Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He also gave term to Matt Martin and Leo Komarov AFTER their 17/18 seasons. After. Let that sink in.

He should have retired. Still his methods are top notch, perhaps his judgement is diminished though. I would have rather had Shanahan take over the team or perhaps Hunter.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
He should have retired. Still his methods are top notch, perhaps his judgement is diminished though. I would have rather had Shanahan take over the team or perhaps Hunter.

He's unquestionably a good negotiator....just look at the deals for Rielly, Kadri and Freddie. Pretty sure he uses his old NJ mob tactics ;)

As for his old school approach - clean cut, no facial hair etc - and his free agent evaluation....I'll hard pass.

As you said, he should have retired. But money is a heckuva drug

Reactions: thewave

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We all know that. Babcock resisted giving him a shot on a good line the whole while. He didn't trust Leivo even when Leivo had some of the best numbers on the team and was a rock solid possession guy. They must have had some issue at some point.

Mirtle has mentioned that Babcock is big in first impressions. Once he develops an initialopinion of a player it can be hard to shake.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He also gave term to Matt Martin and Leo Komarov AFTER their 17/18 seasons. After. Let that sink in.

No, Martin was acquired from the Leafs with two years left on his deal. Komarov was signed as a UFA.

And as a near cap floor team (with a winning record), I don't think Lou cares nearly as much about overpaying for some veteran depth as you do...

What does he know though? LOL

Reactions: diceman934

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
No, Martin was acquired from the Leafs with two years left on his deal. Komarov was signed as a UFA.

And as a near cap floor team (with a winning record), I don't think Lou cares nearly as much about overpaying for some veteran depth as you do...

What does he know though? LOL

Cool! He makes terrible trades, too!

You sure showed me!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I can also show you a picture of one of his three Cup rings too..

How many do you have?

:laugh:

His success from 20 years ago means he was very capable 20 years ago. Not today. The game has changed, and he has not changed with it.

Do you know who Ross Johnson is? Me neither. Neither did 90% of the hockey world. But 'ol Lou gave him 4 years. Guess he wanted to make sure he locked up that AHLer

Don't take the criticisms personally. I actually gave him credit a few posts ago....don't let that ruin your narrative though.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Isles are 3rd in their division without Tavares and with little contribution from Barzal. Not a Lou fan much but I was not expecting his team to be too competitive without Barzal carrying the load..

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
His success from 20 years ago means he was very capable 20 years ago. Not today. The game has changed, and he has not changed with it.

Do you know who Ross Johnson is? Me neither. Neither did 90% of the hockey world. But 'ol Lou gave him 4 years. Guess he wanted to make sure he locked up that AHLer

Don't take the criticisms personally. I actually gave him credit a few posts ago....don't let that ruin your narrative though.

Both playoff appearances the Leafs have had since the last lockout have been with him as GM of the team. Success? Guess not...

Again, not sure why you're so bothered by the Islanders...they're doing just fine as a cap floor team with some guys who, in your opinion, are overpaid by a few bucks :laugh:

I get it though, as devoted Leafs fans, we're supposed to run down all past players, coaches, and managers... once they're no longer with the Leafs. Forgive me, I'll try and stick to the script in the future!

Reactions: hotpaws

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I love how that line scored 5 goals the other game, and Leivo didnt get a single point. Thats the definition of irrelevant.
Actually watch the videos 3 of the goals were created by Leivo. Two of them on devastating hits and puck retirevals. and one on a total screen. Take 3 goals off the board if Leivo does not make them happen. This is the problem with people who go off of the stats line.

Reactions: hotpaws

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Plenty of tough/physical players on his Soo rosters over the years..

That's crap.

Also brought in guys like Marchment, Olesky (his first go round) and Clune to the Marlies.

I don't see Dubas making a change to bring in toughness just to do it. I think Marchment, and Grundstrom are guys he sees who can bring some toughness to the lineup through internal promotion.

To say he ignores toughness, just isn't true. He doesn't go out of his way to add toughness, but finding guys to come in on cheap deals to add depth and can bring value in other areas as well? Of course he'll do that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sure he may on a bad Team but on a good Team he isn't good enough to play up in the lineup.

Faulty logic when we have guys like Brown, Hyman playing on top lines. Leivo was not a liability ever, his possession stats were always good. He is a bit slow but is a good protector of the puck and has pretty quick hands while being good along the boards. A lot better than Hyman and Brown. He was not given a shot. Time will tell who is right, but your statement is the pinnacle of ignorance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Too many people here do not watch the games. They look at the box scores. Last night Nylander was not playing well. Yes he got 2 points and yes he made 1 really nice pass. But it only occured because he cheated when Kadri really made the play happen. If Kadri gets checked and Nylander's man sweeps that puck in our end and they score then that was entirely Nylander's fault. Sorry I look at game like a coach.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Faulty logic when we have guys like Brown, Hyman playing on top lines. Leivo was not a liability ever, his possession stats were always good. He is a bit slow but is a good protector of the puck and has pretty quick hands while being good along the boards. A lot better than Hyman and Brown. He was not given a shot. Time will tell who is right, but your statement is the pinnacle of ignorance.

In reality, the player that cost Leivo his spot was Corsi-darling Martin Marincin.

Babcock won't play him, Dubas won't demote him..

Pretty sure we're the only team in the NHL with a pairing of defencemen in the press-box on any given night..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
In reality, the player that cost Leivo his spot was Corsi-darling Martin Marincin.

Yeah and that's just a really strange thing. I can't stand Marty Marincin at all, I think he is just awful. He was a Dubas get.

Does Dubas have a tendency to stubbornly keep selections he makes at all costs? I never thought about it until now, but, it may just be the case. Perhaps this will explain SSM hires as well. If it is indeed one of his glitches, could prove to be problematic.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Pretty sure we're the only team in the NHL with a pairing of defencemen in the press-box on any given night..
Wrong. Dubas wanted to help Leivo out. Babs did not like his style of game and was taking him out when Nylander arrived. Dubas made a promise and delivered. Dubas was also smart enough to realize he was not going to be able to afford Leivo next year either. That part never comes out but Dubas is a smart cookie. So he get an asset for him rather than get nothing.
Marincin goes on waivers and then he has to go to Marlies so no insurance for Babs.

Reactions: Menzinger

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Sorry, what's the point here?

Yeah, we have guys in the pressbox who don't play. And?

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I'm very confused as to why some people don't like Dubas, so I will use this question to understand:

If we are able to retain all of Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares/Rielly/Andersen long-term, will you be happy with Dubas' performance?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Wrong. Dubas wanted to help Leivo out. Babs did not like his style of game and was taking him out when Nylander arrived. Dubas made a promise and delivered. Dubas was also smart enough to realize he was not going to be able to afford Leivo next year either. That part never comes out but Dubas is a smart cookie. So he get an asset for him rather than get nothing.
Marincin goes on waivers and then he has to go to Marlies so no insurance for Babs.

No other team in the NHL as far as I can see carries 2 spare defencemen. Dubas is the only one.

This decision forced the trade of Leivo because if they wanted to waive him and send him down he would have been claimed for nothing by the Canucks or another team since he's on a one-way.

They got an AHL player as salvage.

Or do you not get that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad