Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov waived/placed on waivers (Update: 3/3/24 clears waivers, assigned to AHL Hershey)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I thought you cant just terminate contract if the player is healthy and reports, and actually plays in Hershey.

So its either trade of buyout if club doesnt want him to be around. Nevermind what Kuzy wants, other NHL team could just pass.

I mean, if he doesnt play in Hershey, who will sign him in the NHL? No team is my guess.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I thought you cant just terminate contract if the player is healthy and reports, and actually plays in Hershey.

So its either trade of buyout if club doesnt want him to be around. Nevermind what Kuzy wants, other NHL team could just pass.

I mean, if he doesnt play in Hershey, who will sign him in the NHL? No team is my guess.
Google it….apparently the player and the team can agree to terminate it after clearing waivers….not much more details I can find on it…

He's done as a Capital. That's the whole point of this. He wants out
Put a fork in him….

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

the terminology is mutual termination of contract. Most players don’t want to do it because they forfeit the contract and guaranteed money. But sometimes they are willing to do it. In this case Kuzy wants out so he has to give a concession.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This whole thing is so f***ed.

Do the right thing EK, and mutually agree to term the contract after this season. You’ve been milking the teet — a LOT — these past few years. Be happy you’ve been paid, make amends (as traditionally is a significant part of getting sober), and fully cut bait.

Then Vaya Con Dios.

Reactions: RedRocking

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Heshey is a change of scenery. Its 127 miles between, new coach and new grind. And theres choklad bars and playoffs hockey.

Who knows, it might do him good. Im not totally opposite on having him back if he turns it around and comes knocking on door with a hat in his hand (and 2PPG and thousands of bus-miles with the Bears). He is a rascal and a pain in the ass, but he is our pain in the ass. And it would make a great comeback story.

But thats unlikely. We've propably seen the last of Kuzy with the Caps. Hearing the rumours coming out how toxic he (well, not he as a person, but his habits) in fact was, and how "everyone knew" and in that case everyone looked elsewhere and allowed it happen, theres a lot of things gone badly wrong there and a lot of history to get over by.

Id go far enough to put a lot of blame for our hockey ops if its true what Kempny said on the telly. Overlooking breaking the team rules and actual laws in general just because you are doing great on ice is exactly the kind of culture you dont want to build. If they knew they should have put a stop on it long long time ago. Maybe things go different with some other guys besides just Kuzy aswell, guys like Vrana and Samsonov at least feel a bit of like casualties of this kind of culture.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Heshey is a change of scenery. Its 127 miles between, new coach and new grind. And theres choklad bars and playoffs hockey.

Who knows, it might do him good. Im not totally opposite on having him back if he turns it around and comes knocking on door with a hat in his hand (and 2PPG and thousands of bus-miles with the Bears). He is a rascal and a pain in the ass, but he is our pain in the ass. And it would make a great comeback story.

But thats unlikely. We've propably seen the last of Kuzy with the Caps. Hearing the rumours coming out how toxic he (well, not he as a person, but his habits) in fact was, and how "everyone knew" and in that case everyone looked elsewhere and allowed it happen, theres a lot of things gone badly wrong there and a lot of history to get over by.

Id go far enough to put a lot of blame for our hockey ops if its true what Kempny said on the telly. Overlooking breaking the team rules and actual laws in general just because you are doing great on ice is exactly the kind of culture you dont want to build. If they knew they should have put a stop on it long long time ago. Maybe things go different with some other guys besides just Kuzy aswell, guys like Vrana and Samsonov at least feel a bit of like casualties of this kind of culture.

I don't see how the team overlooked the rules for Kuzy in some negligent manner. He was punished repeatedly, by the league, by the IIHL, and by the team (remember showing up late for practice, getting busted breaking hotel room rules, etc).

You can't just "put a stop" to someone who has a problem like this, especially as an employer. Your options are limited legally, and you can't monitor someone 24/7 to make sure they're not taking a split second to put something up their nose.

It's possible his tendency to blame the organization might have actually prolonged his problems, and increased the rift between them.

Kuzy has himself to blame for his situation. The sooner he takes responsibility the sooner he can begin repairing the damage.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I don't see how the team overlooked the rules for Kuzy in some negligent manner. He was punished repeatedly, by the league, by the IIHL, and by the team (remember showing up late for practice, getting busted breaking hotel room rules, etc).

You can't just "put a stop" to someone who has a problem like this, especially as an employer. Your options are limited legally, and you can't monitor someone 24/7 to make sure they're not taking a split second to put something up their nose.

It's possible his tendency to blame the organization might have actually prolonged his problems, and increased the rift between them.

Kuzy has himself to blame for his situation. The sooner he takes responsibility the sooner he can begin repairing the damage.

Team punished him first time if I remember correctly, around 2019 when the video of him next to cocaine in a hotel room spread out. After that it has been downhill, and the team has been onto him about it, sure. But to think that was the first time, isnt very viable. Most of the times its been long way on the path to go as far to get caught red (or white) nosed like that.

Recently Kempny rounded in his TV appearance, that "it was happening behind closed doors, but everyone basically knew" already in the midst of our cup run, and to speculate from that noone really took it to their matter because he was doing so good on ice and didnt seem to effect his performance, well thats a different thing. I really take onto the "everyone knew" afterthought. That means atleast a good punch of people in the organization has been aware, letting it go down, and just waiting for the car crash to happen. Players, coaches?, personnel?.

We know atleast couple younger guys who were close with Kuzy here has gone downhill too. Guys who were looking up to Kuzy, while "everyone knew".

But its just rumours and speculation so obviously its not smart to jump into conclusions. Kempny might have not meant it that way. Or as 'the dude' would say; that could be just, like, his opinion. But still, a well liked core player out of that close knit group coming out like that rises questions.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Team punished him first time if I remember correctly, around 2019 when the video of him next to cocaine in a hotel room spread out. After that it has been downhill, and the team has been onto him about it, sure. But to think that was the first time, isnt very viable. Most of the times its been long way on the path to go as far to get caught red (or white) nosed like that.

Recently Kempny rounded in his TV appearance, that "it was happening behind closed doors, but everyone basically knew" already in the midst of our cup run, and to speculate from that noone really took it to their matter because he was doing so good on ice and didnt seem to effect his performance, well thats a different thing. I really take onto the "everyone knew" afterthought. That means atleast a good punch of people in the organization has been aware, letting it go down, and just waiting for the car crash to happen. Players, coaches?, personnel?.

We know atleast couple younger guys who were close with Kuzy here has gone downhill too. Guys who were looking up to Kuzy, while "everyone knew".

But its just rumours and speculation so obviously its not smart to jump into conclusions. Kempny might have not meant it that way. Or as 'the dude' would say; that could be just, like, his opinion. But still, a well liked core player out of that close knit group coming out like that rises questions.

Yes you're right, it's hearsay and not real evidence that an employer could use in a meaningful way.

I'm guessing friends and family tried talking to him many times before he was put in the program repeatedly. Things like this usually don't just spiral out of control with no input from people in proximity.

And the team did punish him a few other times as I said. Remember when he and Sammy were getting into trouble repeatedly? That probably wasn't JUST about showing up late for a meeting or practice here and there, and just because we know about those times doesn't mean they were the only efforts the team took to remedy the situation.

What do you think the Caps should have done? Force him into rehab?

Reactions: Roshi

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
If everyone knew, why would youngsters be looking up to him?

One of the best players in the league (at the time), who is fun to be around with laid-back personality, makes millions and parties like theres no tomorrow. "Birdies", cocaine and stanley cup rings.

Yeah, I wonder why any youngster would be into that kind of things :)

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yes you're right, it's hearsay and not real evidence that an employer could use in a meaningful way.

I'm guessing friends and family tried talking to him many times before he was put in the program repeatedly. Things like this usually don't just spiral out of control with no input from people in proximity.

And the team did punish him a few other times as I said. Remember when he and Sammy were getting into trouble repeatedly? That probably wasn't JUST about showing up late for a meeting or practice here and there, and just because we know about those times doesn't mean they were the only efforts the team took to remedy the situation.

What do you think the Caps should have done? Force him into rehab?

I agree, and im going way off with the speculation here, and Ill put end to it after this one as these things tend to escalate aswell :)

Your guess could very well be correct, and I do hope that my speculation is jumping things that really arent there. Just connecting all the dots draws a certain picture that worries me, as someone whos seen his own share of the topic. It might be nothing though, or atleast not nothing, but not anything more than its reported out in legit ways.

And as for what Caps should have done. I dont know. Every case is its own. What could they have done, I dont know either. All I can say is that I hope they did something, if "everyone knew".

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree, and im going way off with the speculation here, and Ill put end to it after this one as these things tend to escalate aswell :)

Your guess could very well be correct, and I do hope that my speculation is jumping things that really arent there. Just connecting all the dots draws a certain picture that worries me, as someone whos seen his own share of the topic. It might be nothing though, or atleast not nothing, but not anything more than its reported out in legit ways.

And as for what Caps should have done. I dont know. Every case is its own. What could they have done, I dont know either. All I can say is that I hope they did something, if "everyone knew".

Understood. I just wouldn't put too much stock in the "everyone knew" phrase. It's thrown about pretty casually and from I understand that interview was a translation of a translation so could mean something slightly different.

To easy to read "everyone knew" and expand that to the worst, and then add on "and did nothing".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Probably because he was fun to party with.
Not a reason to look up to someone, but sure.

One of the best players in the league (at the time), who is fun to be around with laid-back personality, makes millions and parties like theres no tomorrow. "Birdies", cocaine and stanley cup rings.

Yeah, I wonder why any youngster would be into that kind of things :)
These are professional athletes….guys that are used to leading and living a structured life…..not dumb shit teens off the street.

I can’t imagine any guys idolizing Kuzy if they all really knew what he had going on….hell AA went against his advice and resigned here…

Reactions: Calicaps

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Not a reason to look up to someone, but sure.

These are professional athletes….guys that are used to leading and living a structured life…..not dumb shit teens off the street.

I can’t imagine any guys idolizing Kuzy if they all really knew what he had going on….hell AA went against his advice and resigned here…

These are also guys in their early 20s suddenly getting money and ”opportunities” most can never dream of, used to someone else taking care of things for them.

Some will look up to wrong persons and do dumb shit, some wont. Thats the part where i hope ”everyone knew it” isnt the case, because thats a case sort of silent approval IF it gets overlooked (which i dont know happenef), and the young guys see it too.

Im close to my 40s with pretty structured life and still occasionally doing dumb shit lol.

But as i said having a little back and forth with g00n, at this point im just speculating on rumours and jumping onto conclusions on a topic that im a bit ”emotionally” invested on so its a conversation not worth having. I have no real knowledge whats happened on the saga so its just some dumb shit on its own to throw this sort of speculation carelessly around. I sincerely apologize and step back on it :)

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
the terminology is mutual termination of contract. Most players don’t want to do it because they forfeit the contract and guaranteed money. But sometimes they are willing to do it. In this case Kuzy wants out so he has to give a concession.
Kuzy would be giving up $6M if he agrees to a mutual termination of contract ($8M if it happens before his $2M signing bonus is applied at the start of the new league calendar).

Unlikely he would be able to get a $6M+ contract from any other NHL or KHL team (top guys in the KHL are only making around $1.5M USD with the current exchange rates).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad