Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It's funny nobody mentions the improvement in Niku's game since he got to NA and playing in the AHL (or Connors, Roslo's etc.) but somehow Versa-Lainein needs to go back to Findland and mommy and the KHL to get better!

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't know why people want to make a big deal over this.

He negotiated the option into his contract, he gets to go home, make more money, and play in a better league. It's not going to affect his long-term NHL chances, he'll be back next year. Players still develop playing in the KHL, and he's playing for his hometown team. He'll play in the WJC, he'll likely play in the Worlds, and there's a decent chance he's back with the Moose/Jets by the end of the season.

It's really a non-issue.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

He negotiated the option into his contract, he gets to go home, make more money, and play in a better league. It's not going to affect his long-term NHL chances, he'll be back next year. Players still develop playing in the KHL, and he's playing for his hometown team. He'll play in the WJC, he'll likely play in the Worlds, and there's a decent chance he's back with the Moose/Jets by the end of the season.

It's really a non-issue.

He would have played in the WJC had he stayed with the Moose. True talent develops wherever it's played but it's the guys who need to work on specific aspects of their game where the AHL helps, playing the KHL east-west game isn't going to help Versa-Lainein as much as if he would have stayed in the AHL! Versa-Lainein isn't exactly Laine or Connor or even Ehlers where these guys were loaded with talent and certain skill sets.

Reactions: larmex99

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Continue.

An idiotic decision from his part to go to the KHL.

Next thing you know, it's going to be Appleton getting the shot. Or Petan. Or Lemieux. Or Roslovic.

If half a season with Jokerit is really worth delaying the inevitable breakout by a year, good ****ing luck.

Couple injuries this season and Versa-lainein would be playing here with the Jets again this season, don't get the Tucker Poolman like rational of delaying you're career for no good reason.

Appleton will be the guy called up now over Versa-Lainein for no other reason than Versa-Lainein missing mommy!

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Continue.

Next thing you know, it's going to be Appleton getting the shot. Or Petan. Or Lemieux. Or Roslovic.

If half a season with Jokerit is really worth delaying the inevitable breakout by a year, good ****ing luck.

Jets weren't going to take a chance on him anywhere but the 4th line this year. He already got his "shot", we saw what it was and it's clear he isn't cracking the top 9 yet. Besides, the KHL season ends earlier than the NHL's so he might still get some games.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He would have played in the WJC had he stayed with the Moose. True talent develops wherever it's played but it's the guys who need to work on specific aspects of their game where the AHL helps, playing the KHL east-west game isn't going to help Versa-Lainein as much as if he would have stayed in the AHL! Versa-Lainein isn't exactly Laine or Connor or even Ehlers where these guys were loaded with talent and certain skill sets.
Vesalainen showed plenty of talent playing in Liga last season, he'll continue to develop in the K. The Jets coaches had a quarter of a season to stress what he needs to develop, that's more than they would have with any player who goes back to juniors. A lot of European posters would argue that he's better off in Jokerit. I think there's an argument for either, but realistically it's more important for the player to be happy and comfortable in their situation.

I'd probably prefer he was in the AHL because there is more supervision of his development, same system as the Jets, can be called up, etc. but it is far from a big issue.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's funny nobody mentions the improvement in Niku's game since he got to NA and playing in the AHL (or Connors, Roslo's etc.) but somehow Versa-Lainein needs to go back to Findland and mommy and the KHL to get better!

How many years did Scheif spend in the AHL?
Wheeler? Little? Myers? Trouba?

He's going back to Europe for 1 season, not 6.

Morrissey was still in Junior at the same age.

Niku was still in Liiga.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'll be more disappointed when the injuries hit and we start moving up Petan, Lemiuex, Appleton, etc. I think Vesalainen is more skilled and responsible already than all those, with a higher ceiling.

I don't hold the K in high regard, but good luck, KV!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I dunno Sip. Liiga developed Niku to be AHL D of the year as a rookie.

My main concern for KVes is whether he'll get enough icetime for Jokerit. They are a top KHL team, so I hope he doesn't get limited opportunity.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Continue.

Boy, check out this hot take. :rolleyes:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He wouldn't have been called up again due to the slide rule.
I believe he would be our best option with regards to AHL call-ups today. Call me crazy, but I think you want your best players to be on the ice.

If we assume this is true, KV gave up on a favourable situation in case there was an injury.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Eh, he's behind Perreault Petan and Roslovic for a top 6 spot, so even if he got recalled he'd be playing on the fourth line again.

If we had enough injuries to put him in the top 6 we're screwed anyways.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When did the AHL become the only place for NHL players to develop?

I think it's the best place but I also am not very high on players developing in the KHL. Liiga and SHL are better in my opinion at least at preparing kids for the NHL.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I have a feeling you will start calling Vesalainen "Burmistrov 3.0" after his tenure in the KHL is over :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I have a feeling you will start calling Vesalainen "Burmistrov 3.0" after his tenure in the KHL is over :laugh:

Props for remembering that Burmi 2.0 had already been taken by a small in stature, light on goals current overpaid Jet!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

It's really a non-issue.

When it comes to player's development towards becoming an NHL player, "better league" isn't necessarily best option. AHL style and rink size would work better when it comes to adjustment. He goes from playing in a smaller rink and adapting to it, faster play and more physicality to better competition but bigger rinks, slower play and less physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->