permanently and against better opponents. Secondly, the team needs a 7th defenseman. Is there one at the moment? Thirdly, it's the first 10 games of the NHL season which are notoriously the easiest 10 games of the season and often a place where pretenders look like keepers.

IMO, stand pat for the sake of the future months. The Leafs' defense isn't a place of excessive bodies in 2021-22. Maybe later, even in the season, but this is a place to be too clever for your own good.

Reactions: Obo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad