Confirmed with Link: Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is it unreasonable to assume a guy who plays center could also play wing effectively? Many/most can, so I think it's a calculated risk to acquire a center and try to find a spot for him in the lineup. He's a great insurance policy at center at the very worst.
Did people already forget last season when Cizikas got hurt and our bottom 2 centers for a long stretch became Derick Brassard and Leo Komarov, both playing out of position? With nobody good enough to call up from the AHL?

In the grind of the playoffs you’ll appreciate having a veteran center to fill in for a few games if necessary.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I did some research this morning on 2 of my favourite stats to measure 5v5 on ice effectiveness for players. GF/60 GA60

I was surprised Palmieri was 2nd in GA60 on the team to only Komarov who is known to be a good defensive player. 100TOI min. But here is the not so good. Palmieri was brought in for offence is last in GF60 including defenceman on the Isles.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I did some research this morning on 2 of my favourite stats to measure 5v5 on ice effectiveness for players. GF/60 GA60

I was surprised Palmieri was 2nd in GA60 on the team to only Komarov who is known to be a good defensive player. 100TOI min. But here is the not so good. Palmieri was brought in for offence is last in GF60 including defenceman on the Isles.

You know what, as long as he isn't hurting the team defensively I don't mind waiting for his offense to come around. Worst case scenario is we grabbed a guy who is more of what we have. Not great given the price to acquire him, but it does provide more depth and insulation in case something goes wrong. I do think he'll get going at some point though.

Imagine grabbing Hall, or someone similar, and their defense is so bad it outweighs their offensive contributions?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You know what, as long as he isn't hurting the team defensively I don't mind waiting for his offense to come around. Worst case scenario is we grabbed a guy who is more of what we have. Not great given the price to acquire him, but it does provide more depth and insulation in case something goes wrong. I do think he'll get going at some point though.

Imagine grabbing Hall, or someone similar, and their defense is so bad it outweighs their offensive contributions?
Oh god. Here goes that part of the fanbase that’s willing to sacrifice offense for defense smh.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I am fine with this also. It's one of Lou's principals that I liked when he came to the Island. He mentioned net positive players. IE. If a player scores alot 5v5 but allows a lot of goals 5v5. What is the difference of a player that does not score alot 5v5 but also does not give up a lot 5v5? It's all about what is best for the team. Regarding Palmieri, I expected the reverse. Improve offence, but allow more on defence. But short sample is his defensive metrics have been better than his offence. Just thought it was interesting.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am fine with this also. It's one of Lou's principals that I liked when he came to the Island. He mentioned net positive players. IE. If a player scores alot 5v5 but allows a lot of goals 5v5. What is the difference of a player that does not score alot 5v5 but also does not give up a lot 5v5? It's all about what is best for the team. Regarding Palmieri, I expected the reverse. Improve offence, but allow more on defence. But short sample is his defensive metrics have been better than his offence. Just thought it was interesting.

I had a similar expectation. It makes me wonder if he's intentionally focusing on the defensive aspects of his game first and then the offense will come later.

Reactions: buud

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The problem with Zajac is that having another veteran for Barry to play isn’t the best thing, because it’s clear he’s going to try to shoehorn him into the lineup, even if it doesn’t work.

MY big issue with Zajac though is that there were reports out there that Lou had a deal in place with Buffalo for Hall (whom many of us, myself included) preferred. But then once Zajac was added Lou wanted the depth so he went with NJ instead.

That seems to be on Barry though, not the trade. If Hall came here and did poorly, he'd still be "shoehorned" into the lineup.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Let’s face it, it is a season defining move that has not necessarily worked out like the Islanders have anticipated yet. The season is not over and the playoffs are pretty much a foregone conclusion. I will reserve my judgment on this trade after the season and playoffs.

We cannot look back and say what this team would have done had they not made this trade.

Some facts:

Isles were 9-0-1 in the last 10 games with Lee in the line-up
They have gone 13-9-4 since Lee was injured March 11.
They are 5-5-1 since the trade and first game on April 8 with Palmieri in the lineup.

I am less concerned about Zajac (1g 1a) scoring goals but need him to fit in.
Palmieri has 1 goal 1 assist since joining the Islanders and it is not enough.

I do believe it takes some players some time to adapt to Barry Trotz system especially in a goal scoring role. How long, 5 games, 10, more, never I don’t know.

These guys were brought in to help the team compete for a Stanley Cup.
Failing to get out of the first two rounds is a failure IMO. Right now I don’t see this team advancing out of the first round no matter who they play BUT I am not giving up on them.

There are still a hand full of games to be played to get it right and then the post (real) season begins.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
That seems to be on Barry though, not the trade. If Hall came here and did poorly, he'd still be "shoehorned" into the lineup.
The difference being Hall and Palmieri fit an actual need for the team, being a (theoretical) scoring winger

Zajac doesn’t fill any open holes on the team unless Czizikas gets hurt

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
They'll only be tested by a good team once before the playoffs start.

I think they will be tested every game because they are not a high scoring team and rarely blow anyone out. The Rags fuse will be lit tonight so the Isles need to get a lead and shut them down again.

Build on Thursday night and get the positive energy going again heading into what will be a very difficult playoff game one on the road

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The difference being Hall and Palmieri fit an actual need for the team, being a (theoretical) scoring winger

Zajac doesn’t fill any open holes on the team unless Czizikas gets hurt

Zajac plays if any center goes down, not just Cizikas. I'd also bet that he'd get the nod if nearly any forward were to go down.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Zajac plays if any center goes down, not just Cizikas. I'd also bet that he'd get the nod if nearly any forward were to go down.
I’m not so sure Zajac would get the nod ahead of Dal Colle to fill in for any injured winger. Nor should he.

Reactions: Tres Peleches

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I had a similar expectation. It makes me wonder if he's intentionally focusing on the defensive aspects of his game first and then the offense will come later.

Rewind to why Wahlstrom was sent down last season. His scoring was not existent in college right? Lou and Trotz wanted him to focus on defense. This thought process is entirely possible.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Not that I disagree that’s what Trotz will do. But if a winger goes down MDC brings more to this team at this point than Zajac does at this point in his career

And I’m trying not to thing about life without any other of our centers

Reactions: MJF and Kevin27NYI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’m not so sure Zajac would get the nod ahead of Dal Colle to fill in for any injured winger. Nor should he.

Not that I disagree that’s what Trotz will do. But if a winger goes down MDC brings more to this team at this point than Zajac does at this point in his career

And I’m trying not to thing about life without any other of our centers

You're both probably right about Dal Colle getting first crack at it. I was more thinking about if Martin or Clutterbuck went down, would they go with Johnston or is he done for the season at this point?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're both probably right about Dal Colle getting first crack at it. I was more thinking about if Martin or Clutterbuck went down, would they go with Johnston or is he done for the season at this point?
I gotcha. Yeah Johnston is likely done for this season.

As far as Zajac filling in on the 4th line if Clutter or Martin got hurt, I could see it likely being Komarov slotting in here and MDC going to L2 Bailey to L1.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Speaking of that trivia question, that 2002 team was good. Could have legitimately competed for the Cup if it weren't for that scumbag Toronto team.

Reactions: beach

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Speaking of that trivia question, that 2002 team was good. Could have legitimately competed for the Cup if it weren't for that scumbag Toronto team.
Beyond that 13-1-1- start or whatever it was the the team was .500 the rest of the way. The Peca injury really derailed the playoffs and the following seasons.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Watch Palmieri lead the team in goals in the playoffs, because Lou....

hard to lead the team in anything playing 9 minutes a game. hope that line can find some footing because honestly I haven't seen any sort of upgrade with Palmieri in the lineup instead of Dal Colle. Hope that line can pick it up, it'll be important for the postseason

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
hard to lead the team in anything playing 9 minutes a game. hope that line can find some footing because honestly I haven't seen any sort of upgrade with Palmieri in the lineup instead of Dal Colle. Hope that line can pick it up, it'll be important for the postseason

He was in the locker room getting repairs for a bit in this latest game. Now the pressure is off so hopefully he'll get going.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He made a lot of good defensive plays in the third, once he returned. If you watch back you’ll see

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Took a puck to the face and missed a lot of time

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
He was in the locker room getting repairs for a bit in this latest game. Now the pressure is off so hopefully he'll get going.

Forgot about that - Pageau had the same deal. But Wahlstrom only played 11 minutes as well. Hope those guys can get to a point where Barry trusts them, because they're two of our best offensive players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad