Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov waived/placed on waivers (Update: 3/3/24 clears waivers, assigned to AHL Hershey)

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
1709514662876.jpeg

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
He will report and poison Hershey. He isn't walking away from the last $10M he'll make in hockey. The KHL pays terrible these days. He would likely only get a couple hundred thousand. He'll go the chocolate town and likely be a malcontent there for the next 13 months.
He might have fun playing in the AHL though - no pressure and easy goals might help his obvious mental health issues.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's either going to dominate the competition, or poison the locker room. Time will tell.
I’d expect a tight leash in Hershey, because if he did anything of the sort, they should suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. I think he’ll be on good behavior until he and his team decide what to do next…

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
One thing I keep thinking about from GMBM's press conference is he kept saying that this is a start to the process of Kuznetsov getting the change of scenery that he wanted. What process is that exactly?

Yes they sent him down, but there was a 99.9% chance that he was going to clear, look Kuzy nobody wants you even for free.

So Kuzy tears it up down there, Caps are 2-4 points back with 10 games left, are they calling him up...I doubt it. He is done in Washington

So then we get to the offseason, the Caps don't buy players out, I can't really remember a non compliance buyout. What type of pick and retention do we need to trade him? A 3rd and 50%? Why bother just let the contract burnout and he stays in Hershey for next season. Does he say f it I am staying in Russia, then Caps terminate and he can go anywhere? Seems like the NHL might have a problem with that.

I just don't get what process this started exactly?

Maybe a trade for Vrana!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
One thing I keep thinking about from GMBM's press conference is he kept saying that this is a start to the process of Kuznetsov getting the change of scenery that he wanted. What process is that exactly?

Yes they sent him down, but there was a 99.9% chance that he was going to clear, look Kuzy nobody wants you even for free.

So Kuzy tears it up down there, Caps are 2-4 points back with 10 games left, are they calling him up...I doubt it. He is done in Washington

So then we get to the offseason, the Caps don't buy players out, I can't really remember a non compliance buyout. What type of pick and retention do we need to trade him? A 3rd and 50%? Why bother just let the contract burnout and he stays in Hershey for next season. Does he say f it I am staying in Russia, then Caps terminate and he can go anywhere? Seems like the NHL might have a problem with that.

Maybe a trade for Vrana!
Multiple steps to process including:
1. Send through waivers for anyone to claim. It’s not that he isn’t worth it for free. He carries a 7.8M cap hit
2. Start building value in Hershey
3. could be traded with Caps retaining but he will have cleared waivers so another team can keep him in AHL and call-up if needed/wanted
4. Since he has been waived, it could also lead to mutual termination of contract allowing Kuzy to sign wherever he is wanted (another NHL team for a different salary / cap hit or KHL or wherever

Regardless, starting with waivers opens up a lot of conversations on both sides. So yeah, it’s a process. And while AHL has a roster freeze for playoffs, the NHL does not. So he could terminate his contract anytime and join a new team and that can happen past the TDL.

My guess is Team Kuzy won’t terminate the contract until they have something else lined up. So take down that caps cash until offers come in and then make a decision.

I suspect this will take some time and we won’t get further cap relief until draft time.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Multiple steps to process including:
1. Send through waivers for anyone to claim. It’s not that he isn’t worth it for free. He carries a 7.8M cap hit
2. Start building value in Hershey
3. could be traded with Caps retaining but he will have cleared waivers so another team can keep him in AHL and call-up if needed/wanted
4. Since he has been waived, it could also lead to mutual termination of contract allowing Kuzy to sign wherever he is wanted (another NHL team for a different salary / cap hit or KHL or wherever

Regardless, starting with waivers opens up a lot of conversations on both sides. So yeah, it’s a process. And while AHL has a roster freeze for playoffs, the NHL does not. So he could terminate his contract anytime and join a new team and that can happen past the TDL.

My guess is Team Kuzy won’t terminate the contract until they have something else lined up. So take down that caps cash until offers come in and then make a decision.

I suspect this will take some time and we won’t get further cap relief until draft time.
That kind of goes to what I originally wrote - I get all of that. But the start of the process implies that there will be an end result and I don't really see any end result other than waiting it out until the end of next season, or at the very least next TDL some contender calls.

I think everyone on this board, hell every Caps fan probably, was hopeful that Kuzy got claimed it was the best case scenario, but it was never going to happen now. So lets fast forward a month and Kuzy is Alex Giroux down there lighting it up, even if he is called up nobody will claim him. 16 teams will be strapped up against the salary cap going into the playoffs, another 6 or so will also be too close to the Cap. So that leaves you 10 teams maybe, but why would any young team want Kuzy around their players, so really you have like maybe Nashville (which actually makes sense) to claim him on the way back up.

Fast forward to the offseason, nobody is paying Kuzy's cap hit next year, why would they. He's a league minimum player at this point. So even at full retention Caps have to add a pick. Monahan had a 1st included to dump him. No way Caps can afford that, maybe a second from 2025 but not sure that is enough. No seconds this year, can't give up a 3rd based on that.

I've heard everyone say terminate the contract, I just don't think it is that simple, the NHL and NHLPA have standards, you can't terminate the contract because you don't want to stay in the organization and Kuzy is in a tough spot to even do that with his current/history with the league. Stay in Russia, ok when you come back you still ahve a year with the Caps. It is a horrible precedence to set and the league will not allow it.

All of this to again say...what is the process? Because it all points to another season of Kuzy in the organization

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That kind of goes to what I originally wrote - I get all of that. But the start of the process implies that there will be an end result and I don't really see any end result other than waiting it out until the end of next season, or at the very least next TDL some contender calls.

I think everyone on this board, hell every Caps fan probably, was hopeful that Kuzy got claimed it was the best case scenario, but it was never going to happen now. So lets fast forward a month and Kuzy is Alex Giroux down there lighting it up, even if he is called up nobody will claim him. 16 teams will be strapped up against the salary cap going into the playoffs, another 6 or so will also be too close to the Cap. So that leaves you 10 teams maybe, but why would any young team want Kuzy around their players, so really you have like maybe Nashville (which actually makes sense) to claim him on the way back up.

Fast forward to the offseason, nobody is paying Kuzy's cap hit next year, why would they. He's a league minimum player at this point. So even at full retention Caps have to add a pick. Monahan had a 1st included to dump him. No way Caps can afford that, maybe a second from 2025 but not sure that is enough. No seconds this year, can't give up a 3rd based on that.

I've heard everyone say terminate the contract, I just don't think it is that simple, the NHL and NHLPA have standards, you can't terminate the contract because you don't want to stay in the organization and Kuzy is in a tough spot to even do that with his current/history with the league. Stay in Russia, ok when you come back you still ahve a year with the Caps. It is a horrible precedence to set and the league will not allow it.

All of this to again say...what is the process? Because it all points to another season of Kuzy in the organization
I think you might be expecting too much.

Technically, Kuznetsov couldn’t talk to other teams. Now that’s he’s been waived, I believe that allows more open communication from other teams, which would thus allow him to possibly get an idea of what another team might offer him, were he to void his current contract.

Say someone like Nashville would give him 1yr at 4m (I’m just making this up). He’s know he can get that, so he may then terminate his contract.

I don’t think any of that is possible, unless the Caps waive him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Pretty sure contracts can be terminated with mutual agreement if the player clears waivers. I’ve always thought that, loan, or eventual buyout were the options forward (that GMBM was likely referring to).

He knew nobody was claiming, nobody was trading for him, and IMO, the Caps are permanently done with him….there’s no path back today.

I think you might be expecting too much.

Technically, Kuznetsov couldn’t talk to other teams. Now that’s he’s been waived, I believe that allows more open communication from other teams, which would thus allow him to possibly get an idea of what another team might offer him, were he to void his current contract.

Say someone like Nashville would give him 1yr at 4m (I’m just making this up). He’s know he can get that, so he may then terminate his contract.

I don’t think any of that is possible, unless the Caps waive him.
I’d like some verification on that…he’s still under contract…

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The only way any team might want him is if he showed up, played really well, and got the ball rolling to look like he could help someone.

Or decided he was leaving for Russia. There's likely too much money on the table to just takeoff and leave nearly 8 million there...

Maybe there's a world where he goes to Hershey, puts in a ton of work, and a team is willing to take him next season. I don't really think that's likely, but if the Caps aren't going to play him here, it's likely a game of chicken for both sides. Maybe the Caps decide to buy him out next season (I doubt it).

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

posted in hershey thread. but how is he cleared from the program but cant play?

Can practice but can't play. It's probably to let guys gradually get back to action and game shape. And make sure they're still OK being out there.

I doubt he travels with the team any time soon. He may just stay local and practice with them. Maybe only play home games if any.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Maybe a trade for Vrana!
Ted only did it with Ben Clymer(small beans) and Jeff Schultz with one year left on his contract.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
The only way any team might want him is if he showed up, played really well, and got the ball rolling to look like he could help someone.

Or decided he was leaving for Russia. There's likely too much money on the table to just takeoff and leave nearly 8 million there...

Maybe there's a world where he goes to Hershey, puts in a ton of work, and a team is willing to take him next season. I don't really think that's likely, but if the Caps aren't going to play him here, it's likely a game of chicken for both sides. Maybe the Caps decide to buy him out next season (I doubt it).
Which again to my point - what is the start of the process then?
Ted only did it with Ben Clymer(small beans) and Jeff Schultz with one year left on his contract.
Wasn't Schultz a compliance buyout too so no long term repercussions. Caps will have the cap space next year why buy him out and have 3.8 and 2 on the cap vs 6.6 in the AHL. Leonsis has no history of paying dead cap space hell he even hates firing coaches.

Broken record - what is the start of the process if the end is just Kuzy sitting around finishing out the deal and hitting FA or Russia?

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think its possible he plays in Hershey, gets in shape and then maybe isnt traded in Summer (for various reasons). Wont sign in Saint-Petersburg too.

Then he's there in the camp next September. Who knows what he will be like then.

50% retained one season left is not that big of a deal to dump IF he's looking like NHL player.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think its possible he plays in Hershey, gets in shape and then maybe isnt traded in Summer (for various reasons). Wont sign in Saint-Petersburg too.

Then he's there in the camp next September. Who knows what he will be like then.

50% retained one season left is not that big of a deal to dump IF he's looking like NHL player.
I think Kuzy wants to move on though. Been asking for it for 2-3 years. So i don’t think there is any looking at it in offseason.

Probably second worst outcome is we buy him out. Worst case is if we trade assets and retain to move him. Buyout is better than that.

Best case scenario is he lines up another NHL deal which lessens his financial loss but he gets out and makes some money back on mutual termination. That can happen this year and past the TDL which also helps.

One thing from @CapitalsCupReality is a second waiver process is required for termination. I think that was negotiated by the NHLPA to give players one last chance to keep their contract.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad