Kronwalls hit on Kucherov MOD WARNING IN OP (Kronwall suspended for Game 7) - Part II

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
wait so we should base punishment and the rules on whether the crowd cheers or not? I am confused. If this is the case wouldn't teams only be penalized during away games since the home team would never cheer for the away team?

are you not entertained?

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
If the league wants Kronwall to cut it out, that's fine. There are reasonable ways to force him to do so.

If it was a blatantly over-the-line hit that resulted in injury, you suspend him. Whatever.

It was not. It was borderline. It did not cause an injury. In fact it was so borderline the refs didn't even see fit to penalize it in-game. The only reason it deserved ANY supplemental discipline is because of the amount of force used. Literally. This was admitted by DoPS. I mean, really? What a joke. Anyway.

I think it's obvious that the right thing to do is fine him. That gives you your precedent. That gives Kronwall his official warning. If you do that and Kronwall throws another of those hits, THEN you can suspend him and nobody argues.

I mean I don't understand how this approach is not obvious to anyone. This is like trying to crack down on "subtle interference" by taking a random offender and kicking him out at the worst possible time. That's just stupid.

i think that everything you think is obvious, and objectively true, is kinda esoteric and subjective.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
i maintain that, clearly, the DoPS had at some point warned kronwall that this type of hit was not going to be tolerated any further, and he made a mistake, and was punished within the scope of what was outlined to him in private.

i am, i realize, giving the DoPS the benefit of the doubt, for sure.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
i maintain that, clearly, the DoPS had at some point warned kronwall that this type of hit was not going to be tolerated any further, and he made a mistake, and was punished within the scope of what was outlined to him in private.

And IF they had, I agree with the suspension.

However, using what we know about how the DoPS operates from their actions... the likelihood of him getting a warning in any kind of recent fashion is not very high.

That's what the problem is for most Wings fans. To support the DoPS, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt on things where they simply don't deserve it based on their inconsistent and baffling actions in the past.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
A) a motivated red wings club that feels slighted
and, B) reason for fans, media, etc. to rob tampa of credit for defeating what has turned out to be a equally talented playoff foe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just watched the NHL explanation of the suspension and I agree with their reasoning.

Kronwall doesn't have a history of head hits, and while I don't think that the hit was malicious, it was clearly avoidable head contact. A one game suspension for a game 7 just reinforces the goal of limiting head hits.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If the league wants Kronwall to cut it out, that's fine. There are reasonable ways to force him to do so.

If it was a blatantly over-the-line hit that resulted in injury, you suspend him. Whatever.

It was not. It was borderline. It did not cause an injury. In fact it was so borderline the refs didn't even see fit to penalize it in-game.

So it's alright for Kronwall to launch himself at player's heads just as long as they aren't injured?

The only reason it deserved ANY supplemental discipline is because of the amount of force used. Literally. This was admitted by DoPS. I mean, really? What a joke. Anyway.

And, as stated in the video, "the significant head contact that resulted." Don't forget that part.

I think it's obvious that the right thing to do is fine him. That gives you your precedent. That gives Kronwall his official warning. If you do that and Kronwall throws another of those hits, THEN you can suspend him and nobody argues.

I mean I don't understand how this approach is not obvious to anyone. This is like trying to crack down on "subtle interference" by taking a random offender and kicking him out at the worst possible time. That's just stupid.

Kronwall made it really easy though...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
wait so we should base punishment and the rules on whether the crowd cheers or not? I am confused. If this is the case wouldn't teams only be penalized during away games since the home team would never cheer for the away team?

Your arguements Are killing me.
You Are like:

A. What is the weather like in NY
B. No Carlsberg is better than Budweiser

Right?:shakehead

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

That is just a huge speculation on your part. No facts at all.
Just watched the NHL explanation of the suspension and I agree with their reasoning.

Kronwall doesn't have a history of head hits, and while I don't think that the hit was malicious, it was clearly avoidable head contact. A one game suspension for a game 7 just reinforces the goal of limiting head hits.

And what happened to all other hits and attempts to injury? In this very series Bolts have several suspendable hits.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Whether or not he jumped or his elbow was out doesn't matter, IMO. He took 6-8 strides before he made contact. That's a clear charge. I don't see the headshot.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
can someone show the Palat hit , I have not seen it except the one time during the game.

DeliriousPortlyCassowary.gif

(this was posted in the Wings forum)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Kronwall has always been a gutless player who tried to hurt others. The only shame anyone can reasonably have about this suspension is that it was only the first.

And no, I don't give two craps what Palat did or did not do, or received.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
The fact that this is still be debating is crazy to me. If you can honestly look at the hit, and think...you know, there is NOTHING wrong with it [mod]
Violence is a part of hockey, we get it. But the NHL has to protect its' players, and that's what they did. Kronwall has been doing this for years, and I personally can't believe this is the first time he's been suspended for it.

Should other players have been suspended for doing similar hits? Absolutely. But in this case, Kronwall took the risk knowing 100% that the league is trying to cut down on said hits, and it took it anyways. Be mad at the NHL all you want for not being consistent with their rulings, however they got this one right.

Last edited by a moderator:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
DeliriousPortlyCassowary.gif

(this was posted in the Wings forum)
And the hit on Abdelkader where garisson left his feet and targeted the head.
Kronwall has always been a gutless player who tried to hurt others. The only shame anyone can reasonably have about this suspension is that it was only the first.

And no, I don't give two craps what Palat did or did not do, or received.

Sure, you enjoy Bettman deciding the games and series.

Wings vs Bolts 4-1

Wings vs Bettman 3-4

We all know it. Let's enjoy it too.:sarcasm::laugh:
I love bettmans hockey. Let's hug. :shakehead

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
When was last playoff suspension given out for a play that did not cause an injury (not counting something like the Carcillo abuse deal) ?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The hit was not in any way borderline. It was clearly an illegal hit. The suspension was very much deserved. Nobody is to blame for the suspension except for Kronwall.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Kronwall hits defenseless players? His signature hit is along the boards on players trying to clear their zone. It's not from behind, it's not away from the play....if you're defenseless in that situation you probably lack hockey IQ and should consider going back to the beer league.

I don't think you can deny that he seems to go for those hits at times the players are vulnerable. By vulnerable, I don't mean they are facing the boards, or being hit from a blind angle. Rather, he hits them right when they are looking down to collect a pass, or trying to fish it away from the boards.

Yes, I know the common argument is that they need to keep their head up, but that's a bit of a disingenuous comment(and your statement that they lack hockey IQ and need to go back to beer leagues is simply an ignorant comment), since every player looks down momentarily when they are collecting a pass, or pulling the puck away from the boards. It's a play that happens many, many times over the course of a game.

As far as the rules are concerned, is this really a bad hit? No. It's perfectly legal. He's hitting them just as they are coming into possession of the puck, and are not legal to be hit. But it really shouldn't be that surprising that people see it as a predatory hit, especially when he leaps into it the way he does. It's the kind of hit that is legal, but only just. It's also, very likely, one of the reasons why there have been so many threads regarding his hits. Legal as they may be, they're kind of, well, dickish.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I don't think you can deny that he seems to go for those hits at times the players are vulnerable. By vulnerable, I don't mean they are facing the boards, or being hit from a blind angle. Rather, he hits them right when they are looking down to collect a pass, or trying to fish it away from the boards.

Yes, I know the common argument is that they need to keep their head up, but that's a bit of a disingenuous comment(and your statement that they lack hockey IQ and need to go back to beer leagues is simply an ignorant comment), since every player looks down momentarily when they are collecting a pass, or pulling the puck away from the boards. It's a play that happens many, many times over the course of a game.

As far as the rules are concerned, is this really a bad hit? No. It's perfectly legal. He's hitting them just as they are coming into possession of the puck, and are not legal to be hit. But it really shouldn't be that surprising that people see it as a predatory hit, especially when he leaps into it the way he does. It's the kind of hit that is legal, but only just. It's also, very likely, one of the reasons why there have been so many threads regarding his hits. Legal as they may be, they're kind of, well, dickish.

Also when the player on the receiving end of one of hits wants some retribution the man turtles and hides behind the refs. He is a rat and a coward, "dickish" is an understatement to describe his actions. He goes out there to deliberately hurt other players, its only a shame that this POS has gone this long before finally getting suspended. Feels good that his first suspension came in a game 7 though and now his team is eliminated. Finally some justice.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

What big hits aren't predatory hits though? When had there ever been a big legal hit when A player actually sees the opposing player coming and can brace for the hit? It literally does not happen if the player knows it's coming. If you have issues with "predatory" hits then you have a problem with any hard hits in the NHL.

This still pisses me off so much that he was suspended for such an important game. Yes it was borderline, but Palat's hit was incredibly similar and IMO was way worse. He hit almost entirely head while jumping like a foot off the ice yet his hit isn't even mentioned.

Such a joke of a league sometimes. They just seem to pick and chose whenever they want to make a point without ever showing any kind of consistency

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00