Confirmed with Link: Kulikov to EDM (Conditional 2022 4th round pick)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can someone explain why we would bother to trade a guy like Kulikov for a 4th?

Is the reason that if we don’t do it the player will hate us for not renting him to a playoff team and anyhow would never sign with us?

just can’t see why we would accept a 4th round pick for a player like Kulikov. Sorry for layman’s question

Basically if he tells you I'm not resigning here, you try to get something for him. Something is better than nothing.

Alternatively you do the player a solid by giving him a chance to win a Cup.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
When guys like Savard and Manson are requiring 1st rounders to acquire, a guy like Larsson has a ton of value. Rare player type.
Saw that Larson was a UFA after this seasons, Do you think Edmonton is going to resign? I wouldn't mind him coming back to NJ.:D

Reactions: mdj12784

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
They aren’t coming in 4th. Montreal or Calgary aren’t catching anyone. Technically lots of things are possible but that’s highly unlikely.

HockeyViz has the odds for a Oilers/Jets match-up at 68% and the only 1st round match-up with higher odds is Vegas/Minny at 73%. That’s because Toronto’s hold on 1st is very solid too. (Dom in the Atlantic has Toronto’s chances as to stat in 1st at 94% and Edmonton’s combined odds for the first 3rd spots at 94% too.)

And there’s only seven teams in the Scotia North. (The Vegas/Minny odds are so solid presumably because the other Pacific Division cast off are trash and Colorado’s hold on 1st looks pretty permanent.)

Yes, these are odds and not guarantees. And yeah, I would have at least liked this to have moved up to a conditional 3rd but a one playoff round win isn’t that hard to pull off.

Boston wanted Mike Reilly (BOS 2022 3rd) instead of Kulikov, maybe because he played on the PP too or something else about him as a player. And Montour (FLA 2021 3rd) is a completely different kind of player. Did any other defensemen get a 3rd?

Well, Jets are the most likely opponent of Oilers but my point was that no matter which opponent Oilers face in the playoffs, their chances aren't (in my opinion) higher than 60% so it's actually closer to the coin flip than some people want to admit. There's a good chance that they win the first round but they may very well get bounced so the return should be treated as somewhere between 3rd and 4th, which IMO is too low for Kulikov.

The list of d-men that returned more than Kulikov has been almost completed by you, the only two missing are Siegenthaler (not a rental though) and Savard. There were not many d-men traded in general but Kulikov, while limited offensively, has been one of those who could be put in the top 4 situation on the contending team and still look like he belongs, I don't think that could be said about many defensemen traded in recent days.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Not sure that's changed much, every league has "journeymen." There was a phase where teams were giving crazy terms to depth players to lower their cap hits (like max talbot's contract) but I think GMs wised up to the risk involved in that.

I think the major change that might be happening now is complimentary/middle class wingers + dmen are getting squeezed. Like what is Palmieri's term going to be?

The NFL is the same way

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Fitzgerald needs to learn how to play hardball and be stubborn at times. A 4th is useless in this weak draft. Better off keeping the guy.

That would have biting off your nose to spite your face.

A 4th or 3rd isn’t much but it’s more helpful than a few more games of Kulikov.

Reactions: TheDuke93

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Yeah, this is what it is: Devils aren't making the playoffs, so get something for Kulikov now, see if he'd like to come back in the offseason, and if he doesn't then at least you got some kind of asset for him. Meanwhile, you allow some of the younger guys to assume a bigger role over the final 15 games or so and see if that tells you anything heading into next year.

As for the return, yeah, it's pretty weak, but that's mostly indicative of the market this year. Fitz likely didn't have much leverage in a deal like this; Devils gain nothing by holding onto a guy who's overplaying his typical stat line this season and thus a likely regression candidate, and the market was flooded with decent third pairing defensemen to begin with. Again, best to get at least something for the guy, hope Edmonton wins a round, and then either use that pick next year or see if it can work as part of a future trade package.

Reactions: Guttersniped

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I would have liked to see the return be better for sure, but this is most certainly the best return that was offered, it's not like Fitz was going to take less to send him to Edmonton.. all the nonsense about it being a poor return and we should have just kept him, maybe he wanted out and lets not forget draft picks can be used for more than just selecting players

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Fitzgerald needs to learn how to play hardball and be stubborn at times. A 4th is useless in this weak draft. Better off keeping the guy.
There is no "weak draft" or "strong draft" in the 3rd or 4th round. People define weak and strong drafts based on the expected upside of the top 5 to top 10, but beyond that statistics and probabilities tell us it should be about the same every year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There is no "weak draft" or "strong draft" in the 3rd or 4th round. People define weak and strong drafts based on the expected upside of the top 5 to top 10, but beyond that statistics and probabilities tell us it should be about the same every year.
Almost every year is a year they say it's a weak draft until it's not. Are there any generational players in this one? Probably not but this draft will produce some All Stars, maybe a HOFer or two, but they've got to be found. Just like every other year.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Bratt, Wood, Maltsev and Sharongovich are all guys drafted after the 4th round that are currently playing right now. Three of them are in pretty big roles for us currently. I would take a chance at drafting another guy who has potential to become another player like any of them over keeping Kulikov for another 15games in a season were we miss the playoffs.

Camille the Eel

Oiler fan in peace

Can u guys give me a brief lowdown on Kulikov.
He’s been superb - our most reliable defenseman, you are getting a first or second pairing guy with a depth of experience. He’s heavy, mobile and can clear the crease. Makes a great first exit pass and can also skate it out. Great judgment and steadiness under pressure, rarely makes a mistake. He will help you on your playoff run for sure. He’s in fact just what you need. Should be a great playoff guy because he will stay at home and hit and has seen it all. Good luck to him and to your club.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Did I want more? Yes. Would I rather re-sign him as opposed to that price? Yes
I’m sure there just wasn’t a demand for him or Fitz would’ve got a better return.
That being said. That fourth night seem like nothing but people forget that quite often a fourth is used in order to move up 3-5 spots in earlier rounds and it is always good to have an extra one of those to ensure to get the guy you want.
This draft is going to have more steals than any draft in history due to the lack of scouting due to covid. You are going to see more late first round guys and second round guys having better careers than normal. It isn’t a deep draft like last year but the lack of knowledge on players can be beneficial to other GMs outside of the top 15

Camille the Eel

Did I want more? Yes. Would I rather re-sign him as opposed to that price? Yes
I’m sure there just wasn’t a demand for him or Fitz would’ve got a better return.
That being said. That fourth night seem like nothing but people forget that quite often a fourth is used in order to move up 3-5 spots in earlier rounds and it is always good to have an extra one of those to ensure to get the guy you want.
This draft is going to have more steals than any draft in history due to the lack of scouting due to covid. You are going to see more late first round guys and second round guys having better careers than normal. It isn’t a deep draft like last year but the lack of knowledge on players can be beneficial to other GMs outside of the top 15
I am thinking Kulikov is happy with the move. That we would not have otherwise done it. We owe him really because we have gotten such value out of his money. He has not been well paid here by his historic standards (two 4 times 4.5 contracts before he landed here supposedly washed up) but we permitted him to resurrect his career. Now a playoff run with a gifted team would put a nice accent on his year.

While just speculation, and idealistic at that, I would like to think we were doing something positive for the guy.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He’s been superb - our most reliable defenseman, you are getting a first or second pairing guy with a depth of experience. He’s heavy, mobile and can clear the crease. Makes a great first exit pass and can also skate it out. Great judgment and steadiness under pressure, rarely makes a mistake. He will help you on your playoff run for sure. He’s in fact just what you need. Should be a great playoff guy because he will stay at home and hit and has seen it all. Good luck to him and to your club.
Thank u very much
I remember him from Junior actually. He was a good dman
Maybe we can resign in offseason. Who knows. We are off for this week till Saturday so he will only miss 2 games after isolating for a week

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
With NJ he was an excellent 2nd pair Dman that could fill on the first pair in a supportive role but but may not provide as much offense as you'd like.

The downside is he was significantly better in NJ than he was in Winnipeg. Is it a systems thing or was it because he got his skating back?
He also hasn't had a fully healthy season in 6+ years. He's been fine so far this year but it doesn't mean he isn't still injury prone.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
so a conditional 4th is the same as nothing? If no one is offering anything more, what is the dude supposed to do....?

what a weird post.

Stay put and have Holland make his move and offer more?
That's what Shero was a genius at. Trades. Fitzgerald is doing a good job but needs better bargaining skills when it comes to trades. Can't let an old geezer like Holland get the better of you.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Nice to get something for him, not a bad return. Wish him the best, really enjoyed his limited here. We should bring him and Larsson back this offseason :)

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
That's what Shero was a genius at. Trades. Fitzgerald is doing a good job but needs better bargaining skills when it comes to trades. Can't let an old geezer like Holland get the better of you.
Shero also made bad trades, that's while saying this isn't a bad trade.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You mean like when he wouldn't trade Coleman until the price was met?

Oh wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad