Around the league part 2

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What a f***ing joke the Kings are. Hes absolutely right. It was so embarrassing because in game 4 and 5 McDavid stopped trying.

Can you imagine how bad a team must be playing where their best player knows he can take these games off during the playoffs ? that shit was so embarassing. After he tied lemiuexs record or beat it during game 1 for the amount of points he recorded in one game.

Luc “the game was right there”. You have to be on crack to even say something that stupid. If you’re out in 5 then it was never close
That's just it, usually if I hear a comment like that about the kings I would be a little ticked off. However, Hyman was bang on. Even if he did not mean it like that (which I do not think he did) its turth

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That's just it, usually if I hear a comment like that about the kings I would be a little ticked off. However, Hyman was bang on. Even if he did not mean it like that (which I do not think he did) its turth
Our team became a pariah/laughing stock over the last year.

That's cool, no reason to address it because it was done with passion and integrity.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Sportsnet had a clip of an interview with Hyman before the game yesterday. they asked him about the second round and he said something to the effect of, "be nice to play some tougher competition". He was not wrong.
If that doesn't piss off or motivate anyone on the Kings I don't know what will, bunch of laissez faire millionaire athletes. The leadership group in the room needs to set the precedent but just won't for some reason. Everyone is far too laid back, seems like Englund does most of the rough stuff which isn't going to f***ing cut it.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Butcher

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Both Vancouver and Edmonton are bad teams. One is getting an undeserved trip to the WCF because of the god awful seeding system.
1-8 seeding first round
1 vs 8 Dallas vs Vegas
2 vs 7 Winnipeg vs LA
3 vs 6 Vancouver vs Nashville
4 vs 5 Colorado vs Edmonton

Second Round ( assume home team wins )
1 vs 4 Dallas vs Colorado (same as now)
2 vs 3 Winnipeg vs Vancouver ( is that much different than Vancouver vs Edmonton?)

Seeding system really doesn't have much affect this year.

Reactions: YP44

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
1-8 seeding first round
1 vs 8 Dallas vs Vegas
2 vs 7 Winnipeg vs LA
3 vs 6 Vancouver vs Nashville
4 vs 5 Colorado vs Edmonton

Second Round ( assume home team wins )
1 vs 4 Dallas vs Colorado (same as now)
2 vs 3 Winnipeg vs Vancouver ( is that much different than Vancouver vs Edmonton?)

Seeding system really doesn't have much affect this year.
And yet in your example there are 3 Central teams and one Pacific team instead of 2 and 2. That's exactly KP's point. A weaker Pacific team is garenteed a WCF berth because of the wonky seeding.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Our team became a pariah/laughing stock over the last year.

That's cool, no reason to address it because it was done with passion and integrity.
It doesn’t matter, Luc and Rob are just smarter than everyone else. You just know in that front office there’s an attitude of “we like being the underdog” and “LA vs everybody”. They can’t see that everyone else is laughing at them not with them.

Reactions: tigermask48

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah that's my concern with it. The most recent kits especially are so clean, and I actually like the chrome domes, too

But it's the f*** off attitude towards the purple and gold that are the best 3rds...like, ever. They made them impossible to get and customize and then were like 'yeah fan response sucked ANYWAY here's another black and white jersey, never mind that we can't get rid of an entire rack of Petersen whites"
You like this crap?

images
61HYlQjjr1L.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haha come on Canucks fans, it's game 1, a barely-tangentially-related thread on a barely-related-team's board. and a fairly innocuous comment, but the reactions to the post and my DMs lighting up like a christmas tree are only validating what I said. Don't blow your wad on the first game.

If we responded like that to all the motherf***ing you guys did in the regular season we'd all be infracted right off our own board

You like this crap?

images
61HYlQjjr1L.jpg

I WISH they had red visors! :laugh:

Could probably sneak them in without Luc's colorblind ass seeing them anyway

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Looked like a hit to the head from Benn to me. Hard to tell what is a penalty anymore.

What a strange league this is.
Hit shoulder first then bounced off that and hit his head.. so I assume the thinking was head not primary area of contact..after that another star drove by and accidentally jammed toews head .. so he got two nasty tweaks in the same play

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Looked like a hit to the head from Benn to me. Hard to tell what is a penalty anymore.

A lot of friends have stopped watching these playoffs because the reffing has ruined it. Casual and serious fans in different places with no skin in the game not even rooting for anyone in particular.
Its just out of hand reffing for no reason.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Benn trucked Toews.. and Manson has spent the entire 3rd trying to destoy Benn.. got him once pretty good.. even the intermission mouth pieces said a response is needed. Kings only team that doesnt seem to have those values.

Reactions: Omni Owl

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
A lot of friends have stopped watching these playoffs because the reffing has ruined it. Casual and serious fans in different places with no skin in the game not even rooting for anyone in particular.
Its just out of hand reffing for no reason.
This league absolutely has an officiating issue that needs to be addressed, there's been so many atrocious calls this whole year. The game is way too fast for these guys to call anything with the naked eye. Either make penalties reviewable after the call or have an extra official in the scorebox reviewing everything on video to make sure they get it right. And this is coming from someone who doesn't bet on the games.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The coaching carousel always boggles my mind. Fail in one place only to be the savior in another place.

I don’t know what to think about Hiller honestly. He seemed touted and fixed the pp last year but regressed this year. (Personnel?)

If Sturm wins the Calder does he get promoted?

Reactions: Schrute farms

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
The coaching carousel always boggles my mind. Fail in one place only to be the savior in another place.

I don’t know what to think about Hiller honestly. He seemed touted and fixed the pp last year but regressed this year. (Personnel?)

If Sturm wins the Calder does he get promoted?
I think Sturm could be a possible candidate if Blake does think some of the kids will be injected into the lineup. Its the same rumor for the Kraken. With Hakstol gone and the speculation is Bylsma will get the job since 4 Firebirds are likely slotted for the big club.

Reactions: LAKings88

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

This is been a problem for the Hurricanes for a while. A lot like the Kings. Consistently outshoot the opponent, but mediocre PDO.

Hurricanes have the highest shots for % in the league this season and for the past three seasons combined. Kings are in the top 5. Over a long season you can compensate for a mediocre PDO by outshooting your opponent, but it doesn't work well during a best-of-seven series.

The team with the better PDO almost always wins a series. Sucks, because the Hurricanes are my second favorite team.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Only argument that could be made is that it was charging due to the strides taken into the hit and not because his skate came off the ice after the hit. They never call that though except for that hit during the bubble playoffs that killed that kid on Montreal (still a horrible call).

I liked it. Benn is a beauty. Best team he has ever been on and he can taste it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This is been a problem for the Hurricanes for a while. A lot like the Kings. Consistently outshoot the opponent, but mediocre PDO.

Hurricanes have the highest shots for % in the league this season and for the past three seasons combined. Kings are in the top 5. Over a long season you can compensate for a mediocre PDO by outshooting your opponent, but it doesn't work well during a best-of-seven series.

The team with the better PDO almost always wins a series. Sucks, because the Hurricanes are my second favorite team.
A lot of it just comes down to the Power Play.

Carolina is 0 for 15 on the PP. Rangers are 4 for 13.

Rangers also have a short handed goal. So the Hurricanes are -5 on special teams in 3 games. And each game has been decided by 1 goal.

Reactions: lumbergh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad