Player Discussion: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I don't understand this attachment to KO. Guy was a solid Islander, was great value but to pay him anything above 5 million is insane. Not saying Ladd is going to replace him but we need to turn the page and get some new blood in here.

He's worth wayyyy more than 5 million lol

There's no use getting new blood just for the sake of it. I'd rather keep KO and THEN add new blood instead but that ship has sailed, unfortunately.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I hate to say this but the Isles still lack a Ladd type player on their team. Leadership, toughness, offense and taking pressure off of younger players. This combo is something that very few have. Love KO but he's not Ladd, so before saying KO is better, stats aren't always the reason for signing players. In my opinion Ladd offers much more than KO all around.

I agree with this. KO tries to be too much of a finesse player, Ladd scores 20+ and is big, he hits, brings leadership, if you can get him for less money than KO you do it.

Listen guys, the best we were the years with KO was winning ONE round. Maybe Garth is thinking, we aren't winning much with these guys, maybe it's time for some changes. Ladd may change the chemistry of this team, leadership is a very underrated character to have, if he's on the 1st line, he's better at digging out pucks in the corners than KO. He goes to the dirty areas to score. KO will get way more than he deserves.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Everybody who really wants Okposo back, please state the maximum amount of money you'd give him so we can compare it with what he'll eventually get.

I'd give him $7M. It's the years. I don't want to pay him to 35 years old. A 5 or 6 year contract is it.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
This would be big pickup for Isles, always liked Ladd. He seems older than what he is because he has accomplished so much in his career. Aside from Leddy and Boychuck on D our forwards don't have much playoff experience. Need an upgrade in that department for sure. Don't forget how young the Isles are.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
There's no way to know that though. People assume just because the guy is big and physical that he'll create all this space for JT and goals galore. But chemistry is much more than size and playstyle obviously.

Of course there's no way to know for sure, but what are the alternatives? Keep JT with wingers whom he doesn't have chemistry with and that form a poor line together? Not add any new wingers since no one is guaranteed to have chemistry with him?

You have to make some projections and try things out if you want to improve. You can make projections based on what JT tends to work well with, and what would help to complement his particular strengths and weaknesses. In the end all you'll have is an educated guess, but it's not like you're going to get a first line player on a PTO.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Everybody who really wants Okposo back, please state the maximum amount of money you'd give him so we can compare it with what he'll eventually get.

6mil x 8 6.5m x 7 7mil x 6

Those would be my max.

And i'm not concerned about the term at all. The most we can pay Okposo is until he's 36 and I ain't worried about a 36 year old Okposo.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If Okposo and Ladd cost roughly the same they should go with Kyle. I don't see Ladd as a huge upgrade and Kyle is younger.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
You are absolutely right, but apparently Ladd is some shiny pebble around here where Okposo is a cracked lava rock. Boggles the mind...

No, but he does have 2 Cups to his name and is a former Captain.

Ladd is a different player and Isles appear to want to change things up on the front since all the outgoing players led to one playoff series win during their tenure...

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Since he is ours for a couple more hours, I do want to say thank you to Okposo. He was one of my favorite players and I'm going to miss him. I really hope he's happy wherever he goes.

I'm gonna close this and let someone open up an appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad