Player Discussion: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Or sign everyone for too much, leave yourself no maneuvering room next year, have the same roster and go no where again.

Yeah second round losers! Do you really want that?
tumblr_ndeenknHy11qbtwyto1_500.gif

We are going nowhere past the second round with Cappy anyways.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I can totally see it. We have the need, we have the cap space, and we're arguably the best team that can offer him a contract that he wants.

I guess I have to get out of that "no free agents want to sign with the Islanders" mindset. We're not in the run-down coliseum anymore . . . (but we should move back AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)!! :)

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Hey guys Pens fan here. I know Okposo is awesome but had a couple of questions.

Would he work well with Malkin and what cap hit is he likely to get?

If we a spending bigger money in FA, Okposo is the only guy I'd really want. That's if he is available of course.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Hey guys Pens fan here. I know Okposo is awesome but had a couple of questions.

Would he work well with Malkin and what cap hit is he likely to get?

If we a spending bigger money in FA, Okposo is the only guy I'd really want. That's if he is available of course.

Yes he is available. He will go to free agency and get around 7 years 7 Million. I think he would mesh well with Malkin, although I don't think it matters much...you guys can't afford him. You have a lot locked up in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang can't afford a 7M guy with your current roster.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The lack of movement on the Nielsen contract and the Cizikas deal has me thinking the Islanders might give Kyle his deal. You then start Mat Barzal with Tavares as a first line wing and see what happens. It's wild card, but Barzal almost made the team out of camp as an 18 year old. He's going back to the CHL next year unless the Islanders decide to keep him. He's a natural center, but 3/4 of his points are assists.

This is a gamble. But, I don't think there are very many other viable options especially with Tavares needing to be extended. It's certainly not optimal, but maybe it can work.

I'd also give Kyle a $500k bonus every year we don't his poorly executed inside-out toe drag move that probably only worked in high school, and maybe the USHL.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
The lack of movement on the Nielsen contract and the Cizikas deal has me thinking the Islanders might give Kyle his deal. You then start Mat Barzal with Tavares as a first line wing and see what happens. It's wild card, but Barzal almost made the team out of camp as an 18 year old. He's going back to the CHL next year unless the Islanders decide to keep him. He's a natural center, but 3/4 of his points are assists.

This is a gamble. But, I don't think there are very many other viable options especially with Tavares needing to be extended. It's certainly not optimal, but maybe it can work.

I'd also give Kyle a $500k bonus every year we don't his poorly executed inside-out toe drag move that probably only worked in high school, and maybe the USHL.

I see what your getting at, but I don't think so...as of now the assumption is CC will be centering the 3rd line. Could still possibly be on fourth line...but with MM heading out and CC fully capable of 3rd line duties I believe it will be his line. So if Garth doesn't sign Frans then who centers the 2nd line ? Brock, strome, Barzal ? I just dont see it. Frans will be resigned, not signing him leaves this team very vulnerable down the middle. If Frans isn't signed by the draft I will worry. Also Frans can play C or W. I think the isles value Frans at 4-5M way more then KO at 7M. Plus even though it was reported there was nothing new to report with either player, it was said 2 weeks ago Snow and Frans agent would be talking soon... just hasent happened yet. Who knows maybe it has...Casey got signed with absolutly zero info leaked that they even started talking. Garth has always been a master of not having him or any parties involved giving out any info he doesn't want out. Even if we sign Stamkos, Frans will still be resigned. Frans is extremely versatile and can fit in at 1W 2W 2C 3C.

Last edited:

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Yes he is available. He will go to free agency and get around 7 years 7 Million. I think he would mesh well with Malkin, although I don't think it matters much...you guys can't afford him. You have a lot locked up in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang can't afford a 7M guy with your current roster.

Thanks mate. Yeah 7x7 would be too much. 6 mil x 5 yrs might be ok if we dealt Kunitz, Fleury but that's probably not happening.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks mate. Yeah 7x7 would be too much. 6 mil x 5 yrs might be ok if we dealt Kunitz, Fleury but that's probably not happening.

If he would take 6 million for 5 years, I'd have to think the Isles would re-sign him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What about 6X7...that might be the sweet spot for KO?

I'd do it, but I know Staple was reporting that the term was the concern on the Isles side. If he's getting 7 years, I'm not including any NTC or NMC on the back of it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'd do it, but I know Staple was reporting that the term was the concern on the Isles side. If he's getting 7 years, I'm not including any NTC or NMC on the back of it.

Eh, I don't even mind NMC or NTC's. As far as expansion is concerned we'd be protecting him anyway. Other than that, by the time the teams are ready to move a guy like that he's usually ready for a change in scenery as well. Sure, doesn't happen all the time, but I just don't worry that much about those types of things. It will limit trading partners, but it won't make him completely umoveable. He'll only be 33/34/35 as the deal comes to a close so it's not like he's too old to move at that point. If that's what's holding it up I give it to him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Eh, I don't even mind NMC or NTC's. As far as expansion is concerned we'd be protecting him anyway. Other than that, by the time the teams are ready to move a guy like that he's usually ready for a change in scenery as well. Sure, doesn't happen all the time, but I just don't worry that much about those types of things. It will limit trading partners, but it won't make him completely umoveable. He'll only be 33/34/35 as the deal comes to a close so it's not like he's too old to move at that point. If that's what's holding it up I give it to him.

NMC or NTC's can end up being a powerful tool for the player, and I wouldn't like that shift of control. It allows players to dictate where they're going to end up, which ultimately can hurt the value of any trade. Not a huge fan of it, but you make a fair point about his age. I'm purely speculating about the NMC or NTC, but I wonder if Snow would do what he did for Boychuk with the NMC and the limited NTC kicking in at the end.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
If he would take 6 million for 5 years, I'd have to think the Isles would re-sign him.

I like Kyle alot.
Howeer 6M a year for 5 Years is still to much if you ask me.
I dont think he deserves that much of a raise over his 4.5 Then the length is long as well.

I would offer him 5M a year at 7 Years
Or 6M a year on 5 years.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Nope, I don't get offended. I spent 4 years in the Infantry...kinda hard to offend me. Also my point is just as you did again " what's next sumo wrestlers in net " like my idea is almost as bad as that lol I don't get offended, I just get to a point to where I feel like it's a waste of time to express my opinions in any kind of detail when I feel im just going to be mocked for my opinion. I care about others opinion (which is why I come here) just not enough to feel the person I'm speaking with is more concentrated on trying to figure out how to get an insult in rather then stick to hockey. If I wanted condescending id talk to my mother.

But anyway I'm done with that, back to hockey lol

I know Jaro doesn't play 30-40 games a year, I just see him dropping to 30-40 at best a year...very soon. Injuries increase as you age and he is IMO already getting worse in that department. Greiss isn't ideal but either is Jaro. I just think it's best we move on if the org truly believes JFB is ready. Greiss has has full confidence of the org from the players straight on up to the GM where as Jaro does not. The players seemed much more confident with Greiss in net. I feel there are reasons for that. Things we as fans aren't privy too. I'm not sure of all the Reasons but I can see that was the case last year.

Quite reasonably put and I feel like a dick now, lol. I'll try to be less insulting. I guess you are just as tired of having your opinion torn apart as I am with what I think is a horrible game plan going forward. Losing your number 1 goalie and your number 1 RW in the hopes and dreams of free agency just seems so devastating I can't even fathom it. I'm glad you are confident, but you have to admit you are just guessing. I'm tired of going into the season guessing. I'd rather know what we have and be pleasantly surprised by the supporting cast than go in with huge question marks in the big positions.

I also don't see a lack of confidence from the team when Jaro is in net. I've seen it before with other Islander goalies, but not Jaro. He seems to have a very calming influence (to my eyes) when he's out there. The team is rarely panicking or diving around like they were prone to do with Greiss. I think Jaro's positioning is actually better than Greiss's so his movements are way more compact. That (and maybe his work ethic) are the reasons why I think he gets injured. When he does have to make a diving or lunging save his body isn't as nimble and he doesn't work hard enough to keep it that way. That's my gut feeling anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad