Player Discussion: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I like Kyle alot.
Howeer 6M a year for 5 Years is still to much if you ask me.
I dont think he deserves that much of a raise over his 4.5 Then the length is long as well.

M a year for 5 years.
If he wants I would offer him 5M a year at 7 Years
Or 6M a year on 5 years.

I was saying i would offer him 6M a year for 5 years.
f he wants longer term the Yearly figure should drop.
No idea what i typed in the first part.

SOmething like this i like
5 Years at 6M per
Or 7 Years at 5M

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This is just thinking out loud, so don't kill me:

I jokingly posted somewhere that the NYR would gladly trade Nash for Grabovski. I then started to think about it and check the #s and now present 2 options to you (and for simplicity's sake I'm not thinking too much about helping the NYR out to be able to beat us out for UFAs, but that's certainly something to consider):

1. Sign KO for $6 million per year for 6 years and also have Grabovski on the books for 2 more years at $5 million per year (if he's not LTIRed);

or

2. Don't sign KO for 6 years at $6 mil, and trade Grabo to the NYR for Nash. Nash is on the books for the same 2 years as Grabo, but for $2.8 million more ($7.8 mil rather than $5.0 mil).

Among the questions: How bad/good would Nash be on JT's wing for 2 years? How much would we be helping the NYR by saving them $2.8 mil x 2 years, or potentially $7.8 mill x 2 years? I haven't seen enough of Nash lately to know whether this is a ridiculous idea from a NYI or a NYR perspective!

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This is just thinking out loud, so don't kill me:

I jokingly posted somewhere that the NYR would gladly trade Nash for Grabovski. I then started to think about it and check the #s and now present 2 options to you (and for simplicity's sake I'm not thinking too much about helping the NYR out to be able to beat us out for UFAs, but that's certainly something to consider):

1. Sign KO for $6 million per year for 6 years and also have Grabovski on the books for 2 more years at $5 million per year (if he's not LTIRed);

or

2. Don't sign KO for 6 years at $6 mil, and trade Grabo to the NYR for Nash. Nash is on the books for the same 2 years as Grabo, but for $2.8 million more ($7.8 mil rather than $5.0 mil).

Among the questions: How bad/good would Nash be on JT's wing for 2 years? How much would we be helping the NYR by saving them $2.8 mil x 2 years, or potentially $7.8 mill x 2 years? I haven't seen enough of Nash lately to know whether this is a ridiculous idea from a NYI or a NYR perspective!

All the money and cap hit aside, Nash has not demonstrated that he can 'bring it' in the playoffs. If the objective is to move the Isles deeper into the playoffs, well, he doesn't seem to be that guy to help, whether as JTs winger or in a very expensive support role.

I do think he gets traded though: TOR, AZ, or maybe DET.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Rangers are going to want more than Grabo for Nash, lets be real here. 2.8m in cap relief isn't a whole lot, and they would be taking a huge risk he ends up turning back into a 40 goal scorer next to Tavares.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
About the only thing I am interested in at the moment is if Garf is green lighted to make any meaningful moves before the draft. I am leaning towards him doing nothing at the draft too as new ownership still will not be in charge yet.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
About the only thing I am interested in at the moment is if Garf is green lighted to make any meaningful moves before the draft. I am leaning towards him doing nothing at the draft too as new ownership still will not be in charge yet.

I am surprised at how quiet the talks with Nielsen have gone.

Don't know why I thought Nielsen remaining, was as good as a done deal. Isles don't do things easy.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

Don't know why I thought Nielsen remaining, was as good as a done deal. Isles don't do things easy.

Contract is done, they're holding off announcing it until July first. This way when everything else falls in the crapper, they can say, but we resigned neilsen!

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

I think he will come back.

I think if guys have come this far they are likely to at least go to the interview week.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I think Nielsen is gone if he hits UFA. Remember last time he has a pending UFA he signed his extension before hitting the market.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
I think Nielsen is gone if he hits UFA. Remember last time he has a pending UFA he signed his extension before hitting the market.

to your point, is it not SOP that garth keeps everything close to the vest? ie, announcing signings at the last possible second?

with the exception of casey of course...

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
With Filip forsberg signing for 6x6 does this affect what kyle will get offered in a few more days?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
With Filip forsberg signing for 6x6 does this affect what kyle while get offered in a few more days?

Not really at all. Foreberg being an RFA is completely different than UFA. That said if Forsberg was an UFA as well he would get more than Okposo.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Forsberg's IQ is also top line level. Kid is a beat everywhere on the ice, not just from the redline on.

And he has good skate balance.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Won't miss Kyle at all. He's worth it for about a ten game stretch every year. Let's not forget his constant snubs from USA, his cigarette issue a few years back, his missed wide open net game tieing goal vs holtby in game 7 round 1 2 yrs ago... He just doesn't have it. And I don't blame the isles for moving on. But he has to be replaced.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Won't miss Kyle at all. He's worth it for about a ten game stretch every year. Let's not forget his constant snubs from USA, his cigarette issue a few years back, his missed wide open net game tieing goal vs holtby in game 7 round 1 2 yrs ago... He just doesn't have it. And I don't blame the isles for moving on. But he has to be replaced.

If consistently being in the top 10 in the NHL in points for your position is not having "it"...what does it take to have "it"? How many players have "it"? Just 3-4 RWers in the entire league?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I'll miss Kyle the person for sure. Such a good guy. His play is frustrating for sure and I won't miss certain aspects of that, but I will miss him a lot more if his production isn't replaced.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
If consistently being in the top 10 in the NHL in points for your position is not having "it"...what does it take to have "it"? How many players have "it"? Just 3-4 RWers in the entire league?

How about his +\-? Do you put stock into that? Or does he get a pass for being a lazy pos for most of his career here? He didn't turn it on until the pens series, and since then has rarely looked that good. You don't give that kind of player a core contract.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
How about his +\-? Do you put stock into that? Or does he get a pass for being a lazy pos for most of his career here? He didn't turn it on until the pens series, and since then has rarely looked that good. You don't give that kind of player a core contract.

Let's say a forward had the following +/-'s over a span of 5 years:

...I guess he's not the type of player you'd give a "core contract" to right? :laugh:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm not crazy about ko but it's unacceptable to let him walk and sign Ladd for similar money.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
3 years older. KO produces more and your more likely to see a major drop in Ladd's production on the back end of the deal.

Ladd is also a better defensive player and has a physical element to his game. It's also possible Ladd would be willing to sign a shorter deal than KO would. I'm not a huge proponent in either at the money I think they'll command, but Ladd on a shorter and cheaper contract than Okposo would be a wash, IMO.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Ladd is also a better defensive player and has a physical element to his game. It's also possible Ladd would be willing to sign a shorter deal than KO would. I'm not a huge proponent in either at the money I think they'll command, but Ladd on a shorter and cheaper contract than Okposo would be a wash, IMO.

It depends on what you're looking for. Ladd's a good player and he's a very good 2nd liner...but he's not cut out to play on the 1st line, whereas Okposo is (despite all of his flaws and despite how many posters here are in denial about that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA