Player Discussion: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The question is: does Snow even know or care what Kyle wants? Correct me if I'm wrong but Staple reported a while ago that there haven't been any negotiations.

Between Compton's report that the new owners want Stamkos and Staple's comment on no discussions between Snow and Okposo's reps, it looks like the isles want to keep their budget freed up to make a run at Stamkos. Isles will be just one if several teams in the bidding.
Teams are allowed to talk to free agents a week before July 1st.

I just don't want to see Stamkos sign elsewhere and the isles replace Okposo with someone older, less productive at similar $ and term to what Okposo wanted.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Between Compton's report that the new owners want Stamkos and Staple's comment on no discussions between Snow and Okposo's reps, it looks like the isles want to keep their budget freed up to make a run at Stamkos. Isles will be just one if several teams in the bidding.
Teams are allowed to talk to free agents a week before July 1st.

I just don't want to see Stamkos sign elsewhere and the isles replace Okposo with someone older, less productive at similar $ and term to what Okposo wanted.

Agreed, and that is how you get burned. And with our luck that is precisely what will happen.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Oh...didn't know small sample sizes decided careers anymore. My bad.

No...but Jaros injuries sure can do that. Look if Greiss proved nothing to you last year then okay...but to say Jaro, the often injured and discontent 4.5M cap hit is the better choice then okay that's your opinion. No need to be sarcastic or talk to me like I'm an idiot, because that I most certainly am not. Stop getting so offended because I don't agree with you...just as I don't know everything, you also do not. I see more risk with Jaros injuries then I do with Greissers "lack of starting experience" and I also see a happy goalie vs an unhappy one...as well a 1.5 hit vs a 4.5 hit. So we are strictly going off of more gp ? Well from the start everyone knew Greiss would play more as Halak is not a traditional 70-75 games a year guy. Then Jaro got her straight out of camp (out of shape ? Not ready ? Purely my own speculation, but can't be written off) so then Greiss is getting even more games...he succeeds. Jaro struggles...and the Intial thoughts of Greiss being starter start rolling around. Jaro never fully regains the #1 as him and Greiss split games...Greiss continues to outplay him...Jaro goes down again Greiss officially now becomes starter...he catches fire...goes in to the POs and maintains his sv% through both rounds. I recall people cringing at the thought of Jaro starting and feel safe with Greiss almost all year. Now Jaro complains while Greiss goes and plays for Germany and further shines and has now played roughly 60 games when all said and done and never faltered and when he had a minor off game it was still a million times better the Jaros off games (this year or ever). As far as I'm concerned Greiss has earned the #1 next year. If you want to keep an unhappy Jaro on the bench at 4.5M to play backup. Well okay then. Is Greiss Holtby ? No. Schneider ? No. Is Halak ? No. Is Greiss the better goalie ? I think yes. I dont know what more you needed from him this year to prove that...Halaks injuries will only happen more and more. Also being it was a groin...with his style of play....yeah. He won't last long next year and his further increase in injuries is a concern. I personally think Jaro will never play more then 30-40 games a year for the rest of his career...and how long that lasts who knows.

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
With the cap situation (especially if the players do not invoke the escalator) there is a good chance Kyle has to settle at between 5-6m per, if that is the case and we can't get Stamkos I would resign him.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Thing is, Okposo is a top tier free agent on the market. If we miss out on Stamkos, we will have to really hope and scramble that Okposo didn't sign elsewhere.

I think Okposo will be one of the first chips to fall honestly and if all the eggs are in the Stamkos basket, better land the guy otherwise we might be left with our ding dong in our hands

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I said this before the season. Okposo is worth 5.8M per over 5 years in my opinion.

Factor in free agency, that comes to 6 x 6. Not sure if Snow wants to pay Okposo 6M per at age 33-34 though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No...but Jaros injuries sure can do that. Look if Greiss proved nothing to you last year then okay...but to say Jaro, the often injured and discontent 4.5M cap hit is the better choice then okay that's your opinion. No need to be sarcastic or talk to me like I'm an idiot, because that I most certainly am not. Stop getting so offended because I don't agree with you...just as I don't know everything, you also do not. I see more risk with Jaros injuries then I do with Greissers "lack of starting experience" and I also see a happy goalie vs an unhappy one...as well a 1.5 hit vs a 4.5 hit. So we are strictly going off of more gp ? Well from the start everyone knew Greiss would play more as Halak is not a traditional 70-75 games a year guy. Then Jaro got her straight out of camp (out of shape ? Not ready ? Purely my own speculation, but can't be written off) so then Greiss is getting even more games...he succeeds. Jaro struggles...and the Intial thoughts of Greiss being starter start rolling around. Jaro never fully regains the #1 as him and Greiss split games...Greiss continues to outplay him...Jaro goes down again Greiss officially now becomes starter...he catches fire...goes in to the POs and maintains his sv% through both rounds. I recall people cringing at the thought of Jaro starting and feel safe with Greiss almost all year. Now Jaro complains while Greiss goes and plays for Germany and further shines and has now played roughly 60 games when all said and done and never faltered and when he had a minor off game it was still a million times better the Jaros off games (this year or ever). As far as I'm concerned Greiss has earned the #1 next year. If you want to keep an unhappy Jaro on the bench at 4.5M to play backup. Well okay then. Is Greiss Holtby ? No. Schneider ? No. Is Halak ? No. Is Greiss the better goalie ? I think yes. I dont know what more you needed from him this year to prove that...Halaks injuries will only happen more and more. Also being it was a groin...with his style of play....yeah. He won't last long next year and his further increase in injuries is a concern. I personally think Jaro will never play more then 30-40 games a year for the rest of his career...and how long that lasts who knows.

How is the 4.5 coming off the books for a single season helping the organization? It seems to be a sticking point for you on how it will help the team but you've provided no insight as to how that works.

I think the team does have a realistic shot at getting Stamkos, provided they make a quality offer. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket though, just like I wouldn't shoot myself in the leg by signing Okposo to a monster deal before I had a chance to even speak with the top free agent. Signing a free agent and then making a big trade is completely possible, as is signing two of the better free agents. Stamkos needs to be the first domino to fall though I'd think.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
How is the 4.5 coming off the books for a single season helping the organization? It seems to be a sticking point for you on how it will help the team but you've provided no insight as to how that works.

I think the team does have a realistic shot at getting Stamkos, provided they make a quality offer. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket though, just like I wouldn't shoot myself in the leg by signing Okposo to a monster deal before I had a chance to even speak with the top free agent. Signing a free agent and then making a big trade is completely possible, as is signing two of the better free agents. Stamkos needs to be the first domino to fall though I'd think.

I really, really think you're going to be disappointed if you think we aren't signing KO to make a run at Stamkos. I hope I'm wrong.

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
I really, really think you're going to be disappointed if you think we aren't signing KO to make a run at Stamkos. I hope I'm wrong.
JT is good friends with Stamkos if he has any interest playing for us they already know it. I am also torn about signing Okposo but 7X7 is pretty unrealistic at this point

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I'm with you 100% with the exception of calling it "luck". It's not luck-it's the abilities of management.

I was not specific enough, by luck I mean by our hope as a fan base. We've been let down before, and it just reeks of a management kind of thing to do.

Leave all the eggs in the basket for Stamkos, fail to sign him, and settle for a player worse than Okposo.

Just reeks of Isles management problems.

Islanders need top 6 wingers. They are not going to get better by letting Okposo walk.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I don't think it's necessarily for Stamkos, but they're going to see what options they have. I'm also not expecting them to sign Stamkos, so no, I won't be disappointed. I do expect an offer to be made, but that's not the same thing as expecting him to be in an Islanders uniform next season.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I was not specific enough, by luck I mean by our hope as a fan base. We've been let down before, and it just reeks of a management kind of thing to do.

Leave all the eggs in the basket for Stamkos, fail to sign him, and settle for a player worse than Okposo.

Just reeks of Isles management problems.

Islanders need top 6 wingers. They are not going to get better by letting Okposo walk.

Or sign everyone for too much, leave yourself no maneuvering room next year, have the same roster and go no where again.

Yeah second round losers! Do you really want that?
tumblr_ndeenknHy11qbtwyto1_500.gif

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Everybody uses sarcasm on these boards, you are no different. Why is it every time you get upset with sarcasm you tell me not to get offended? I rarely get offended by anything. I think you need to stop getting offended. Sarcasm is sarcasm. I don't think you are an idiot, but it doesn't mean that I can't think what you are saying is idiotic. There is a difference.

I just don't understand how you can be okay with yourself when you use stats for one season here and there and ignore the big picture. But then, you use the big picture to argue other things. Go look at how many games Halak has played every season. He doesn't average 30-40 games. We knew what we were getting with Halak when everyone was ecstatic that he signed with us, and we have gotten exactly what we expected. He gets his fair share of injuries but they are rarely major and he gets in a good 50 games a season on average.

I also fail to see how you think Jaro faltered at all. He actually hasn't faltered as an Islander at all. He's played fairly consistently, kept us in many games, yet you seem to act like Greiss played the entire season while Jaro sat on the bench or in the seats. I certainly don't think he got 18 wins by sitting on his hands. It's fine if you want to take a "what have you done for me lately" approach, but don't be surprised that people call you out for it. And don't be surprised when they call something like using a career backup and a minor league goalie as your tandem for a season as idiotic. Next we will be looking for sumo wrestlers to go into net.

As for him complaining, that's the only thing I agree with you on. I don't think it's at the point where we need to make a rash decision and cut ties with him. The rumblings are just rumors and I don't think it's become a distraction yet. He hasn't Nina'd it yet.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If the cap goes down this year then letting Kyle walk and trading a few guys with low cap hits for a solid wing seems more feasible.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Who do you intend to replace Kyle with then? Any names?

I am not targeting anyone yet, but if you visit any of the cap numbers sites you will know that there are teams in trouble. Tampa is screwed kut of Stammer, but LA and others are in deep doodoo.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It really would be something if the cap went down, a lot of teams would be scrambling big time. With how we're set up, we'd benefit rather than suffer.

It would be such an Islanders thing to rely on an external circumstance like cap decrease to benefit their team as opposed to simply being more aggressive in signing players.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It would be such an Islanders thing to rely on an external circumstance like cap decrease to benefit their team as opposed to simply being more aggressive in signing players.

WTF are you talking about? I'm sure it was Snow's grandmaster plan for the cap to go down so he can continue to cheap out. :facepalm:

My comment was that it would benefit us if the cap went down and you take it and run with it to further your usual agenda. We get it, it's getting old.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Everybody uses sarcasm on these boards, you are no different. Why is it every time you get upset with sarcasm you tell me not to get offended? I rarely get offended by anything. I think you need to stop getting offended. Sarcasm is sarcasm. I don't think you are an idiot, but it doesn't mean that I can't think what you are saying is idiotic. There is a difference.

I just don't understand how you can be okay with yourself when you use stats for one season here and there and ignore the big picture. But then, you use the big picture to argue other things. Go look at how many games Halak has played every season. He doesn't average 30-40 games. We knew what we were getting with Halak when everyone was ecstatic that he signed with us, and we have gotten exactly what we expected. He gets his fair share of injuries but they are rarely major and he gets in a good 50 games a season on average.

I also fail to see how you think Jaro faltered at all. He actually hasn't faltered as an Islander at all. He's played fairly consistently, kept us in many games, yet you seem to act like Greiss played the entire season while Jaro sat on the bench or in the seats. I certainly don't think he got 18 wins by sitting on his hands. It's fine if you want to take a "what have you done for me lately" approach, but don't be surprised that people call you out for it. And don't be surprised when they call something like using a career backup and a minor league goalie as your tandem for a season as idiotic. Next we will be looking for sumo wrestlers to go into net.

As for him complaining, that's the only thing I agree with you on. I don't think it's at the point where we need to make a rash decision and cut ties with him. The rumblings are just rumors and I don't think it's become a distraction yet. He hasn't Nina'd it yet.

Nope, I don't get offended. I spent 4 years in the Infantry...kinda hard to offend me. Also my point is just as you did again " what's next sumo wrestlers in net " like my idea is almost as bad as that lol I don't get offended, I just get to a point to where I feel like it's a waste of time to express my opinions in any kind of detail when I feel im just going to be mocked for my opinion. I care about others opinion (which is why I come here) just not enough to feel the person I'm speaking with is more concentrated on trying to figure out how to get an insult in rather then stick to hockey. If I wanted condescending id talk to my mother.

But anyway I'm done with that, back to hockey lol

I know Jaro doesn't play 30-40 games a year, I just see him dropping to 30-40 at best a year...very soon. Injuries increase as you age and he is IMO already getting worse in that department. Greiss isn't ideal but either is Jaro. I just think it's best we move on if the org truly believes JFB is ready. Greiss has has full confidence of the org from the players straight on up to the GM where as Jaro does not. The players seemed much more confident with Greiss in net. I feel there are reasons for that. Things we as fans aren't privy too. I'm not sure of all the Reasons but I can see that was the case last year.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
WTF are you talking about? I'm sure it was Snow's grandmaster plan for the cap to go down so he can continue to cheap out. :facepalm:

My comment was that it would benefit us if the cap went down and you take it and run with it to further your usual agenda. We get it, it's getting old.

It's Capuano's fault the cap is going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad