Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
And you're a Hyman supporter. Jesus christ lmfao.

Of course. He actually contributes something that the majority of the Leafs roster does not. Leivo only contributed painfully slow skating. As Pettersson and Boeser were celebrating their goals, Leivo was still making his way into the offensive zone, and than he missed out on all the post goal celebrations as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Of course. He actually contributes something that the majority of the Leafs roster does not. Leivo only contributed painfully slow skating. As Pettersson and Boeser were celebrating their goals, Leivo was still making his way into the offensive zone, and than he missed out on all the post goal celebrations as well.
You didn't watch that game, did you?

There's just something painfully hypocritical about excusing Hyman for not making it onto the scoresheet yet lambasting Leivo for not.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Negotiations 101: Do not make public your intentions or broadcast your thoughts, dreams, hopes and aspirations. Basically, S T F U and keep your poker face on. Shanny, Smiles and Babcock all weighed in like knuckleheads and Dubas left hanging fruit (CAP) for Nylander to reach for. They did! (Shocking)

Seems the current team learned nothing from the Lou Lam cone of silence and his 30+ years of GM experience.

Dubas needs to say less publicly and make less demands or promises as it simply puts him at a disadvantage behind close doors.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seems the current team learned nothing from the Lou Lam cone of silence and his 30+ years of GM experience.

Dubas needs to say less publicly and make less demands or promises as it simply puts him at a disadvantage behind close doors.

There are plenty of things I hope he hasn't learned from Lamoriello, like handing out long-term contracts to mediocre and bottom of the barrel players.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
You didn't watch that game, did you?

There's just something painfully hypocritical about excusing Hyman for not making it onto the scoresheet yet lambasting Leivo for not.

Funny this is I did watch the game, only because I had Leivo in draftkings. He just got left in the dust most of the time. For the record, I have nothing against Leivo, he is a decent player, but was held up too high on this board.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Funny this is I did watch the game, only because I had Leivo in draftkings. He just got left in the dust most of the time. For the record, I have nothing against Leivo, he is a decent player, but was held up too high on this board.

I really get the feeling that you're afraid of more of Babcock's flaws getting exposed. You wouldn't be needlessly disparaging Leivo's game if you weren't.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I love how a 22 year old is now a career minor league. Leivo was in the AHL at 22...
There isn't one serious impartial observer who sees this guy in the NHL, at this age pretty much everyone thought Leivo was NHL worthy.

It's a bad trade. We knew Willie was coming back, so why we seemed flat footed and took whatever we could get, for a clear NHL caliber winger, escapes me. If we didn't like the return for Leivo put Marincin, who has already cleared, on waivers. Or Holl, hardly a big risk he's taken.

All I look at is assets, Vancouver obviously got a better one than we did.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There isn't one serious impartial observer who sees this guy in the NHL, at this age pretty much everyone thought Leivo was NHL worthy.

It's a bad trade. We knew Willie was coming back, so why we seemed flat footed and took whatever we could get, for a clear NHL caliber winger, escapes me. If we didn't like the return for Leivo put Marincin, who has already cleared, on waivers. Or Holl, hardly a big risk he's taken.

All I look at is assets, Vancouver obviously got a better one than we did.

Write that in terms of raw values the Leafs got less in the deal, but there seemed a lot more at play here than just that.

I suspect Dubas is trying to undo the reputation that the Leafs has developed over the past couple seasons about not treating these fringe/depth guys fairly. Dubas can’t change Babcock’s view on Leivo but he can give the player an opportunity to play elsewhere. If his means the Leafs lose out on say a 4th round pick in terms of assets so be it. It’s not as if he did this with an asset that had significant value:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Write that in terms of raw values the Leafs got less in the deal, but there seemed a lot more at play here than just that.

I suspect Dubas is trying to undo the reputation that the Leafs has developed over the past couple seasons about not treating these fringe/depth guys fairly. Dubas can’t change Babcock’s view on Leivo but he can give the player an opportunity to play elsewhere. If his means the Leafs lose out on say a 4th round pick in terms of assets so be it. It’s not as if he did this with an asset that had significant value:
I get the ethically argument, but I'm still struck by the sheer "hockey trade" aspect. We really got nothing back in my mind and this guy could well pot 18-20 goals in this league.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Lou is top notch at negotiations. It's his primary strength. Who can deny that?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I get the ethically argument, but I'm still struck by the sheer "hockey trade" aspect. We really got nothing back in my mind and this guy could well pot 18-20 goals in this league.

Hey, im a Leivo fan myself. The issue here is Babcock though more than anything.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

The cognitive dissonance here is just outrageous.

We just had a 6 month record breaking contract negotiation with 24/7 coverage by all the major sports outlets, with ZERO leaks, quotes, or anything whatsoever coming out...

... and you try to make this point?

Seriously, do you actually believe what you just said? Or are you just trolling as usual?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Dubas so far seems to be doing really well, my only complaint is that he sometimes needs to learn when not to say anything or he needs to be able to give a more GM sounding answer. Promising to sign everyone, saying as lnog as he's GM Nylander won't be traded are just silly things to promise. Always leave your options open.

Still quite happy with his performance so far. Oh and Leivo was too slow to play in the top 6, he's not the kind of player we need anymore and Dubas was right to trade him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure he may on a bad Team but on a good Team he isn't good enough to play up in the lineup.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I'm sure they called around, and if they had gotten a better offer, they'd have taken it.

I find it somewhat hard to argue about trade returns a lot of the time. If the return is that low, then another team most certainly would have stepped in with a better offer. If they don't, then it can't be that much of a bargain.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hey, im a Leivo fan myself. The issue here is Babcock though more than anything.

We all know that. Babcock resisted giving him a shot on a good line the whole while. He didn't trust Leivo even when Leivo had some of the best numbers on the team and was a rock solid possession guy. They must have had some issue at some point.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
There are plenty of things I hope he hasn't learned from Lamoriello, like handing out long-term contracts to mediocre and bottom of the barrel players.

That bitter about the Zaitsev contract eh?

Oh right, I forgot we have to bash Lou now that he's not a part of this organization anymore...

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Probably shouldn't expect the Leafs to add toughness any time soon.
5. A couple more notes on the Maple Leafs, since those of you outside the Ontario capital can’t get enough. Toughness returned to the forefront after last Saturday’s loss in Boston, but you have to look at GM Kyle Dubas’s history. It’s been a yearly critique of his teams — OHL Sault Ste. Marie, AHL Toronto — and he ignores it. He’s undoubtedly focused more on Tampa Bay, the only team ahead of the Maple Leafs in the standings. The Lightning are built similarly to Toronto, and that makeup is in his own DNA.

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That bitter about the Zaitsev contract eh?

Oh right, I forgot we have to bash Lou now that he's not a part of this organization anymore...

It's that bad.

Also, I'm not the one that brought up Lamoriello and his "teaching" ways in a Dubas thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad