Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov waived/placed on waivers (Update: 3/3/24 clears waivers, assigned to AHL Hershey)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We need a certified capologist to explain the scenarios here.

Kuzy is waived, clears, doesn't report. Contract terminated? No cap hit?

Kuzy is waived, clears, reports. No cap hit? Still gets full NHL salary in Hershey?

etc

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

Kuzy is waived, clears, reports. No cap hit? Still gets full NHL salary in Hershey?

etc
If Kuzy gets claimed, he’s 100% off the books.
If he clears and is sent to Hershey, his entire cap hit remains except for league minimum + $375,000
If his contract is terminated then in theory there’s no cap hit, although if there’s a grievance it can all get rather messy.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

etc

etc
Anything above 1.075 mil is against the cap. So he would have about a 6.7 mil cap hit for caps while playing in ahl

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Also worth pointing out he can’t be bought out until the off season. For his contract to be terminated (mutually or not) he would need to go on unconditional waivers and clear, which is different to ‘normal’ waivers.

Reactions: DWGie26 and g00n

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
From Cap perspective here is what i understand:

* if claimed, the claiming team assumes all contractual obligations
* if sent to Hershey we can bury 1.1M (doesn’t matter if he reports or not) - essentially 6.7M will be dead money (you will see it on CapFriendly)
* if he does not report, Caps can suspend him without pay - not sure if we then are off hook for all of Kuzy cap or only 1.1M.
* mutual termination of contract means we no longer pay (or take cap hit) and kuzy becomes a FA to sign with whomever, wherever
- If today Kuzy will give up about 9M
- If offseason, after he gets paid his $2M signing bonus on July 1, he forfeits $6M salary for next year
* we can also loan Kuzy to KHL but i don’t think there is any Cap benefit to us

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks. Figured there was no way AHL teams would be on the hook for big NHL contracts in full.

Sounds like the Caps are likely to save a little cap but not all of it this season. Unless someone claims him which seems unlikely.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Damn, surprised this Kempny interview hadn't propped up from him. Dunno how true the translations are but yeesh.

1709409517250.png

1709409503349.png

• Wow
Reactions: Devil Dancer

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

"I don't know that they wanted it...this is a means to accomplish what they want"

gmbm on Kuzy's camp

only the first 4 or so min are about Kuzy

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
If unclaimed, you can find 2 trading parties to retain part of his salary. I guess team that will land Kuznetsov will want him at a discount price of 25%, additional party will pay the other 25% with a possible pick going their way, you will have to add a pick to the party taking him and retain 50% in 2025... it's a cap dump which comes with a cost- unfortunately.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
If unclaimed, you can find 2 trading parties to retain part of his salary. I guess team that will land Kuznetsov will want him at a discount price of 25%, additional party will pay the other 25% with a possible pick going their way, you will have to add a pick to the party taking him and retain 50% in 2025... it's a cap dump which comes with a cost- unfortunately.
Send him to Hershey and when he doesn’t report, challenge the status of his contract. Don’t move assets to move Kuzy. If he wants out, leave.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Def was not expecting this. Would be great if another team picks him up, though I doubt that happens. If not things might get real messy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As soon as I saw the pepsi clip with his legs on both sides of the table I knew he was in trouble. He had a big hand in our cup. Bye bye birdie. Hello KHL.
1709416420923.gif

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Caps dropped the hammer, now it’s on Kuzy to decide to report or not.

Primary outcome, terminate contract, part ways.

I could also see a KHL loan if that’s a possibility.

Requisite for posterity and his KHL resume

Maybe the second most important goal in franchise history….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad