Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov waived/placed on waivers (Update: 3/3/24 clears waivers, assigned to AHL Hershey)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I really don't see a reason to spend multiple assets trying to get rid of Kuznetsov's contract. It would not be cheap, they are not cap-strapped, draft picks are some of their most valuable assets, there's no big free agent to sign. If he's not claimed and is not interested in contract termination, just eat that cap hit for the next season. Maybe it would even help if they have to fully tank next year.
They don’t need the Kuzy that exists today. No “fully tank” is required to rid ourselves of him…his roster spot is filled as far as I’m concerned.

If he really wants to move on….termination incoming….otherwise, he’ll be in Hershey for a while….

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Will he report to Hershey?
that's the big question, will he be too proud to go the AHL or will he suck it up and be a pro

it'd be pretty dumb to not report as he just needs to do that to finish out the last 2 months for another 2M in salary
(maybe Hershey just benches him and he can get gold-plated nachos the rest of the way and get tattoos every other day)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Will he report to Hershey?
that's the big question, will he be too proud to go the AHL or will he suck it up and be a pro

it'd be pretty dumb to not report as he just needs to do that to finish out the last 2 months for another 2M in salary
(maybe Hershey just benches him and he can get gold-plated nachos the rest of the way and get tattoos every other day)
You know GMBM is hoping he doesn’t report….if he’s that miserable, I see him having the mentality that “I have enough $” and ejecting….

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Nobody is going to claim him. Trade at 50% could happen if we take a cap dump.

:sharks Kuzy + pick (3rd) For Labanc?

:avs RyJo for Kuzy @ 50%. Pick(s) to balance?

:wings Petry + pick for Kuz @ 50?

:habs Kuzy (50%) for Armia?

Athanasiou?

Dvorak?

Not many options... Labanc is the only one of those who is 2024 UFA. Rest are 2025 UFA's like Kuzy. I don't think Caps are paying much asset wise to drop him. Either a cheap trade like that where you get overpaid player back or a buy-out. Perhaps there is a team that hopes to pull a Monahan with him given it's not a big risk.
Colorado and Detroit may be hesitant after their recent experiences with Nichuskin and Vrana.

Montreal does like their Russians, but Armia's a Fin so that could be a stopper for the Caps right there. :sarcasm:

The SJ one is a good one as long as the 3rd is Boston's in this year's draft which translates most likely as a pick in the 90s.

On a side note, since both Vrana and Kuzy have done a downward spiral, anyone know what their relationship may have been both on and off the ice. I do remember during games where you could see Kuznetsov verbally berating Vrana when they were on the bench.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
My guess is that they don't want to retain, I have to imagine they could've made a (bad) deal by now if they did.

It is possible that another team is interested but want him to be in the AHL to start, and want the Caps to deal with the waivers. (Have to imagine if he has a $3.9M cap hit and goes through waivers another team might be more tempted to claim him than at a $7.8M cap hit.)

I still haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether they can terminate his contract if he refuses the Hershey assignment. I know they can suspend him, but that doesn't resolve the contract situation and may not allow him to play overseas given transfer agreements, whatever the 'agreement' is between the NHL and other leagues to honor each others' contracts. (Maybe the KHL is excluded? Dunno, spitballing here.)

And ... Yeah. Such a shame. One of the most pure talented players to come through DC in the entire history of the franchise.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s really rather depressing, on further reflection.

It’s all so backwards for me, especially in light of Backstrom’s woes. It should be reversed here. Kuznetsov should’ve had Backstrom’s injury troubles, and Nick should’ve been able to “healthily” ride off into the sunset w Ovechkin.

We all got screwed by the hockey gods, if you really look at it all. And that’s not even discussing Oshie. Another player who we’d give our eye teeth for, to have a healthy body.

2 of our all time warriors cannot play, and 1 of our all time talents doesn’t want to play.

Life, eh?

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I could see him toughing it out and reporting to Hershey for the rest of this season. It would be interesting if they would even dress him though with all his baggage.

If he/Caps haven’t found a new spot for him next season though I can’t see him reporting to Hershey.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
On one side Kuzy's been able to have his Hockey dreams come true, win the Cup, get rich, and have a family

I can only assume he's feeling some shame/embarrassment over how his career and specifically the last several weeks have developed

But seems like he's always treated hockey like a game, something to be enjoyed and not taken too serious, a bit parallel to Semin's time here, where they've got all the skill in the world, but maybe see hockey as a means to getting the big paycheck so they can have family wealth for possibly generations; I can't really fault him for that (tho' would've been nice to have known his effort would be such an issue the last few years before that contract)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why on earth would any team do more than give him a shot once he’s a UFA? He’ll probably be lucky to get that in the NHL.

Nobody is claiming him.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Thanks Mods. You know you can always DM me and tell me what problem you had with my adverse opinions with the Kuzybirb. Still, F that dude...and the norovirus.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Locker just said Kuzy does intend to report to Hershey if he clears today at 2pm, and will be there I think by tomorrow. Clearly won't play for them today, next game is Friday.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Locker just said Kuzy does intend to report to Hershey if he clears today at 2pm, and will be there I think by tomorrow. Clearly won't play for them today, next game is Friday.
If he and his agent didn’t expect this, makes sense to report and give yourself some time to figure out options, start calling KHL teams…

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If he and his agent didn’t expect this, makes sense to report and give yourself some time to figure out options, start calling KHL teams…
Kuzy asked for a change of scenery according to GMBM. Said he probably didn’t want to get waived but this is part of the process to get him a new scenery change. Should know in 2 minutes.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Now he'll refuse to report, caps can suspend and terminate him and he can go seek another opportunity in the NHL or KHL. It's all just a charade.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wonder if BUF, ANA, or CHI thought about claiming him to then flip for assets with retention. Feel like if there was a market for even that, they might have considered it. This is going to drag out for a while.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
He will report and poison Hershey. He isn't walking away from the last $10M he'll make in hockey. The KHL pays terrible these days. He would likely only get a couple hundred thousand. He'll go the chocolate town and likely be a malcontent there for the next 13 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad