Confirmed with Link: Kulikov to EDM (Conditional 2022 4th round pick)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Perhaps Kulikov and Fitz made a handshake deal to re-sign this summer? Or he had no interest in re-signing and we got whatever we could? We dont know what happened behind the scenes.

One thing we do know is that we just got a 4th round pick that might become a 3rd, for a guy that played like a high end second pair defenseman with no trade protection and a $1.15 cap hit.

Buffalo might be the clowns of this circus, but we're not far behind with this one. Awful, awful value. Gross.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
One thing we do know is that we just got a 4th round pick that might become a 3rd, for a guy that played like a high end second pair defenseman with no trade protection and a $1.15 cap hit.

Buffalo might be the clowns of this circus, but we're not far behind with this one. Awful, awful value. Gross.
I am not happy about the return either. However I guess the market for him just wasn't there.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
4th is pretty much nothing, but what can you do if that’s the most offered and Kulikov doesn’t want to stay (not many do..)

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ

I wouldnt call him a "high end second pair defenseman". He was good in his own zone and had a decent outlet pass, but almost no offense to speak of. Again, we dont know what his intentions are next season.

Reactions: Darkauron

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
People who like this deal set the bar low in my opinion.

If Edmonton gets beaten in the first round, which is possible given that they're playing WPG, MTL or TOR, we get the same return for a defenseman who played solid hockey as Detroit and San Jose got for retaining 25% of Foligno and Savard.

Not the best first deadline from Fitzy.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
It’s pretty clear at this point they’re going to be facing Winnipeg, and I would favor them in that matchup

And you have every right to but still they aren't part of the group with the odds higher than 60% in the first round (that would be, in my opinion, COL, VGK, TOR, wouldn't even give that much to TB).

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I wouldnt call him a "high end second pair defenseman". He was good in his own zone and had a decent outlet pass, but almost no offense to speak of. Again, we dont know what his intentions are next season.

His defensive impacts more than made up for his lack of scoring. If a team needed a scoring from the blueline or a power play quarterback or something, yeah, Kulikov would not fit the bill for that, but he does everything else.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean, how hard is it to make a trade like this? Fitzgerald has probably been shopping Kulikov for weeks. Either the offers are out there or they aren't, and it's clear by this return that they weren't. I'm disappointed, but I doubt very much Fitzgerald passed on a higher offer.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Anyone who was under the impression we’d get a 2nd or better were dreaming in technicolor.

The guy was almost kicked off the Jets roster, was signed as a last ditch resort to patch a hole on a one year deal and yes, he did play well with us for like 40 games but that’s not enough for opposing teams to give up anything worth while for a guy that could barely find a job 8 months ago.

Reactions: RyGuy

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
They're 10 points clear of Montreal and Toronto is 6 points clear of them. It's going to be Edmonton - Winnipeg in the first round.

Still lots of time left in the season but most likely it will be WPG. It's not a first round "bye" by any means, we can legitimately end up with 4th round pick.

Reactions: TheDuke93

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His defensive impacts more than made up for his lack of scoring. If a team needed a scoring from the blueline or a power play quarterback or something, yeah, Kulikov would not fit the bill for that, but he does everything else.
I think for us we have Barrie and Nurse that are the offensive guys. The problem we have is in our own zone and all the youth we have. I'd sure like to see Kulikov not play and the young guys finally figure it out, but we really can't pass on bringing in a more consistent vet like Kulikov.

But really as it is I think Kulikov is probably our 4th best d-man now.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It is what it is. This is the rare reclamation project that worked out, and he was flipped for an asset. I'm sure Fitz approached him and said if you want to talk, let's talk or I can move you for a chance at the playoffs. Or, and what I think is more likely anyway, he doesn't fit the age timeline Fitz is looking for regardless and figured it was worth getting something in return.

Glad it worked out either way. Kulikov was much better than any of us imagined he'd be.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The thing is that a 'smart' team who sees how well Kulikov has played this season knows how bad he was the previous 3, and a dumb team knows what Kulikov signed for this off-season. If other teams preferred other guys, not a lot of wiggle room there.

Also needs pointing out that 2022 mid-round draft picks are more valuable than 2021, a rarity.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Wish we got more, but it's hard to be actually bothered when I remember how much we gave to get him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Edmonton is in 3rd place in their division, so I would have to imagine the Jets are favored.

Though the Oilers are 4-2 against Winnipeg so far this season.
I like their chances against the Jets, I’d prefer they avoid the Leafs and that shouldn’t be too hard since I don’t see them coming in 4th.

I kind prefer non-1sts to be 2022, the draft should be a stellar year for overagers and there will presumably be a larger number of them which in turn might make desirable newly eligible draftees available further down in the draft. I would have loved it to have been a conditional 3rd but such is life.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We might overrate a player like this because it has been ages since we've had one. I liked Kulikov, but he wasn't some can't miss, irreplaceable player. He was an average NHL d man for us. We just aren't used to average NHL d men because the defense has been a dumpster fire for so long now.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
djpjfbiipjz.jpeg

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
And you have every right to but still they aren't part of the group with the odds higher than 60% in the first round (that would be, in my opinion, COL, VGK, TOR, wouldn't even give that much to TB).

not to get too off topic here but..
Come on ya gotta give that much to TB they have the 2nd most points in the league and oh yeah come playoff time? They only get to add the best winger in the league, no big deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad