Confirmed with Link: Kulikov to EDM (Conditional 2022 4th round pick)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Physical defensive defensemen who have name recognition get overpaid at deadline prices. Unfortunately for us only one of those three was true with Kulikov.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
One thing we do know is that we just got a 4th round pick that might become a 3rd, for a guy that played like a high end second pair defenseman with no trade protection and a $1.15 cap hit.

Buffalo might be the clowns of this circus, but we're not far behind with this one. Awful, awful value. Gross.

it's a buyer's market. sucks, but that's what it is. all sellers are going to be losers this year unfortunately.

Reactions: MachoDiablo

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
We might overrate a player like this because it has been ages since we've had one. I liked Kulikov, but he wasn't some can't miss, irreplaceable player. He was an average NHL d man for us. We just aren't used to average NHL d men because the defense has been a dumpster fire for so long now.

he was valuable to NJ for the short stint we lack physical defense... he was that.. but we knew he was going and basically replace hime with 23 yr dude from wash. and got the pic back.. so can't complain.. so far Fitz has made intelligent trades on paper, whether or not they turn into on ice success remains to be seen, but he is doing the right moves...

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I have liked what Fitz has done so far , however this was a dogshit return .
Not saying he is not doing a good job as GM , just that this one trade was not the greatest return.

what did you expect to get for Kulikov? just curious. if they ultimately get a 3rd back for him , I hardly consider that dog shit especially in this market.. Taylor hall ( 3 years removed from winning hart trophy got a 2nd rounder) we may get a third back for Kulikov. seems fair to me at the least

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
People who like this deal set the bar low in my opinion.

If Edmonton gets beaten in the first round, which is possible given that they're playing WPG, MTL or TOR, we get the same return for a defenseman who played solid hockey as Detroit and San Jose got for retaining 25% of Foligno and Savard.

Not the best first deadline from Fitzy.
They aren’t coming in 4th. Montreal or Calgary aren’t catching anyone. Technically lots of things are possible but that’s highly unlikely.

HockeyViz has the odds for a Oilers/Jets match-up at 68% and the only 1st round match-up with higher odds is Vegas/Minny at 73%. That’s because Toronto’s hold on 1st is very solid too. (Dom in the Atlantic has Toronto’s chances as to stat in 1st at 94% and Edmonton’s combined odds for the first 3rd spots at 94% too.)

And there’s only seven teams in the Scotia North. (The Vegas/Minny odds are so solid presumably because the other Pacific Division cast off are trash and Colorado’s hold on 1st looks pretty permanent.)

Yes, these are odds and not guarantees. And yeah, I would have at least liked this to have moved up to a conditional 3rd but a one playoff round win isn’t that hard to pull off.

Boston wanted Mike Reilly (BOS 2022 3rd) instead of Kulikov, maybe because he played on the PP too or something else about him as a player. And Montour (FLA 2021 3rd) is a completely different kind of player. Did any other defensemen get a 3rd?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah but the Jets usually disappoint come playoff time, and who knows what Blake Wheeler’s status is. Plus the oilers just added a nice piece in Kuli and I think McD and Drai can will them to win at least one playoff round.
Well we are most likely playing Winnipeg so we r in tough. As much as I hate to say it, Toronto is built to win. I just don’t wanna listen to that toxic fan base

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
what did you expect to get for Kulikov? just curious. if they ultimately get a 3rd back for him , I hardly consider that dog shit especially in this market.. Taylor hall ( 3 years removed from winning hart trophy got a 2nd rounder) we may get a third back for Kulikov. seems fair to me at the least

I expected a 2nd rounder + given his contract. If David Savard at 1,062,500 x 1 is a worth a 1st, 3rd, and 4th then Kulkov at 1.15m x 1 should have been worth at least a 2nd I thought. Winnipeg was probably out cause they know him well depressing his market, as well as the fact that he he hasn't shown well until this year.

Edit: Reilly at 1.5m was worth an unconditional 3rd also, Kulikov really should have been worth a conditional 2nd/3rd at least.

Edit 2: Eating about 1.2 million in cap space is worth a 4th rounder based on the Savard/Folingo trades. This is a disapointing return any way you look at the market.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
You know what has to suck in todays NHL? You're a good depth guy (bottom 6 F / bottom 2 D) but never get a contract >3 years. You know you are probably going to play for 5-6 teams in your 30s because teams see you as flippable.

This is one of the 54344 reasons i don't like that the only way to build a team is through the draft.

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
Can someone explain why we would bother to trade a guy like Kulikov for a 4th?

Is the reason that if we don’t do it the player will hate us for not renting him to a playoff team and anyhow would never sign with us?

just can’t see why we would accept a 4th round pick for a player like Kulikov. Sorry for layman’s question

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
You know what has to suck in todays NHL? You're a good depth guy (bottom 6 F / bottom 2 D) but never get a contract >3 years. You know you are probably going to play for 5-6 teams in your 30s because teams see you as flippable.

Not sure that's changed much, every league has "journeymen." There was a phase where teams were giving crazy terms to depth players to lower their cap hits (like max talbot's contract) but I think GMs wised up to the risk involved in that.

I think the major change that might be happening now is complimentary/middle class wingers + dmen are getting squeezed. Like what is Palmieri's term going to be?

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ

This is one of the 54344 reasons i don't like that the only way to build a team is through the draft.

Seeing as how they make millions of dollars playing a game, I dont feel bad for them. If youre not a good player, you probably get bounced around. Signing cheap 1 year, 1 way deals is sometimes the only way for a player to lengthen their career.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
wait so is it a 3rd this year if they win a round and a 4th next year if they don’t? i’m seeing conflicting info on what year it is

Is the reason that if we don’t do it the player will hate us for not renting him to a playoff team and anyhow would never sign with us?

just can’t see why we would accept a 4th round pick for a player like Kulikov. Sorry for layman’s question

a 4th is still something of value, better to get that than nothing.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would have preferred to re-sign Kulikov for a season or two. In my mind, he's been the Devils best physical and defensive presence on the blueline this year. Obviously, Mr. Fitzgerald is hoping this can be replaced by Jonas Siegenthaler, who is under team control for longer. The Devils also have Okhotyuk and Bahl in the AHL, and from what I've seen and heard Okhotyuk is probably NHL-ready right now and Bahl should vie for a role next year in camp.

I wish the best for Kulikov, he really played quite well this year and deserves praise. The return is not ideal, but I'd be foolish to think that Kulikov would net a 2nd rounder in return.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I have liked what Fitz has done so far , however this was a dogshit return .
Not saying he is not doing a good job as GM , just that this one trade was not the greatest return.
GM really can’t control demand that much, you either have a hot commodity or not and this was a defenseman heavy market for one obvious reason: a bunch of UFA defensemen signed one year deals. So did a lot of forwards but it looks like most of them aren’t even getting traded.

Outside of Adams, and we have proof of ineptitude after the Scandella for a 4th trade last season, GMs just have to get these deals done. BriseBois overpaid three times so Savard isn’t a shocker and there was a bidding war for Foligno because he was seen as a playoff warrior that everyone suddenly wanted.

Reactions: MachoDiablo

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
It is what it is .. Kulikov was on the market to the highest bidder and all he could net was a conditional 4th. That should tell you that the league is not buying into his surprising 2021 performance.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

His agent probably let the team know that he wasn't going to re-sign so they decided to get something for him as opposed to nothing. Pure spec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad