Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
how so. he would have had 2 years pro hockey if he started this year. he would be exempt.
edit. you are right. draft is 3 years away. maybe he only plays 9 games next year and is still eligible.
If he plays less than 10 NHL games this season he won't be eligible. Big thing for the Jets, because they can retain their best young forward talent, including Roslovic and KV.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
KHL is pretty bad league after all. Sure top teams are good, but half over of KHL teams are worst than regular AHL teams. It was bad mistake to go that slow pace league. Playing against great team 1/5 time isn't enough.

That Tolvanen kid was hyped as well, but look at him.

Reactions: sipowicz

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Vesalainen won't play in the WJC. Finnish national team coach Ahokas said that it was Vesalainen's personal decision not to go. Vesalainen hinted earlier in an interview that as the season has been so "broken" he might not go. And so he opted to focus on playing for Jokerit.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
And a strong year in the AHL like both Morrissey, Connor and Roslo doesn’t mean anything vs the KHL made up with guys no longer good enough for the AHL!

Thats why the AHL guys earn 50.000-200.000 and the KHL guys 300.000-5M? Did I mention 19% taxes in Russia...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Vesalainen won't play in the WJC. Finnish national team coach Ahokas said that it was Vesalainen's personal decision not to go. Vesalainen hinted earlier in an interview that as the season has been so "broken" he might not go. And so he opted to focus on playing for Jokerit.

Selfishly I would like to see him in the World juniors but I respect his logic and thought process. He started in the NHL moved to the AHL then got called back up to the NHL before moving back to Finland to play in the KHL. Did I mention it’s only mid December? I have no problem with him focusing a bit right now.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Selfishly I would like to see him in the World juniors but I respect his logic and thought process. He started in the NHL moved to the AHL then got called back up to the NHL before moving back to Finland to play in the KHL. Did I mention it’s only mid December? I have no problem with him focusing a bit right now.
I agree. I was put off a bit at first, but from his perspective it makes sense and seems to show a desire to develop his pro game.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I reckon that's the main reason too.

That being said... there was a way to avoid this shattered clusterf*** of a season. That way, Vesalainen would likely be a NHLer today.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I reckon that's the main reason too.

That being said... there was a way to avoid this shattered cluster**** of a season. That way, Vesalainen would likely be a NHLer today.
I respectfully (but entirely!) disagree with your characterization.
Broken does not equal "shattered" or "cluster***. Broken can also mean broken up or interrupted.
Some of the very best 18 year olds struggle with going straight to the NHL and many have been hurt by it. The entire history of the Thrashers/early Jets 2.0 is testament to that. I'd much rather he have an extra year of development.
Sacrificing a year of ELC is a wise cap and roster move given the above, especially with expansion on the horizon.
If Ves has anything near the character of the Jets other #1 picks, he will get through the tumult of this year and be a better player for it.

Reactions: FinJetster

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I respectfully (but entirely!) disagree with your characterization.
Broken does not equal "shattered" or "cluster***. Broken can also mean broken up or interrupted.
Some of the very best 18 year olds struggle with going straight to the NHL and many have been hurt by it. The entire history of the Thrashers/early Jets 2.0 is testament to that. I'd much rather he have an extra year of development.
Sacrificing a year of ELC is a wise cap and roster move given the above, especially with expansion on the horizon.
If Ves has anything near the character of the Jets other #1 picks, he will get through the tumult of this year and be a better player for it.
I agree with next to zero percent of his decision to go to the KHL over staying with the Moose. The financial reasons are legitimate, but if the kid wants to play in the show, why the f*** would he consciously choose not to play in a big role in the AHL, being the first call-up and developing on smaller ice close to the organisation?

The only way to avoid even more broken-ness was to skip the WJC, which would have been yet another opportunity to showcase his talent to the NHL. Doesn't look like somebody who puts himself in places to succeed.

Reactions: Laine Fan

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If Ves has anything near the character of the Jets other #1 picks

That's a big if.

leighton2.jpg

Reactions: irunthepeg

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I agree with next to zero percent of his decision to go to the KHL over staying with the Moose. The financial reasons are legitimate, but if the kid wants to play in the show, why the **** would he consciously choose not to play in a big role in the AHL, being the first call-up and developing on smaller ice close to the organisation?

The only way to avoid even more broken-ness was to skip the WJC, which would have been yet another opportunity to showcase his talent to the NHL. Doesn't look like somebody who puts himself in places to succeed.

I think Vesalainen rates his abilities higher than you do, whether right or wrong, but it seems pretty clear to me he has absolutely no doubt in his mind he will be in NHL very soon. I think the only doubt he has is whether he'll start as a top-6 or bottom-6 player. I believe he saw top-6 was closed for him with the Jets for the season and tearing it up in the KHL > tearing it up in the AHL. Just speculation on my part ofc. The risk is he might find out tearing it up in the KHL isn't that easy after all and that the rest of the world doesn't think KVes can just because. I haven't still decided if I have mad respect for the kid for confidence and balls, or if he's just an arrogant brat, or if I just have to accept both are true.

As for WJC, at this stage in his career I think playing there he has nothing to gain really. Wouldn't nothing short of absolute domination be kinda 'meh'?

Reactions: angrymnky

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think Vesalainen rates his abilities higher than you do, whether right or wrong, but it seems pretty clear to me he has absolutely no doubt in his mind he will be in NHL very soon. I think the only doubt he has is whether he'll start as a top-6 or bottom-6 player. I believe he saw top-6 was closed for him with the Jets for the season and tearing it up in the KHL > tearing it up in the AHL. Just speculation on my part ofc. The risk is he might find out tearing it up in the KHL isn't that easy after all and that the rest of the world doesn't think KVes can just because. I haven't still decided if I have mad respect for the kid for confidence and balls, or if he's just an arrogant brat, or if I just have to accept both are true.

As for WJC, at this stage in his career I think playing there he has nothing to gain really. Wouldn't nothing short of absolute domination be kinda 'meh'?
Nothing he could ever do in the KHL gets him in the top 6 ahead of the top 4 wingers we currently have. Ditto with Perreault, unless he is moved. He's gambling without much of an expected return. Basically, unless a trade happens, Vesalainen is basically a bottom sixer to begin with come next October - which is what he would likely be today, had he stayed.

The impression this gives is 'hey, it wasn't so easy after all, let's go home instead of doing what basically all other Jets have done to get in the show.' I f***ing hope I'm wrong.

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Nothing he could ever do in the KHL gets him in the top 6 ahead of the top 4 wingers we currently have. Ditto with Perreault, unless he is moved. He's gambling without much of an expected return. Basically, unless a trade happens, Vesalainen is basically a bottom sixer to begin with come next October - which is what he would likely be today, had he stayed.

The impression this gives is 'hey, it wasn't so easy after all, let's go home instead of doing what basically all other Jets have done to get in the show.' I ****ing hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be too sure about him being a bottom sixer next year. If he works his ass off this year and develops properly he should have a pretty good chance at a top6 position. I'm sure his skillset will be more valuable to the Jets than Ehlers eventually. I think Ehlers is more fit to play a 3rd line rather than top6 because I feel his brain doesn't always keep up with his feet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't be too sure about him being a bottom sixer next year. If he works his ass off this year and develops properly he should have a pretty good chance at a top6 position. I'm sure his skillset will be more valuable to the Jets than Ehlers eventually. I think Ehlers is more fit to play a 3rd line rather than top6 because I feel his brain doesn't always keep up with his feet.
Ehlers has been outstanding this season, plain and simple. KV might be good, but he's not knocking Ehlers out of the top six next year.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Ehlers has been outstanding this season, plain and simple. KV might be good, but he's not knocking Ehlers out of the top six next year.
I do not disagree with you in the fact that Vesalainen will not knock Ehlers out of top six, but just to refresh your memory, here's what Ehlers's start looked like;

Screenshot - 8a5dec6a382f1c156987d64061daa128 - Gyazo

He was great when he played with the first line, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad