Rumor: Krug's Rights to be traded. DRW in running

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think the very small odds of Krug somehow screwing up the wings cap structure going forward are outweighed by having a great puck mover to help all the young players develop. Hes going to help guys like Zadina, Larkin, the 4th overall this year produce on the PP and get the puck to them at 5 on 5. Hes also going to have some hand in helping Hronek and Seider develop even more offensively.

The wings D was bad last year, I'm not even slightly against improving it to help the young guys improve. Do we really need to have another season with the quality of D of Biega, Daley and others playing big minutes?

Krug had 2 more ES points than Carlo. He is not an elite
ES points generator.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Difference is when we signed Green the entire rest of our D was declining and we had little in terms of prospects on the way.

Krug would not be "the man", he'd be a man, one cog in the machinery. We hope Seider can be "the guy", or that we draft Drysdale/Sanderson to be "the guy". We hope McIsaac or Johansson or Lindstrom or Tuomisto or others can play a role.
Krug is a help for all those players, someone that keeps us from rushing prospects, gives guys like Seider/Hronek/etc. an experienced talent to play with.

I would certainly be interested in Pietrangelo as well, I just see it as much less realistic and that kind of signing would also make more sense to me if we were truly a #1D away from contending.
I'd argue that our defense is noticeably worse now than in 2015-2016 though.

Again, not saying Krug wouldn't help. Just that the current roster is in even more desperate need of a true anchor at #1 than it was when we brought in Green.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
No thanks. Want to let Hronek and possibly Seider get all the PP time in Detroit. Don't need to limit their growth opportunities over a player with maybe 3 prime years left. If we were a top 10 team in the league and could afford to add him, then maybe depending on the circumstances and the cost associated with it short/med/long-term.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd argue that our defense is noticeably worse now than in 2015-2016 though.

Again, not saying Krug wouldn't help. Just that the current roster is in even more desperate need of a true anchor at #1 than it was when we brought in Green.

Yeah thats fine but the wings arent going to get to sign a true anchor number 1 in free agency. Theyre also lacking an elite PP puck mover. Hronek is solid but hes actually more of a trigger man than the guy who dissects an oppsoing team QBing.

No thanks. Want to let Hronek and possibly Seider get all the PP time in Detroit. Don't need to limit their growth opportunities over a player with maybe 3 prime years left. If we were a top 10 team in the league and could afford to add him, then maybe depending on the circumstances and the cost associated with it short/med/long-term.

I would rather have Krug on the PP with Seider, feeding him some one timers where he really has to work on his shot. Theres bound to be injuries as well. I would rather have Seider get limited PP time and fill in a bit to start than have to worry about if Seider gets hurt and watching Bowey out there on the PP

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yzerman said today he expects the Wings to be relatively conservative in free agency.
Could be some posturing on his part to keep the prices down, the flys off the radar or maybe he really means it. He's not one to tip his hand so I think we'll see 1 surprise UFA signing that most didn't expect (small or medium caliber--Brodie @ $4.9/3-4yrs) & at least 1 more cap dump or cap casualty, but likely 2 more.

I don't get the sense Yzerman likes the $ & term on Krug (avg/poor 5on5 production, sheltered, 70% OZS etc) for a 29 yr old Dman who is average at best defensively. I could be totally wrong, but either way I trust his judgement.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
LOL AP is even older than Krug and now were talking about him for 7 years at 9 million? You want to buy Pietrangelo's retirement years at 9 million? This has gotten out of hand accept the fact that this team is going to suck for 2-3 more years. You were fine with the team getting worse every season under Holland but now we gotta inject UFA retirement years into our future so we can be second from last place instead of last place right now.
Petro is all of 15 months older than Krug. Not exactly a huge difference. I can understand the concern regarding games played (758 vs 523). But nobody is saying we START by asking for 7 years. If Detroit could somehow land a player like Pietrangelo on a 4-5 year deal, I'd be over the moon. But this defense needs major help to even give the kids a fair evaluation.

I'm not saying to go spend 20 million on free agents and try to make the playoffs.
I'm saying that there needs to be at least one good acquisition to do some of the heavy lifting, or no matter how many kids we throw at the problem, they're going to drown.

EDIT: I don't have the patience to look it up, but if anybody is interested in doing the research, I'd be very curious as to when during the rebuilding process teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago added a free agent here or there to help the kids they were drafting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman said today he expects the Wings to be relatively conservative in free agency.

"Relatively conservative" could mean anything like getting UFA starting goaltender, and home-grown UFA defenceman for reasonable price.

Then trading for Tampa center after free agency and we have a team.

- G Markström
- D Krug
- C Cirelli/Gourde/Johnson

Then promoting some of the kids, selling vets for picks at the deadline.

That's the season plan.

Reactions: Frk It

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Petro is all of 15 months older than Krug. Not exactly a huge difference. I can understand the concern regarding games played (758 vs 523). But nobody is saying we START by asking for 7 years. If Detroit could somehow land a player like Pietrangelo on a 4-5 year deal, I'd be over the moon. But this defense needs major help to even give the kids a fair evaluation.

I'm not saying to go spend 20 million on free agents and try to make the playoffs.
I'm saying that there needs to be at least one good acquisition to do some of the heavy lifting, or no matter how many kids we throw at the problem, they're going to drown.

EDIT: I don't have the patience to look it up, but if anybody is interested in doing the research, I'd be very curious as to when during the rebuilding process teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago added a free agent here or there to help the kids they were drafting.

I'd be comfortable in a 4 year window. If we want a team that is at least not quite as unbearable to watch. If we could get a slick D on a 3 or 4 year deal that is a completely different story than 30 year olds on 6 or 7 year deals.

The only reason teams buy retirement years of players is because they want to legitimize their window and insure they really go for it. We are just talking about getting better and giving the kids some mentoring. I don't think 6 and 7 year deals are in synch with what we need to be focused on when those terms are going to be problematic late in the contract.

I am not saying 34 year olds don't play good hockey but they certainly loose a step that needs to be mitigated, also all star 34 year olds are not as common as people think for every Mark Giordano there are 100 Mike Greens.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
only way Krug cones here is if that was his only desire all along

We're not a good team and wont be for a few more years

My guess is... we're leverage to drive up his asking price and he goes somewhere else

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Another guy from that roster I don't hear much about is Travis Hamonic. More a defensive guy, but he's the sort of steady hand we could use.

Always liked Hamonic, but I’m looking for a guy on the left side to knock Dekeyser and Nemeth down a pairing.

Reactions: mantha39

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
"Relatively conservative" could mean anything like getting UFA starting goaltender, and home-grown UFA defenceman for reasonable price.

- G Markström
- D Krug

That's the season plan.

I wonder if there is any chance we could grab both of those guys, and maybe ship Glendening and/or Flip (with salary retained) back in return. We have the cap room to absorb both guys, and it's not like our lineup couldn't use the help. And Tampa would be getting at least one guy at a cheap price who could help fill out their roster, and who isn't signed beyond this year.

Reactions: Ricelund

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Always liked Hamonic, but I’m looking for a guy on the left side to knock Dekeyser and Nemeth down a pairing.

Worth noting that Brodie has spent most of his career on his off-side then in terms of playing RD.

I don't think Brodie is coming in quite as cheap as everyone hopes. I mean his medical might help get it cheaper, but if you're him, don't you take the best and longest offer after that... Maybe that is us, but again I don't see a discount.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Worth noting that Brodie has spent most of his career on his off-side then in terms of playing RD.

I don't think Brodie is coming in quite as cheap as everyone hopes. I mean his medical might help get it cheaper, but if you're him, don't you take the best and longest offer after that... Maybe that is us, but again I don't see a discount.

Is that just out of necessity or does he like that side better?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

- G Markström
- D Krug

That's the season plan.

I think relatively conservative means he's going to make big splashes.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Easier said than done,

Over the last 5 seasons, Dekeyser is 22nd in average ES/TOI GP among LHD.
Sure part of that is out of pure necessity, but it still isn't as easy as some think to find that guy who can log 18+ minutes at even strength and not only survive but actually look good doing it.
I guess Brodie is an option..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad