Value of: Kuznetsov to Minnesota

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, he could be good with Kaprizov, and I doubt Washington is a serious contender anytime soon. They actually need a rebuild, but with Ovi still there, it's a hard task. Still, Capitals should think about it.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think, he could be good with Kaprizov, and I doubt Washington is a serious contender anytime soon. They actually need a rebuild, but with Ovi still there, it's a hard task. Still, Capitals should think about it.

Eh, Washington has the pieces to make another cup run any year. If Kuznetsov's moved (highly unlikely but not impossible), it won't be for futures.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You don’t think the Caps are a contender this year?

Reactions: Morrison

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Washington is more likely to contend than Minnesota this season or next for that matter. They actually have a very deep roster. Only issue is they are pretty green in net but Samsonov has sky high potential. The premise if this makes little sense.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Washington is more likely to contend than Minnesota this season or next for that matter. They actually have a very deep roster. Only issue is they are pretty green in net but Samsonov has sky high potential. The premise if this makes little sense.

Even in its current form, with not enough good forwards Minnesota could beat Washington in playoffs, because it has good defense and goaltending and its core is way younger and grittier, which is important in playoff games.

Ovi is 36, Oshie is 34, Backstrom is 33. Even if they don't look terrible this season (they will never beat Boston or Tampa, or even Toronto in 7 game series, though), what about next season?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Sure, take him.

Caps is looking to content again obviously, more than Minny, but I like our chances better without Kuznetsov.

Id like to have Pens 1st, just so we can throw it in their faces on the game threads if we ever win them again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Even in its current form, with not enough good forwards Minnesota could beat Washington in playoffs, because it has good defense and goaltending and its core is way younger and grittier, which is important in playoff games.

Ovi is 36, Oshie is 34, Backstrom is 33. Even if they don't look terrible this season (they will never beat Boston or Tampa, or even Toronto in 7 game series, though), what about next season?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm not sure what you're basing yours on. Washington is one of the better teams in the league at suppressing high quality scoring chances but have been undone defensively by poor goaltending, which is not altogether surprising considering Vanecek started 12 straight games and he was billed for the taxi squad this year before the health condition with Hank and Samsonov coming down with Covid. And regardless of age, Washington still is one of the best finishing teams in the league.

I would be fine trading Kuznetsov but I don't see an attractive package that Minnesota could offer to make me consider moving him there.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Idk Kuznetsov isn't a 1C and isn't great in the FO. Would need to be Dumba+another cap dump to make it work money wise. Something like Dumba+(Bjugstad/Bonino)+3rd or something like that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m not sure exactly what Washington would want, but I’d do Dumba + Pitt 1st + Bonino
That's not the worst offer. We could retain a bit on Bonino to make salaries synch up. I'm guessing that WAS would want someone like Greenway or JEE rather than Bonino, but that's a non starter for me.

If WAS wants a goalie, then Talbot is a decent 1B/backup. I don't know if i agree with the general premise of the OP, though. I think WAS still has a chance at a Cup. Backstrom is playing his ass off this year. Seems like a year or two too early to pack it in.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Did they say Dumba+1st? Where do we sign? Gotta get it done before they see Kuznetsov play hockey in 2021.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That's not the worst offer. We could retain a bit on Bonino to make salaries synch up. I'm guessing that WAS would want someone like Greenway or JEE rather than Bonino, but that's a non starter for me.

If WAS wants a goalie, then Talbot is a decent 1B/backup. I don't know if i agree with the general premise of the OP, though. I think WAS still has a chance at a Cup. Backstrom is playing his ass off this year. Seems like a year or two too early to pack it in.
I think that’s pretty fair value. He’s been a great player but there is defensive risk with the deal. The last thing we need is for him to mail it in and we’re stuck in a Johansen situation. I’ve watched a fair amount of the capitals games this year (all against Pitt) and he’s been a little bit invisible at times, but the skill is still there. I think using tape on his stick might help.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe stick him on a line with KK and Greenway, who can provide the defense and shake some pucks loose for those two to play with. Kinda hate to break up the Fiala/JEE/Greenway line, but Zuccarello is probably not going to be a good fit.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Some of these Minny fans are delusional.

And no...we don’t need Dumba. If Kuzy were traded it would most likely be for a young forward +.
There's exactly 1 Wild fan in this thread with what could be called a bad take. Most seem to like Kuznetsov more than the Caps fans.

And yes, you could certainly use Dumba. That dcore is awful right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad