Confirmed with Link: Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Forgot about that - Pageau had the same deal. But Wahlstrom only played 11 minutes as well. Hope those guys can get to a point where Barry trusts them, because they're two of our best offensive players

The fact that the other two lines were buzzing didn't do them any favors in the time on ice department either, but yeah, I hope they get some more minutes when necessary.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The fact that the other two lines were buzzing didn't do them any favors in the time on ice department either, but yeah, I hope they get some more minutes when necessary.
Especially when one of those lines had a forward looking for a hat trick in the 3rd period.

Reactions: CPFC

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Did people already forget last season when Cizikas got hurt and our bottom 2 centers for a long stretch became Derick Brassard and Leo Komarov, both playing out of position? With nobody good enough to call up from the AHL?

In the grind of the playoffs you’ll appreciate having a veteran center to fill in for a few games if necessary.

I have not forgotten. I still have nightmares of "big-game Brass" running around the ice, like a chicken with his head cut off, botching plays and offensive opportunities because he drew an extra man and defensive coverage to the area. He is like a WR who runs the wrong route to the wrong spot and botches up everything.

Reactions: Seph and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I have not forgotten. I still have nightmares of "big-game Brass" running around the ice, like a chicken with his head cut off, botching plays and offensive opportunities because he drew an extra man and defensive coverage to the area. He is like a WR who runs the wrong route to the wrong spot and botches up everything.
Brassard was a weird case for us. He is a natural center who was moved to Brock Nelson's wing after two or three weeks into the season and started scoring. Then the injuries hit and Brass was moved back to center and he dried up. He wasn't moved back to wing until we traded for JGP and he started getting some points again in the bubble.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The difference being Hall and Palmieri fit an actual need for the team, being a (theoretical) scoring winger

Zajac doesn’t fill any open holes on the team unless Czizikas gets hurt

Fair enough, but seems like a moot point considering Zajac isn't being shoehorned into the lineup anymore. This will just become a Monday Morning QB debate as if all our centers, or the entire lineup for that matter, survives the playoffs never being hurt and Zajac becomes completely useless, and Palmeiri doesn't score his fair share of points, then I guess the prognisticators will win their argument.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Brassard was a weird case for us. He is a natural center who was moved to Brock Nelson's wing after two or three weeks into the season and started scoring. Then the injuries hit and Brass was moved back to center and he dried up. He wasn't moved back to wing until we traded for JGP and he started getting some points again in the bubble.
You know who else he reminded me of that same thing? Grabovski...guy always seemed to cut the wrong way or make the wrong decision and end up running into to teammates, or causing log jams, or forcing the play offside.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Palmieri and Zajac have combined for a whopping ONE 5v5 goal at this point. ONE. They are 3 scoreless games from the same exact rate as MDC. At least One of these dudes needs to turn it around and quick or else this will go down as one of the worst trades of Lou’s career

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Palmieri and Zajac have combined for a whopping ONE 5v5 goal at this point. ONE. They are 3 scoreless games from the same exact rate as MDC. At least One of these dudes needs to turn it around and quick or else this will go down as one of the worst trades of Lou’s career
I reeeeeaaallllyyy hope Palmieri has another level for the playoffs. If he doesn’t then this will be really bad

Shoulda gotten Hall

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Zajac and Palmieri can restore balance to this trade by what they do in the playoffs. The Isles were in the playoffs regardless of these 2, I think this trade will be measured by how they play in the playoffs. They've been largely invisible after the trade. But I would not be surprised they show up in the playoffs. This reminds me of the Plekanec deal Lou pulled off at the deadline. He was invisible until the playoffs where he was actually one of the better players in the playoffs.

Reactions: JoeM and Seph

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Indeed, like a lot of you guys, I keep telling myself to be patient and that they're here for the playoffs. That's where they need to make their mark.

This said, we've all watched them for a dozen games now. Zajac is what he is and that's fine in light of his ability to fill in for a center who may miss time. Granted, the face-off proficiency in last night's 3rd period wasn't up to par. He's not scoring, so he's gotta be above-average in something like a face-off capacity.

But Palmieri...

This guy is a below-average skater who is easily taken out of the play physically, be it in open ice or along the boards. He loses the puck almost every time he has it on his stick for more than 3 seconds and he's not a puck-carrier in his nature, so he's hardly adding any shaking-and-baking to the equation.

I always had the strong impression that he was a true second degree sniper in this league with a real nose for the corners and the ability to hit them. We have seen NOTHING of the sort.

Unless he's got a whole other level that he has just failed to put on display due to.... lingering effects of his injury earlier this season(?)... I do not see a player capable of picking up the pace and contributing in the playoffs.

I just do not see it.

Something tells me that those 17 points in 35 games were no fluke and not because he was "playing for the lowly Devils".

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Palmieri's career numbers in playoffs are actually considerably worse than in regular season. In his only deep run with Anaheim in 2015 he got 1 goal, 3 assists in 16 games. If you expect him to somehow elevate his game in post-season, prepare for disappointment.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Palmieri's career numbers in playoffs are actually considerably worse than in regular season. In his only deep run with Anaheim in 2015 he got 1 goal, 3 assists in 16 games. If you expect him to somehow elevate his game in post-season, prepare for disappointment.
Barring something unforeseen, Fitzgerald bent Lou over a barrel

Reactions: MikeyMike01

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
Watching Palmeri highlights

it looks like he needs time and space to get his wrister off (like most Isles players) or he is good in front of the net

that is where most of his goals seem to come from.

They should try him down low on the powerplay that shoots a lot like Wally's pp line

Barzal's powerplay passes way too much to find the perfect shot

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Watching Palmeri highlights

it looks like he needs time and space to get his wrister off (like most Isles players) or he is good in front of the net

that is where most of his goals seem to come from.

They should try him down low on the powerplay that shoots a lot like Wally's pp line

Barzal's powerplay passes way too much to find the perfect shot
And it is exactly with the unit of Wahlstrom that Palmieri evolves on the PP. From what I've noticed in recent games, our units look like this:

PP1: Leddy, Wahlstrom, Bailey, Palmieri, Nelson
PP2: Dobson, Eberle, Barzal, Beauvillier, Pageau

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Damn I remember when palmieri was brought up on this board and I said I wasn’t interested. I said he would score 4? Goals from acquisition till we stopped playing hockey. Really hate being right sometimes.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Damn I remember when palmieri was brought up on this board and I said I wasn’t interested. I said he would score 4? Goals from acquisition till we stopped playing hockey. Really hate being right sometimes.
Lou will trade for palmieri at the deadline. He’ll score 5-6 goals for us and be a disappointment. Hope like hell I’m wrong though.
found it, god dammit At this point I’m hoping for 6 goals.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm just going to post this now, when they have looked mediocre thus far. I've been hard on Zajac and Palmieri since the trade, I have to believe there is more here than we have seen thus far, Maybe it's a similar case as last year where Greene and JGP needed time in becoming key players for the Isles, they did in the playoffs, looking for the same this year. Playoffs is a new season.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Trade feels like a square peg in a round hole. He's primarily a RW and shoots righty. Either Lou should have stayed away or brought in a LW as well which is a glaring void and not easy to do. My preference was in house- Bellows or even MDC. Monday morning quarterbacking and revisionist history!!!!KP and TJ are Isles so I will be pulling for them. Hope BT uses this time before the playoffs to rest some, coach more, and tinker with the lineups before the playoffs.

LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad