Confirmed with Link: Kulikov to EDM (Conditional 2022 4th round pick)

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I expect more for Kulikov. I know is was an UFA but at $1+ M he should have been resigned for more. He is a good defensemen and the Devils need good defensemen, why trade?

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I expect more for Kulikov. I know is was an UFA but at $1+ M he should have been resigned for more. He is a good defensemen and the Devils need good defensemen, why trade?
Because there's a good chance he regress to the norm and then ends up just being a blocker in the case one of the kids is ready next year or in the chance that we can get an upgrade through FA. History says if we keep him and sign him for a few years it wouldn't work out.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Because there's a good chance he regress to the norm and then ends up just being a blocker in the case one of the kids is ready next year or in the chance that we can get an upgrade through FA. History says if we keep him and sign him for a few years it wouldn't work out.

That only happens with the Devils? Many upgrades for the defense are needed through FA. He would have been one less need. But gone now for nothing.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I agree - I would've like to see us get more for him, but it is what the market demands. He seems to have a bad rep - even though he's actually been pretty good since he turned 26 or so - much the way Severson has picked his game up as he's aged.

He is completely a defensive defenseman, so I guess there is that. If I had my choice, I would have extended him, since I think the expectation for him was to play #5 or 6 dman minutes, and we really got a very good 2nd pairing defenseman out of him.

As far as 'blocking' kids - it'll be a complete horror show if we expect to bring up youngsters and NOT sign a solid, stabilizing defenseman. This season would have been a complete crapshow if not for Murray and Kulikov. It actually allowed Smith and Severson to pair together and stabilized Vats and Subban into 3 pretty good defense pairings. Something we haven't had in about 8 years.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
That only happens with the Devils? Many upgrades for the defense are needed through FA. He would have been one less need. But gone now for nothing.
1. A first round pick isn't nothing. 2. Right now our top 4 is Smith, Severson, Subban, Murray. 3. We traded for Siegenthaler who Fitz already said he thinks can expand into a top 4 defensemen. Based on all this you can expect 5 of our 6 starting defensemen to be Smith, Severson, Subban, Murray, Siegenthaler. So we could see Vukojevic or Okhotyuk graduate next year and take the last spot or find another stop gap to not rush the kids at all. I think there's about a 0% chance that Kulikov would sign with us again on a 1year prove it deal and there's no shot Fitz is going to give him 2-3 years he will most likely want and that is assuming he would want to stay to begin with. So trading him for a 4th possibly 3rd round pick is essentially a no brainer. Our leading scorer this year went in the 6th round and two of our top 4 goal scorers went after the 4th round, its by no means a "nothing" return. This team has drafted VERY well since Castron came in don't overlook draft picks just because they aren't in the first 3 rounds.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I agree - I would've like to see us get more for him, but it is what the market demands. He seems to have a bad rep - even though he's actually been pretty good since he turned 26 or so - much the way Severson has picked his game up as he's aged.

He is completely a defensive defenseman, so I guess there is that. If I had my choice, I would have extended him, since I think the expectation for him was to play #5 or 6 dman minutes, and we really got a very good 2nd pairing defenseman out of him.

As far as 'blocking' kids - it'll be a complete horror show if we expect to bring up youngsters and NOT sign a solid, stabilizing defenseman. This season would have been a complete crapshow if not for Murray and Kulikov. It actually allowed Smith and Severson to pair together and stabilized Vats and Subban into 3 pretty good defense pairings. Something we haven't had in about 8 years.
But we aren't talking about blocking last season, we are talking about blocking for next season and that includes 5 expected starting defensemen for next year already being on the team.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

We are on the same page. The Devils must fix the defense. Rookie aren't getting it done and the likes of Vatanen was a bust and then there is Stubban. So Vatanen is waived, Kulikov is gone, Stubban is probably gone. Butcher on on the schitt list. Hello defense anyone.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
1. A first round pick isn't nothing. 2. Right now our top 4 is Smith, Severson, Subban, Murray. 3. We traded for Siegenthaler who Fitz already said he thinks can expand into a top 4 defensemen. Based on all this you can expect 5 of our 6 starting defensemen to be Smith, Severson, Subban, Murray, Siegenthaler. So we could see Vukojevic or Okhotyuk graduate next year and take the last spot or find another stop gap to not rush the kids at all. I think there's about a 0% chance that Kulikov would sign with us again on a 1year prove it deal and there's no shot Fitz is going to give him 2-3 years he will most likely want and that is assuming he would want to stay to begin with. So trading him for a 4th possibly 3rd round pick is essentially a no brainer. Our leading scorer this year went in the 6th round and two of our top 4 goal scorers went after the 4th round, its by no means a "nothing" return. This team has drafted VERY well since Castron came in don't overlook draft picks just because they aren't in the first 3 rounds.

Did I miss something? What first round pick?

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Yes, Stubban is one of the present top 4 but he should not be. He shouldn't be with the Devils at all next year.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Did I miss something? What first round pick?
I was referencing the fact that picks outside the first round still have value. To your other response instead of posting twice. PK still is a top 4 defenseman he's just overpaid. He will be on thw team next year barring so crazy unforseen scenario.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I was referencing the fact that picks outside the first round still have value. To your other response instead of posting twice. PK still is a top 4 defenseman he's just overpaid. He will be on thw team next year barring so crazy unforseen scenario.

I hope you are wrong about Stubban, yes over paid and underperforming while with the Devils. I don't think much about a "conditional 4th round pick" they usually don't work out. First round picks don't work out in all cases either. Pick are picks without proven history in the NHL. Have a good night, later

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It's also possible he had no interest in re-signing and would have walked for nothing anyway. I wouldn't have minded keeping him, but he's hardly irreplaceable.

This is true. No indication he was unhappy and a 2 year for $2 or 2.5 might have kept him. We won't ever know. Moving on. I am wanting more sooner with the rebuild. This constant restart is frustrating.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If a guy is about to become a UFA you can like them and want to keep them, it doesn’t make them under team control though. Free will and all that. Lou let UFAs walk. It’s a thing that happens.

This team always has had plenty of rando defensemen who perform really well for a certain stretch. And then typically that ends because they were a stop gap solution (or a bottom pairing guy when better things were happening in the top four).

Kulikov was an upcoming UFA on a one year deal whose play was already slipping. Our defense is definitely our biggest issue, Murray is a UFA and Subban has one year left. Keeping Kulikov is not remotely how you built a defense for a team that’s better than the one you’re watching right now though.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We've done well with these short deals/trades for veteran guys who do the dirty work. Boyle, Lovejoy, Kulikov or Murray - no real complaints from me. Their limitations were known and they played within them pretty well. All seem to be quality people from the outside.

Going about "vet leadership" this way just aligns incentives. Old guys trying to prove they still belong, young guys trying to steal their job, picks or team success at the end. Win-win if it's the right guy and so far, we've picked the right guy more often than not.

The mid-tier is what kills you on hit and term - Lucic, Eriksson, etc - and this is what I see a lot of impatient fans clamor for. Stuff that seems like a win but isn't. They're the kind of players who are best signed when you know precisely what the NHL roster is lacking and can clearly define their role. But that's impossible when half your roster are just starting their careers. You don't even really know how the team plays, let alone what Nico Hischier is exactly good at.

We're going to add some players this summer and I expect at least one of them to be on a longer deal. I hope we don't f*** it up.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If a guy is about to become a UFA you can like them and want to keep them, it doesn’t make them under team control though. Free will and all that. Lou let UFAs walk. It’s a thing that happens.

This team always has had plenty of rando defensemen who perform really well for a certain stretch. And then typically that ends because they were a stop gap solution (or a bottom pairing guy when better things were happening in the top four).

Kulikov was an upcoming UFA on a one year deal whose play was already slipping. Our defense is definitely our biggest issue, Murray is a UFA and Subban has one year left. Keeping Kulikov is not remotely how you built a defense for a team that’s better than the one you’re watching right now though.

Keeping a stable defenseman to play alongside the kids you have ostensibly drafted to replace him until they are ready is exactly how you build a defense for a team that is better than the one you are looking at right now.

The previous attempt was surrounding a promising but dodgy Severson with equally dodgy Vatanan, Mueller, Subban, and Butcher, all trying to find their games. That's completely throwing shit at a wall.

Your point about UFAs is spot on, and I'm fine with the trade - but I sure as hell would like Murray and Kulikov back until Bahl, Mook or someone through a trade pushes him down to the #7 spot naturally.

If Kulikov is getting 1st or 2nd pairing minutes, it means most everyone else you have isn't very good at all.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Keeping a stable defenseman to play alongside the kids you have ostensibly drafted to replace him until they are ready is exactly how you build a defense for a team that is better than the one you are looking at right now.

The previous attempt was surrounding a promising but dodgy Severson with equally dodgy Vatanan, Mueller, Subban, and Butcher, all trying to find their games. That's completely throwing shit at a wall.

Your point about UFAs is spot on, and I'm fine with the trade - but I sure as hell would like Murray and Kulikov back until Bahl, Mook or someone through a trade pushes him down to the #7 spot naturally.

If Kulikov is getting 1st or 2nd pairing minutes, it means most everyone else you have isn't very good at all.

Hopefully Siegenthaler can step up with regular minutes and the knowledge he isn't going to be exiled at the first mistake. If Smith can work on his close to the crease defense this offseason he should be ready for another shot at a top pair. The left side may be sorted when you add one of the young guys. The right side is desperately in need of renovation however. Beyond Severson the team has essentially nothing after next season. Maybe Walsh develops into a third pair righty by the end of next season if they are lucky. Once Subban is finished they will really need help there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But we aren't talking about blocking last season, we are talking about blocking for next season and that includes 5 expected starting defensemen for next year already being on the team.

Who are the fourth and fifth? Siegenthaler I guess, god help us if Butcher is the fifth. I’m not sure I’d pen either of those guys as automatic starters especially if one (Butcher) gets taken in the expansion draft.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Who are the fourth and fifth? Siegenthaler I guess, god help us if Butcher is the fifth. I’m not sure I’d pen either of those guys as automatic starters especially if one (Butcher) gets taken in the expansion draft.
Smith, Severson, PK, Murray and Siegenthaler. I full expect Fitz to extend Murray, now granted there is a chance that he doesn't want to stay but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was comfortable playing 2nd pair minutes with PK next year and whoever is ready in the future. I could very well see Vukojevic or Okhotyuk graduating next year as well. I am not advocating to rush anyone, but either of them could be ready and that is also while ruling out a guy like Zaitsev coming over from Russia or the Devils wanting to give Groleau or Jacobs an actual look.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I’m just guessing Kulikov could easily have gotten dodgy pretty fast too if Fitz signed him to a multi-year deal though.

Schlemko was a very useful guy the season we had him but we were better off not keeping him. Peter Harrold was actually a useful player early on, he shouldn’t have been on this team for four freaking years though while he outlived his usefulness.

Kulikov is a 30 yo journeyman who happened to have a good 38 game run here. His play was starting to slip in the end here, who knows what it would have been over an actual 82 game season. He’s a stop gap and those are by definition replaceable. So trading him was the right thing considering it didn’t even require any salary retention. (I get that you might continue to disagree and I will stop making this same argument to you lol.)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Judging by the lack of market for him I doubt there’s any real concern we’d have signed him to a long deal, I doubt he gets any more than two years at most this offseason unlike Schlemko

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
they basically replaced him with Siegenthaler who is 7 years younger though and they have similar skillsets

Well put, they both play defense. One better than the other 7 year younger guy. The Devils seemed to be destined for continued defense issues, they can't or won't figure out how to fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00