Kronwalls hit on Kucherov MOD WARNING IN OP (Kronwall suspended for Game 7) - Part II

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
A totally unbiased fan here saying the suspension was earned. He left his feet and hit him in the head. There is a standard in the NHL now that drops the book hard on hits to the head, and just because this is Detroit's best defensemen heading into a game 7 does not mean he should not have been suspended. End of story.

Since Detroit lost, now we have to endure an endless (and now pointless) debate, and inevitably hear the excuse that a bad call by the league is a reason Detroit's season is finished.

Had that been Hedman hitting Datsyuk, and Detroit won, the argument would be reversed.

The suspension was earned. Blame should be placed by Detroit fans onto Kronwall himself.

Congrats on an entertaining series, and good luck to Tampa Bay,

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
A totally unbiased fan here saying the suspension was earned. He left his feet and hit him in the head. There is a standard in the NHL now that drops the book hard on hits to the head, and just because this is Detroit's best defensemen heading into a game 7 does not mean he should not have been suspended. End of story.

Since Detroit lost, now we have to endure an endless (and now pointless) debate, and inevitably hear the excuse that a bad call by the league is a reason Detroit's season is finished.

Had that been Hedman hitting Datsyuk, and Detroit won, the argument would be reversed.

The suspension was earned. Blame should be placed by Detroit fans onto Kronwall himself.

I bet you any money the vast majority won't even cite the suspension as a factor.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

There is a standard in the NHL that drops suspensions for hits like this?

Where was it on the other similar hits then?

Palat, Callahan, Karlsson?

There ISN'T a standard. DoPS wants it to look like there is one, but clearly there isn't, because they didn't take two minutes to look at any other of the hits with lots of head contact. They focused in on Kronwall because he's done similar hits (that were legal) in the past.

That is what pisses me off. There is not a standard that DoPS goes by or at least not a standard that is evident. If that were the case, nobody could say anything. However, similar hits aren't even analyzed and certainly don't have a hearing called for them.

Whole thing just smacks of "we want to look like we're doing something about dangerous hits" more than "we're actually trying to regulate dangerous hits out of the game".

However, Tampa was the better team. Detroit had to trap like crazy to even have a chance. Once Tampa broke the trap, like in game 4, they showed they could score bunches of goals in a flash. Series came down to none of the "star" players doing anything and Tyler Johnson just being the best player on the ice in the important games. Then in Game 7, Braydon Coburn whiffing on a shot and it going in and Stralman tossing one out of the zone off a stanchion into an empty net. Game 7 was playoff hockey at its most incomprehensible. Detroit dominates possession for the majority and look dangerous as hell. Tampa screws up on a shot and it ends up in the net.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Define: "similar"

Hits with lots of head contact. That's what they gave Kronwall the suspension for. Not because of its predatory nature. They even used his Voracek hit (equally predatory) as an example of what's okay to do and what's not ok.

That's what is similar. Palat's hit at the very least had the head as the principle point of contact.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was about time Detroit paid the price for Kronwall's predatory hitting style.

And he'll have to be extra careful going forward since another hit like this will make him a repeat offender.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
This word "predatory" keeps getting thrown around.

What the hell does that even mean? That Kronwall, as a predator, chose his prey, and targetted it with a bodycheck? Does that not apply to any check ever made? Please somebody, explain how you can hit somebody without being "predatory". Do you have to throw a blind body check at the boards, and just coincidentally happen to time it when an opponent is passing by? What else is predatory? Is a stick-check predatory? If I steal the puck from you, is that me preying on you?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

What the hell does that even mean? That Kronwall, as a predator, chose his prey, and targetted it with a bodycheck? Does that not apply to any check ever made? Please somebody, explain how you can hit somebody without being "predatory". Do you have to throw a blind body check at the boards, and just coincidentally happen to time it when an opponent is passing by? What else is predatory? Is a stick-check predatory? If I steal the puck from you, is that me preying on you?

That apex predator Petr Mrazek was bird dogging pucks the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014

It's a bunch of BS spouted by fans jealous they didn't have a guy like Kronwall demolishing other players on their team. Like where most of the Detroit hate comes from: jealousy.

The guy makes one big hit a year the past 3-4 years and he's a predator, blah, blah. He mostly hits clean, and once in a while he crosses the line, but all this hate and all the tears are really satisfying. :laugh:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
What big hits aren't predatory hits though? When had there ever been a big legal hit when A player actually sees the opposing player coming and can brace for the hit? It literally does not happen if the player knows it's coming. If you have issues with "predatory" hits then you have a problem with any hard hits in the NHL.

Yes, lots of hits are where the guy knows its coming and is braced. Common scenarios are when a forward is trying to squeeze by a dman at, or past d-man's blue line, but the D-man stuffs him. Also when a forward is trying to get last few steps to the red line and dump in but gets squeezed and nailed first by an opposing forward. D-men also can take big hits hit that they know are coming, usually trying to take a step to get off a zone clear in their own zone while under pressure and a forechecker catches them first.

Kronwall's infamous hits are predatory, he lines up guys who are defenceless when distracted by pass or another opposition player, and aims high with an upward trajectory so even if he has a toe on the ice and clips the shoulder first, the follow through is off his feet and into the head. Again if you look at the rules of a boarding penalty, it is the hitters' responsibility to ease up when his target is in this position, but since Kronwall is doing it open ice, technically it doesn't fall into boarding so it's a bit of a loophole. Good to see the NHL finally apply charging to this though, although they need to tighten the language of it a bit more.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
However, Tampa was the better team. Detroit had to trap like crazy to even have a chance. Once Tampa broke the trap, like in game 4, they showed they could score bunches of goals in a flash. Series came down to none of the "star" players doing anything and Tyler Johnson just being the best player on the ice in the important games. Then in Game 7, Braydon Coburn whiffing on a shot and it going in and Stralman tossing one out of the zone off a stanchion into an empty net. Game 7 was playoff hockey at its most incomprehensible. Detroit dominates possession for the majority and look dangerous as hell. Tampa screws up on a shot and it ends up in the net.

In Game 1, switch Tampa and Detroit in the bolded text and that about sums up that game.

Nynja*

Kronwall's infamous hits are predatory, he lines up guys who are defenceless when distracted by pass or another opposition player

None of this makes it predatory. Theres a reason "keep your head up" is preached even in non-contact kids leagues.

And as much as I sympathize with Wings fans about having Kronwall get suspended for one game and Palat's headshot didnt even get any attention, at the end of the day you lost 1-0 (not counting EN goal), its not like Kronwall is an offensive Juggernaut that you lost.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
IF the NHL calls interference against the Red Wings like they do against the rest of the NHL, Detroit doesn't sniff the playoffs.

Hard to win games playing 4 on 5 all night, or score goals when those picks are not set.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
None of this makes it predatory. Theres a reason "keep your head up" is preached even in non-contact kids leagues.

Yes, taught as part of ensuring your own personal safety it's best to not put yourself in a position where you can get clobbered. That said, messing up and having your head down is NOT a green light to mow someone down. It's why the boarding rule was expanded, why we put STOP signs on teenagers' jerseys. Again, go read the boarding rule, it's all very clear the logic here, the word "defenceless" is specifically mentioned. The same logic would apply to open ice hits.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
IF the NHL calls interference against the Red Wings like they do against the rest of the NHL, Detroit doesn't sniff the playoffs.

Hard to win games playing 4 on 5 all night, or score goals when those picks are not set.

Yes the league has a different standard for the Wings and everyone else :laugh:

People believe this stuff! Good stuff

cheap77

Go Kings!
Mar 19, 2011
Probably wouldn't be an issue if Kronwall hit like a normal person, but he always does that weird ass hop/jump turn.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Probably wouldn't be an issue if Kronwall hit like a normal person, but he always does that weird ass hop/jump turn.

The weird ass hop/jump turn that makes it look worse but probably reduces the chance of actually hurting a guy. I mean he leveled Kucherov and I don't think Kucherov missed any time at all

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

If you haven't noticed that every team in the league interferes all over the place and it almost never gets called, you're not nearly as observant as you think you are.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Kronwall's infamous hits are predatory, he lines up guys who are defenceless when distracted by pass or another opposition player, and aims high with an upward trajectory so even if he has a toe on the ice and clips the shoulder first, the follow through is off his feet and into the head.

Breaking news: NHL will be adding the "two hand" rule next season. When a player intends on checking another player, the "checker" must only make contact lightly with both his gloves to any part of the "checkee's" body except the "checkee's" head, neck, arms, hands and legs. The "Checker" must then say "I'm Checking you" to which the "Checkee" must respond "I've been checked" Then the "Checkee" has to stop playing and count to 3 apples before he may resume playing.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Yes the league has a different standard for the Wings and everyone else :laugh:

People believe this stuff! Good stuff

Tail end of game 6, Stamkos attempts to go to the point, a Detroit player picks him. Stamkos goes down, no call of course and Detroit gets a very good scoring opportunity.

This is one of about 5 go to picks or rubs as they are called by the coaches.

If you watch Detroit on the rush they will have a player, usually a defenseman coming late. He heads to one side of the net, engages a defensive player and spins. His turning direction is always in the direction of the checker on the Detroit puck carrier coming out from behind the net.

He catches enough of the checker to impede him and it gives the puck carrier time and space to come out from in front of the net and get an uncontested shot.

Also off this play if the late player can't pick the down low defender, he circles, stops up or moves to take out high coverage(What happened to Stamkos) giving the point a real good look.

That same late player also picks the center and opens up a clear path for a cross ice pass to shoot off of.

Shall I explain more, or is this enough.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Game 7, puck in corner, Boyle stands in front of Glendening and rubs him into the boards about 15 feet from the puck.

Shall I explain more how the refs don't call the Lightning on the same standard as the rest of the league or is this enough?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

And as much as I sympathize with Wings fans about having Kronwall get suspended for one game and Palat's headshot didnt even get any attention, at the end of the day you lost 1-0 (not counting EN goal), its not like Kronwall is an offensive Juggernaut that you lost.

It's predatoty because he makes a habit of launching into their heads rather than just destroying them going straight through their chests like other players do. It's not the fact that he's hitting an unsuspecting player, it's the fact that he's hitting an unsuspecting player in the manner most likely to cause a serious injury short of going full Marchment and taking their knees out.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The weird ass hop/jump turn that makes it look worse but probably reduces the chance of actually hurting a guy. I mean he leveled Kucherov and I don't think Kucherov missed any time at all

Do you really believe that leaping into a hit reduces the chance of hurting a player?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
It's a bunch of BS spouted by fans jealous they didn't have a guy like Kronwall demolishing other players on their team. Like where most of the Detroit hate comes from: jealousy.

The guy makes one big hit a year the past 3-4 years and he's a predator, blah, blah. He mostly hits clean, and once in a while he crosses the line, but all this hate and all the tears are really satisfying. :laugh:
You are right, thats what this is all about... jealousy. We are all jealous of a bubble team who just got eliminated in the 1st round.

You would have a point if it was just a rival team's fans making these statements but a number of posters who have little reason to hate Detroit have also said that they do not like the way Kronwall approaches a hit.

Its not about the frequency of his "big hits". Its the way they are executed.

Nynja*

It's predatoty because he makes a habit of launching into their heads rather than just destroying them going straight through their chests like other players do. It's not the fact that he's hitting an unsuspecting player, it's the fact that he's hitting an unsuspecting player in the manner most likely to cause a serious injury short of going full Marchment and taking their knees out.

Everything you just said is an addendum to what I posted. However, you are adding words to what I quoted.

Kronwall's infamous hits are predatory, he lines up guys who are defenceless when distracted by pass or another opposition player
This is what I replied to, I said targeting a player who has his head down or isnt paying attention doesnt make the hit predatory. You then say that its predatory because he targets the head, which is, as I said above, an addendum to what I quoted and did not exist in my original quote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad