Confirmed with Link: Krys Barch Traded to Florida

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fact 1: Lou did not feel comfortable paying an NHL salary to a player in the AHL
Fact 2: Barch had a one-way contract

Therefore, Lou traded Barch because he didn't want to send him down and pay him an NHL salary to play in the AHL.

There's absolutely nothing to read into about this other than that. Janssen, Kinkaid and Urbom will be sent down shortly and we'll have our 23 man roster.
I was gonna say Lou would still have a player in the AHL making NHL salary, but actually I don't think he will if he sends down Gio.

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
NH0zEjj.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Janssen will clear waivers.

Definitely. There didn't seem to be any interest in him when he was a UFA this past July. That's why he came crawling back to the Devils.

DevilChuk*

I was gonna say Lou would still have a player in the AHL making NHL salary, but actually I don't think he will if he sends down Gio.

Gionta's contract is technically a two way. Last year it was basically a one-way with a 525k salary in either league. This year its a two-way with a 105k salary in the AHL and a 600k salary in the NHL.

I absolutely love the guy but he's going to be demoted. He'll be back at one point, I'm sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gionta's contract is technically a two way. Last year it was basically a one-way with a 525k salary in either league. This year its a two-way with a 105k salary in the AHL and a 600k salary in the NHL.

I absolutely love the guy but he's going to be demoted. He'll be back at one point, I'm sure.

I could see him being claimed. He's still a really good 4th liner IMO, but we just have better options now. And younger players we don't wanna lose to waivers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I could see him being claimed. He's still a really good 4th liner IMO, but we just have better options now. And younger players we don't wanna lose to waivers.

Team needs to be thin and have an open spot for him, I doubt any team will seem him worth moving parts around to scoop him up.

DevilChuk*

I doubt he gets claimed. Teams right now are generally full roster wise and considering if you claim him, you HAVE to keep him up in the NHL (otherwise the Devils have first dibs on claiming him and sending him to the AHL).. I don't see it happening.

A player with a higher pedigree being a former first round pick like Tedenby or Josefson I would see claimed because teams might think they'll hit the jackpot. With Gionta, teams know what they are getting.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess he probably wouldn't be claimed now but if it were later in the season, I could see him being claimed.

The Islanders had a waiver wire fest last year to start the season though. They were picking up everybody.:laugh::laugh:

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
This leaves Cam as our obvious guy to get sent down to Halifax as the character guy to room with our hot prospect Xavier LaFlamme who hasn't been the same since getting concussed by Ross "The Boss" Rhea.:sarcasm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would suggest you guys stop celebrating until Janssen gets sent down. If Janssen makes the team now that Barch is gone, this trade isn't worth celebrating.

That would be the absolute pinnacle of being illogical. If you're keeping one enforcer you're not keeping the guy on a two-way deal who can be made to dissapear when they already have a **** ton of one-way deals on the roster. Even without Barch they have what, fourteen one-ways plus Gionta? You'd have to get rid of Little Gio AND Tedenby to have Cam on the roster, that is just...inconceivable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That would be the absolute pinnacle of being illogical. If you're keeping one enforcer you're not keeping the guy on a two-way deal who can be made to dissapear when they already have a **** ton of one-way deals on the roster. Even without Barch they have what, fourteen one-ways plus Gionta? You'd have to get rid of Little Gio AND Tedenby to have Cam on the roster, that is just...inconceivable.

Yup. Cam is just not good at all. That one dude is gonna get mad at me for my player crapping or whatever he says, but Cam is every bit as bad as I make him out to be. He's also even worse now than he was 2 years ago when he was regularly in our lineup.

If we absolutely needed to keep one of them I'd go with Barch. He's just quite a bit less sucky than Cam is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
with the depth he became a casualty. there will be no wake.

Deboer said we're gonna roll 4 lines, and there just is no such thing as 4 lines with guys like Barch and Janssen in the lineup.

You pretty much have 3 lines and a couple of bodies. And then one other body that plays less than 5 minutes a night. This team is too good to waste spots on those guys.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Actually, I'm not worried about us seeing Janssen. Unlike last year, we actually have a minor logjam of relatively talented players in the bottom-6. Can't see Olesz or Carter sitting for BamBam Cam. When the inevitable injuries occur, Gio will be an ideal call-up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually, I'm not worried about us seeing Janssen. Unlike last year, we actually have a minor logjam of relatively talented players in the bottom-6. Can't see Olesz or Carter sitting for BamBam Cam. When the inevitable injuries occur, Gio will be an ideal call-up.

Yes Gio would be a much better call up than the usual Tim Sestito.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Especially without Kovy doubleshifting all over the place. No F's on our roster are getting 28+ minutes this season.

I don't even see why anyone would get over 22 minutes on forward. Maybe Zajac, but that's it. Can't use guys like Patty and Jags too many minutes a night either at their age. It's probably for the best.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What I wanna know is, does Lou get one of his own goons to intimidate teams like Florida and Buffalo to take Barch and Tallinder back?

It's funny that both of those guys were sent back to their prior team. I would say it was very likely that Buffalo did not wanna pay Tallinder what we gave him, and Florida didn't want Barch back for whatever reason.

Now year(s) later the same teams will take these guys back that they passed up signing in the first place?:laugh:

Fingers crossed Ottawa feels the same way about a certain ex player of theirs.

MJB Devils23*

So not only do the Devils like reacquiring players, but he likes giving back other teams' former players. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So not only do the Devils like reacquiring players, but he likes giving back other teams' former players. :laugh:

Hopefully we could come to a deal with Ottawa and complete the give back hat trick. :laugh: Won't hold my breath though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad