Confirmed with Link: Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
so far, both are invisible. this has been a bad trade, and pray that Lou does not intend to resign either one. we need to be faster, younger, and more skillful.

I think this is true and part of the problem when the team struggles. There are guys who can use their speed to provide pressure and cause problems, but just a few of them (Beauvillier, Barzal, Pageau) and if they aren't always skating as hard as possible things start to fall apart a bit.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I can't see them extending Palmeri based on what we've seen so far, especially for what his asking price will probably be, based on his age.

Zajac seems to be a Trotz type of guy, If he was willing to take a team friendly deal, I could see it happening. If not, they'll let him walk

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Whats Palmieri worth at this point? He has been a 25 goal...50ish point guy. He is awful this year and the flat cap can't help..

Before Covid he probably was looking at an Eberle type contract? Now?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I can't see them extending Palmeri based on what we've seen so far, especially for what his asking price will probably be, based on his age.

Zajac seems to be a Trotz type of guy, If he was willing to take a team friendly deal, I could see it happening. If not, they'll let him walk

He's shown nothing to warrant penciling him in as 4th line Center if Cizikas walks. Otherwise, he's a 13th forward, #5C who can win some faceoffs but can't play wing.

That's a luxury a cap strapped team can't afford unless he were to sign for the league minimum.

If Jersey or another team offers him a chance to be a regular, I can't see him staying.

Subject to change based on the playoffs but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Regarding this deal, I just felt it wasn't the right time for the Islanders to make this deal. My feeling is their window(s) contrary to most is when Barzal / Beau / Whalstrom / Dobson / Sorokin come of age in a few years and the low cost talent (i.e 1st & 2nd rounders) start to fill the voids sprinkled
with some Pageau's & other veterans. Lou will be 79 in October and from my view point is rushing the process for obvious reasons. If this doesn't pan out this year , it will be a huge miss and big mistake. I still felt if the move was to be made, Hall was the target and I'm not saying he would have made
more of a difference but it was a player that checked a few more boxes.

Reactions: beach

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Regarding this deal, I just felt it wasn't the right time for the Islanders to make this deal. My feeling is their window(s) contrary to most is when Barzal / Beau / Whalstrom / Dobson / Sorokin come of age in a few years and the low cost talent (i.e 1st & 2nd rounders) start to fill the voids sprinkled
with some Pageau's & other veterans. Lou will be 79 in October and from my view point is rushing the process for obvious reasons. If this doesn't pan out this year , it will be a huge miss and big mistake. I still felt if the move was to be made, Hall was the target and I'm not saying he would have made
Opening a new arena in the fall has nothing to do with it...

There's enough out there that Hall directed his trade partner to be BOS - that's it.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I am not concerned. He has shown flashes. It takes time to adjust to a new team.

Hopefully come playoffs he takes it to another gear.

Reactions: JoeM

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good ideas here, a late first rd pick is not worth as much to the Isles who's window is short, and perhaps now. Then a team rebuilding that can afford to wait for a first rd pick to develop. If you look at Dobson and Wally, they were 2018 picks that were high picks. It has taken them 3 years to get to this point. That's a timeline, that does not fit the Isles timeline with this core.

I also don't think Lou's age matters, he is not going to be a GM that you want with a tear down and rebuild. I believe this if he was 39, 49, 59, or 69. He is a GM that is better on a contender, closer to a finished product.

The Isles made their stand with Palmieri and Zajac. How they play in the playoffs will either justify this trade or pan it. If it gives the Isles the edge to win rd 1, and a shot to win rd 2. I will say it is worth it. I would hope the winner of the East plays the North winner. If this is the case, I think there is a clear pathway to the Cup finals. The North winner has been playing watered down weak teams all year and they would be no match for the East winner where it has been a playoff game all season against good tough teams.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I am not concerned. He has shown flashes. It takes time to adjust to a new team.

Hopefully come playoffs he takes it to another gear.
Yeah, but with potentially 6 games left, he doesn't have much time to prove he belongs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know the team wasn't trending great before the trade but this trade seemingly did not help things in the least.
It certainly didn't spark the players on our team who already went cold.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Good ideas here, a late first rd pick is not worth as much to the Isles who's window is short, and perhaps now. Then a team rebuilding that can afford to wait for a first rd pick to develop. If you look at Dobson and Wally, they were 2018 picks that were high picks. It has taken them 3 years to get to this point. That's a timeline, that does not fit the Isles timeline with this core.

I also don't think Lou's age matters, he is not going to be a GM that you want with a tear down and rebuild. I believe this if he was 39, 49, 59, or 69. He is a GM that is better on a contender, closer to a finished product.

The Isles made their stand with Palmieri and Zajac. How they play in the playoffs will either justify this trade or pan it. If it gives the Isles the edge to win rd 1, and a shot to win rd 2. I will say it is worth it. I would hope the winner of the East plays the North winner. If this is the case, I think there is a clear pathway to the Cup finals. The North winner has been playing watered down weak teams all year and they would be no match for the East winner where it has been a playoff game all season against good tough teams.

If you feel the time is now, then a first rounder means nothing if it can be used to fill that pc that is missing (Aka Goring when the Isles were really good but could not win in the playoffs) but I dont think this team is as good as we think it is and with their cap over the next few years , there is not enough
space to bring that special player. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that the North is watered down, Toronto is good, Montreal is better , Wpg & Edm are also good. Unfortunately, as much as I dont want to say it, I think the team will exit in the first round. I think the expectations have grown based on last years playoff performance but their star player hasn't (Barzal) and with Lee and his net front presence gone, thats a lot to over come

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No doubt Palmieri's best game tonight. Not only because he scored. But I want to make this point. Looks like someone, or maybe Palmieri himself may have told him what his ID is on this team. He was finally hard to play against tonight, this is what he can be on the JGP line. He needs to get his nose dirty, make life miserable for Goalies, and maybe chip in with the greasy goal. Excellent game tonight, keep it up. This is his role on the team. He may have found it tonight.

Reactions: JKP and mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
No doubt Palmieri's best game tonight. Not only because he scored. But I want to make this point. Looks like someone, or maybe Palmieri himself may have told him what his ID is on this team. He was finally hard to play against tonight, this is what he can be on the JGP line. He needs to get his nose dirty, make life miserable for Goalies, and maybe chip in with the greasy goal. Excellent game tonight, keep it up. This is his role on the team. He may have found it tonight.

time to start growing the beard. LGI!

Reactions: danteipp

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Quick Question: Did Wally play on the left side and KP on the right last night? Thoughts on if all on the same line are righties. Does it matter???

Thanks
They could have hands for feet for all I care

as long as they work on the ice that’s all that matters

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Hopefully KP and Zajac continue to get comfortable, save the best for last and go on a run in the playoffs. Do that and I don't care about the early struggles.

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad